It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
(female)

valley20 HB User
What are good gifts for cancer patients?

Hi. I'm new here. A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with rectal cancer in November. She took oral chemo for a few months and then when they were doing the pre-op tests before they removed the rest of the tumor, they found it had moved to her lungs. They also found that she has 4 brain annuerisms.(sp?)

She was scheduled to have a port a cathe put in last week but due to her thyroid being unstable, they postponed it because her primary did not give the "all clear" for the surgery to go ahead. Instead, they gave her her first IV chemo. The next day, she got stabbing pains in her head and needed an emergency PET scan. That was the last I heard from her. I heard from her sister today who said that she's in the hospital and will be home within a day or two and will write then (my friend lives a few hundred miles from me and we keep in touch daily through emails)

I want to send her a care package but i'm out of ideas. I've already sent small comfort things like Queasy Drops, Heat therapy packs, cucumber eye patches w/ gel, Ensure, power bars, soup...etc...just small stuff like that.

Now i'm thinking of sending her something to really help....i've read that there are lotions to help with peeling skin, special shampoo to help with hair loss and other stuff like that. But I have no idea of what to buy other than those 2 products.

Can anyone think of some soothing "must have" things to help her get through her treatments a little better? And special bath soaks, aroma therapy, special toothpastes, skin care products, foods, music, books...anything? I'm so overwhelmed and dont know where to begin. I just want to do something...anything to make her feel loved and pampered from afar. I've been sending weekly cards but am not satisfied doing just that (she would say that that was plenty). All she has close by her is her husband and he has to work daily so its very important to me to be able to send some love in the mail like this.

so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
(female)

Claud1951 HB User
Re: What are good gifts for cancer patients?

Hi Valley,

I'm sorry your friend has to go through all of this. I'm just 2 sessions into chemo and can tell you what I would or wouldn't want. I'm sure there are others that will help you out as well.

Personnally, I would stay away from any kind of scents, aroma's, etc. Food, also can be tricky to have. Certain times she may be okay with food (I am after about 1 week after IV) (I take IV plus oral).

Since the pills can affect your hands and feet (dry cracked) it was suggested I get either Eucerin cream or Aquaphor (by Eucerin...which I bought). It's an ointment and seems to work well. My Mother had some white gloves (from years ago) and I wear them at night with the ointment.

You rest alot (or I do) and I enjoy listening to Books on Tape. Either on the stero or IPOD or earphone tape player. I know you are not close but the library has the books or you can buy them, too.

As far as mouth products, my dentist/periodondist suggestion I get Non-Alchol Tooth Paste (kids tooth paste which I've been using for years. It does not dry your mouth out) and mouth wash (ACT). The health food stores might have a better selection but I don't mind the taste of the Crest Kids toothpaste.

Gloves, if she has side effects from the cold. I use gloves to get things out of the refridgerator. Something that will stop the cold but yet can crasp with.

Hope this helps and my best to your friend and you
Claudia

Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 AM   #3
(female)

valley20 HB User

Claudia, thanks so much for the suggestions. They help a lot. I wouldnt have thought of books on tape or some soft gloves. The kids toothpaste/mouthwash is a wonderful suggestion too. And i'll look for those lotion products you mentioned.

Really appreciate the help. I wish you the very best during your treatments. I hope you find yourself cancer free soon!

with warmest regards,
val

Old 05-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
(male)

Brad06 HB User

A few other things that are nice- socks to wear around the house, and movies are great when you don't feel good. Maybe a subscription to Netfix or Blockbuster then they can come to her house without her needing to go out and get them. I've received lots of books that I didn't care for. My eyes dry out and concentration is hard when I'm taking the chemo. People keep giving me things I don't what to read then asking how far along I am. So maybe stay away from books. You could always give a drugstore gift card. Meds are expensive and she's spending lots there. One of the best gifts I received was a cross pendant. I never take it off. God Bless

Brad

Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #5
(female)

valley20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad06 View Post
A few other things that are nice- socks to wear around the house, and movies are great when you don't feel good. Maybe a subscription to Netfix or Blockbuster then they can come to her house without her needing to go out and get them. I've received lots of books that I didn't care for. My eyes dry out and concentration is hard when I'm taking the chemo. People keep giving me things I don't what to read then asking how far along I am. So maybe stay away from books. You could always give a drugstore gift card. Meds are expensive and she's spending lots there. One of the best gifts I received was a cross pendant. I never take it off. God Bless

Brad
Thanks for the good advice, Brad. I sent her some socks, cotton gloves & Eucerin lotion to help with any dry skin she might experience. The socks are a great idea...everyone can use socks and they are so soft and thick...like getting foot hug, lol.

Closed Thread