It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User
Radiotherapy

My mum was diagnosed with rectal cancer 5 weeks ago and I was shocked, so badly shocked I contracted shingles and was very poorly. I am so worried about her, she has had the tumour removed and is now facing radiotherapy. Can anyone tell me what she will be facing with the radiotherapy? She will be tired and sick we have been told, and has got to go to hospital every day for 4 weeks! We came out of the oncology centre and I wished I had asked more questions for her. Does the radiotherapy every day mean every day or do you get weekends off? She has been told she may have bladder trouble after the radiation and more bowel trouble is that right? She is 75 and I am very worried for her. If anyone can give me any info on what to expect I would appreciate it.

Ronnie

Old 06-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Radiotherapy

I am so sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis and I can imagine how scared and confused you must feel. The radiotherapy was administered on my husband for five weeks every weekday, so he had weekends off. I think this is the normal protocol but it would be a good idea to ask your mother's oncologist any questions you want answered. Every case is different and everyone responds in their own way to treatment, so while she may have bladder and bowel problems, she may not. Certainly towards the end of treatment she may feel more tired and may have diarrhoea. You note I say "may"! As I say, everyone responds differently.

Is she also to get chemotherapy? Do you know what stage she has? These are the useful questions to ask her medical team. To encourage you, my husband, nearly 65 at the time, was dx Stage 111C nearly four years ago. He had eight months of chemotherapy and 5 weeks of radiotherapy as well as prostate problems running concurrently, so he did not have an easy time. However, he is doing so well right now...working full time and very nearly back to normal. He does have urgency to use the bathroom but has it under control.

I wish you and your mother the very best. Post back with any questions that we might be able to help with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
(female)

crohnie HB User

you get weekends off. It was very tiring and eventually painful. I went for 7 weeks and my skin was black and burnt. I had no bladder issues

Good Luck. Tell her to take good care of her skin at the beginning and ongoing. Keep ir aired out as much as possible and sleep with no underwear. It will heal faster

I was tired and sick but I went to work everyday

Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ronnied HB UserRonnied HB User

Dear Crhonie and Alison,

Thank you so much for your replies. They were encouraging. I will ask the oncologist more questions when we go to the planning clinic. Like you say everyone is different, I hope she doesnt suffer too much. Good luck to both of you. Thanks

Ronnie

Closed Thread