It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

bgisur HB User
41 and colonoscopy yesterday..I have questions

Hi,

I had rectal bleeding for five weeks and I was advised to have an colonoscopy. In the daze that followed my Dr. tld me I had internal hemmrhoids (spelling) and he removed 1 small polyp. He said something about the polyp that started with an "a" and told me to come back every 5 years. I am waiting on pathology now. He said if I continue to bleed I should seek a surgeon to have the hemmrhoids removed. Are polyps common at my age and should I be worried that it is cancer? Kathy

Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: 41 and colonoscopy yesterday..I have questions

Yes, polyps can happen at almost any age...that is why it is good to get a colonoscopy, particularly if there is any family history of colorectal cancer. It sounds as if yours was benign but he will probably send it for biospy just to be sure. The fact that he said to check again in five years is very encouraging!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

pillykana HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison hamilton View Post
Yes, polyps can happen at almost any age...that is why it is good to get a colonoscopy, particularly if there is any family history of colorectal cancer. It sounds as if yours was benign but he will probably send it for biospy just to be sure. The fact that he said to check again in five years is very encouraging!
I'm 30 and had 2 removed. I need to go back every 5 years, too. We're not too young. We're the lucky who were checked and they caught them.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

I had my colonoscopy last week, in fact have to call tomorrow for the pathology report. I had 8 polyps removed, all but two were over 15 mm.
I am hoping for good news tomorrow. I have to go back in one year for another colonoscopy though. How come the rest of you only have to go every 5 years?
Sandi

Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandim View Post
I had my colonoscopy last week, in fact have to call tomorrow for the pathology report. I had 8 polyps removed, all but two were over 15 mm.
I am hoping for good news tomorrow. I have to go back in one year for another colonoscopy though. How come the rest of you only have to go every 5 years?
Sandi
That's a good question Sandi,
but personally I would rather go every year and catch anything early than wait 5 years if you are prone to developing polyps or cancer. I had mine done 2 years ago and nothing found but am anxious about problems I'm having and thinking of having another just to be sure...Right now it's the best screening test there is.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

I am 41 and had mine in feb and I was told to come back in 10 years. They didnt find anything but also said I had internal hemmorhoids. I didn't have any bleeding.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:02 PM   #7
(female)

bgisur HB User

Hi,
Getting nervous. I called the DR. office Wednesday and the receptionist told me the report came in Tues and she would have the Dr. call me. No call. i called this AM (Friday) and she said Dr. out and will call me tonight or tomorrow. i am getting nervous. I had the procedure done 7/23. What has been your experience with getting results..Thanks

Old 08-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

I got my results when I was in the recovery room. I also got pictures of my colon and stomach. They were all laughing and I was just waking up. I got a cup of juice and pictures and left.

Did your doctor do the colonsocopy or send you somewhere to have it done. that could be why you had to wait.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

candle66 HB User

oops, sorry I misread your post. I thought you meant after you had the colonsocopy.

With me they did say I had some polyps in my stomach, he said they looked benign and not worried but sent them out to be tested anyway. I believe I had to wait a few days as well for the results. The nurse just gave the results over the phone.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I think some doctors do not authorize their staff to give results but it is agonizing waiting for the results to come through and I think they should be more sensitive to our anxiety.

Hope you get good results soon.

Closed Thread