It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

BlueEyes2022 HB User
Unhappy Colonoscopy

Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is having a nice week. So last week 7/17 I had gotten out of work early since I was having some rectal bleeding and was concerned about it so I got out early and went to the doctor and had things checked out by my family doctor which he didn't like the results that he got right there at the office. So after was all said and done he suggested that I get a colonscopy done, so I am going in next Thursday (Aug. 2nd) and to tell you the truth I am very nervous about it all. Anyone that has had this done could you please give me some pointers on how the day before is going to be with not being able to eat anything all day, how the day of on how things are going to be, and also how the day after is going to be. I have talked to my doctor and also the nurse but it would be nice to talk to people on here that could tell me a little about it also. And also I am on 20 going on 21 in September...so I am kind of young to have this being done in the first place. Thank you for your time,
Louise

Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
(female)

Su07 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy

Hello BlueEyes,

I just had my third colonoscopy and have a few tips and some info for you, based on my experiences with the test.

The prep day (day of fasting before the colonoscopy) is a lot easier and much less boring if you provide yourself a variety of liquids to choose from. My doctor allowed Ensure, Boost and Glucerna along with the clear liquids so I chose Butter Pecan Boost to drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also made Lime Jello so that I could still have something to "eat" during the day (be sure to stay away from anything containing red or orange food coloring). In addition to water, I drank tea, chicken broth, clear Powerade, Sprite and white grape juice.

One of the nurses suggested that I drink at least 2 quarts of fluids throughout the day, which I did, starting when I woke up and continued every 30 minutes. I set a kitchen timer and drink at least 4 ounces every 30 minutes until it was time to drink the jug of HalfLytely, the prep solution. It's also important to drink plenty of fluids after you complete the prep solution. By doing so, I avoided the sometimes painful cramping that comes on during the purge process. I wish someone had told me about this before my previous colonoscopies.

If you're drinking the liquid prep solution, drinking it ice-cold and through a straw makes it go down a bit easier I find.

Another tip is to have the softest toilet paper you can find and/or some flushable personal hygiene wipes for when the prep solution and Dulcolax pills kick in. Using Vaseline as a coating during that time helps a lot too.

By far, prep day is the unpleasant side of the whole experience but, as mentioned, drinking a lot during the day really helps.

As for the procedure itself, you won't feel or remember a thing. The nurse starts an IV, then you're fitted with several monitors (blood pressure, etc.), the doctor comes in and talks with you for a bit and before you know it, you're out! You'll wake up in recovery and then someone drives you home. (I was even given a biscuit and soft drink to eat when I woke up and was fully responsive.)

The day of the procedure you are to take it easy...do nothing but rest. You'll most likely feel a bit bloated and gassy...same for the next day, though not as much. Other than that, you feel fine...very little, if any, discomfort.

I hope this helps some and that all goes well for you. Take care.

Last edited by Su07; 07-26-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

busymommy HB Userbusymommy HB User

Hi, Su:

I'm going to have one done in the coming weeks and found your info to be very thoughtful and informative. Thank you very much!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
(female)

Bluesy HB User

Su hit the nail on the head! I work for a GI doctor and there are so many patients that get dehydrated because they do not drink enough liquids. Many of them waste their time and actually eat something even though they were warned not to. I know everyone is different, but when a patient eats something it ALWAYS shows up on the test results and they make them prep all over again. It isn't worth it. I've never had one personally, but like Su said, the prep is the worst part.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
(female)

Well, I just had mine. Quite an experience, that prepping! I was proud of myself for following Su's suggestion to drink a lot of additional water during the day, so no cramping. I went to bed around 9:30 that night thinking I was "done" with "going," but woke up at 1:00 a.m. needing to "go" more and at this time they said no fluids after 12:00 a.m. so I was feeling sick because I was on the verge of dehydration so I had to gulp down some water anyway which I found out later was ok. I was doing so well all day until this happened. So, my advice is to take Su's advice. Drink additional water all day long and as long as you can until they say to stop fluids, or you will become dehydrated. The procedure was ok, except I did feel pain and I found out later they can only give you so much pain/twilight meds so that your blood pressure doesn't go too low, which I guess mine was. But after it's all over, you don't remember that you were in pain, because it's over. My results were no polyps, no cancer, just a few hemms which a lot of people have. Next colonoscopy in 10 years (of course unless it's warranted sooner)...Whoo Hoo!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

busymommy - Congrats on the clean bill of health!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
(female)

Thank you, Nyxie. I am very happy and hope everyone's results are "negative" too!

Closed Thread