It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

BlueEyes2022 HB User
Unhappy Colonoscopy

Hi Everyone,
Hope everyone is having a nice week. So last week 7/17 I had gotten out of work early since I was having some rectal bleeding and was concerned about it so I got out early and went to the doctor and had things checked out by my family doctor which he didn't like the results that he got right there at the office. So after was all said and done he suggested that I get a colonscopy done, so I am going in next Thursday (Aug. 2nd) and to tell you the truth I am very nervous about it all. Anyone that has had this done could you please give me some pointers on how the day before is going to be with not being able to eat anything all day, how the day of on how things are going to be, and also how the day after is going to be. I have talked to my doctor and also the nurse but it would be nice to talk to people on here that could tell me a little about it also. And also I am on 20 going on 21 in September...so I am kind of young to have this being done in the first place.

Thank you for your time,
Louise

Old 07-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

Claud1951 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy

Hi Louise,

I have had plenty of colonoscopies. There is really nothing to worry about. The day of the procedure, you won't feel anything, let alone remember any thing.

The day before, I'm sure the doctor will tell you to drink only clear liquids. And don't eat/drink anything red. (chicken broth, tea, popsicles, jello). I don't know which kind of "prep" you will be taking but just plan on staying home once you start the prep because you will be using the bathroom alot. it doesn't hurt, just annoying to have to go to pot all the time.

Your bowels will run clear liquid when everything else is out. And...you'll feel very skinny!! Ha...I did.

Try not to worry. I know the first time is scary but again..nothing to worry about.

Will be thinking of you... The day you get your test is my birthday so you'll be just fine.

Claudia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
(female)

bgisur HB User

Hi Louise,

I have to totally agree with Claudia. My prep was not bad. Two tips 1)drink the meds chilled and 2) switch to a straw when you think you cannot take another glass. I only had 1 bowl of broth the day of my prep. The day of the procedure I felt nothing. Later that day I was eating regular food with no problems. I am waiting on results from the one polyp they removed. I was also informed that I had internal hemmroids and the DR. thought that was the cause of the bleeding. Good luck it is not bad...Kathy

Old 07-26-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
(female)

crohnie HB User

The prep is worse than the test. If you already have an illness, ( like Crohns) the prep damn near kills you

Like everyone said, nothing red...try to stick with SF liquid.

I take prep day off from work. It is too much

Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
(male)

JesseA HB User

Im super scared of being "put to sleep". I fear i will die during it.

Can i stay awake during the colonoscopy?

Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

You aren't really asleep like you are with general anesthesia, you are put in what's called a twilight sleep, which means that you are lightly nodding off, won't remember the procedure itself, but you can move on command, and follow directions.
A colonscopy is not really something that you want to be awake for hon. I know some have been aware of it during, but it's uncomfortable, and they use air to enlarge the colon which can be a bit crampy.....there is a whole lot of colon to view....it's really not that bad, and you are awake as soon as the procedure is over.
Good luck hon.
Sandi

Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #7
(female)

Su07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
Im super scared of being "put to sleep". I fear i will die during it.

Can i stay awake during the colonoscopy?
Jesse, I've had three colonoscopies, one proctoscope and one flexible sigmoid. Trust me when I say that by far, the colonoscopy, with its sedation and even with the day of prep beforehand, is the way to go...the meds given lull you to sleep, you don't feel a thing and won't remember the procedure afterward. The pain during the proctoscope was unbearable and the sigmoid I was told would be pain-free and was far from that. I can only imagine what it would be like if one were unsedated during a colonoscopy. I, too, was leery of any sedation but this is not like a general anesthesia and you will be well-monitored the entire procedure. I'm such a baby when it comes to these sort of things and if I can do it, anyone can! : ) Best of luck to you.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
(male)

tlcintx HB User

BlueEyes:

You are in for a big disappointment.....the prep and procedure are a walk in the park. I've had several and I dread getting my teeth cleaned more then the colonoscopy. And at your age you'll be ready to go dancing when you leave the recovery room (after a big meal that is....)

Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su07 View Post
Jesse, I've had three colonoscopies, one proctoscope and one flexible sigmoid. Trust me when I say that by far, the colonoscopy, with its sedation and even with the day of prep beforehand, is the way to go...the meds given lull you to sleep, you don't feel a thing and won't remember the procedure afterward. The pain during the proctoscope was unbearable and the sigmoid I was told would be pain-free and was far from that. I can only imagine what it would be like if one were unsedated during a colonoscopy. I, too, was leery of any sedation but this is not like a general anesthesia and you will be well-monitored the entire procedure. I'm such a baby when it comes to these sort of things and if I can do it, anyone can! : ) Best of luck to you.

I just want to say that I've had two colonscopies, the first without sedation just something to relax me. It was the most horrible thing I've ever gone through next to giving birth. The second time, I had sedation and it was no problem at all. The prep isn't a picnic, but not the worse thing either.
It's worth it for the peace of mind.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
(female)

Stitcher317 HB User

I need to schedule a colonoscopy as a routine procedure. I am 65 and haven't had one as yet. What's holding me back is the dreaded prep. Many of my friends have experience severe nausea and vomitting which I have a phobia against!

Which prep is the easiest? I can't imagine going without food for a day as I am ALWAYS hungry and get shakiy if I don't eat....

Dreading this big time but really should get it over with. I know I'll feel so much better if I do.

Thanks everyone....

Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
(male)

JesseA HB User

Thanks everyone!

@Stitcher- I was concerned about the not eating as well, Im always hungry and I feel light headed if i dont eat, but from reading the forums I think you can drink like shakes and eat jello.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
(female)

anprdp HB User

The worst thing about a colonoscopy is what everyone else says. "The prep."

I am diabetic, have hemmorhoids,have IBS, and have half a colon. The prep just about near kills me from the burning and my bathroom has less sheet rock to prove that. But I go every year none the less to get mine anyways. In Feb. you will see my back here counting it down as I do every year without falter. This will be my 3rd and it will be a few days before my 31st birthday. The diabetes and not eating isn't that big of a deal. Basically, if you get shaky from low blood sugar or what not drink some apple juice. The sugar in it will lift you up. As for having a colonoscopy awake...I would shoot myself first =) Sorry , but that is not something you want done awake lol. I have had 11 surgeries, 2 this year and usually one every year due to the fact I am apparently falling apart. The worst thing about anestheia is feeling sick afterwards which doesn't happen with everyone, but does sometimes with me. I have no removalable parts left so surgery does not scare me. But, the threat of colon cancer keeps me coming back every year to do the prep from hell and go get knocked out and wake up all happy.
The prep to me is no worse than some of the diabetes medicines I take that make me so sick I can't take it. So for you who dread that for one day....think how lucky you are its just a day =)

Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

sandim HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anprdp View Post
The worst thing about a colonoscopy is what everyone else says. "The prep."

I am diabetic, have hemmorhoids,have IBS, and have half a colon. The prep just about near kills me from the burning and my bathroom has less sheet rock to prove that. But I go every year none the less to get mine anyways. In Feb. you will see my back here counting it down as I do every year without falter. This will be my 3rd and it will be a few days before my 31st birthday. The diabetes and not eating isn't that big of a deal. Basically, if you get shaky from low blood sugar or what not drink some apple juice. The sugar in it will lift you up. As for having a colonoscopy awake...I would shoot myself first =) Sorry , but that is not something you want done awake lol. I have had 11 surgeries, 2 this year and usually one every year due to the fact I am apparently falling apart. The worst thing about anestheia is feeling sick afterwards which doesn't happen with everyone, but does sometimes with me. I have no removalable parts left so surgery does not scare me. But, the threat of colon cancer keeps me coming back every year to do the prep from hell and go get knocked out and wake up all happy.
The prep to me is no worse than some of the diabetes medicines I take that make me so sick I can't take it. So for you who dread that for one day....think how lucky you are its just a day =)

I had the phoso soda prep and I can tell you it's worse than a few mouthfuls of sea salt all at once. But I did find a way to cover ( well mostly) the salt taste and that was to mix it in pink lemonade. The pink lemonade is just sweet enough to counteract the salt and has a tangy taste which also helps.
I mixed the lemonade a little sweeter than I would have normally, but I got it down and that's what counted.
That might help someone else in trying to figure out how to do the prep and get through it.
Also I keep seeing where people think they can't eat. That's not true or wasn't with mine anyway. I could eat, but just broth or clear liquids like jello ( no reds), milk shakes are out because they contain milk , juices like apple, white grape, etc again no red juices like hawaiian punch or fruit punch got me through the day. I also made it easier on myself by sticking to a liquid diet for two days prior to the procedure.
Sandi M

Old 07-28-2007, 08:54 AM   #14
(female)

ashmegmom HB User

Hi I am going to be having a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks also. This will be my first at 42 yrs of age. I have been having blood in my stool and the doctor thinks we need to check it out. I am very nervous not only about the test but the results. Please let me know how things go with yours!

Ashmegmom

Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
(female)

crohnie HB User

The fastest, less evasive prep is Visicol pills and SF Soda. No puking, no nausea and works well. Ask you doctor for a script for them

Closed Thread