It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Skin tags and colon polyps

Are there folks here with a lot of skin tags who have also been dx'd with colon polyps? Was it cancer? I've read a bunch of studies on correlations between the two (skin tags and colon polyps). Some say yes, some say no. I wanted to hear from folks who've been through it.

Prior to my colonoscopy this past Wednesday, my mind kept making a connection between the two. I have a lot of skin tags and they found a polyp during the procedure which was removed for testing. While I'm not freaking out and going "OMG it's cancer!", there is, of course, a certain amount of concern. I get the path report in 2 weeks when I see the Gastro for a follow-up visit.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any input you have on this subject. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

larbo's wife HB User
Re: Skin tags and colon polyps

I guess I never heard of that connection. My husband was diagnosed with rectal cancer July 2005. He has always had lots of skin tags. His doctors never mentioned anything about them He didn't have any polyps on his colon. He had a flat mass growing into the rectal wall. Today he is doing fine and he has his 1 year anniversary colonoscopy coming up , Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm so glad to hear your husband's doing so well.

For some reason, my mind made the connection a couple of weeks before the colonoscopy. I then decided to check out studies to see if there really was any correlation. While there are a decent amount of clinical studies out there, they tend to conflict and many are inconclusive. Was hoping someone else had made the connection, based on their personal experience.

Thanks for your input!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

This has come up before. I am unaware of any clinical study that shows a correlation between that two.

That said, personally I have had ONE skin tag form in my life. It did so about 6 months prior to my going to the doctor concerned about the blood in my stool which turned out to be from a rectal tumor.

That is anecdotal evidence though.

I am quite sure that there are a large number of people out there with skin tags and who never have colon cancer.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I have a few tiny ones but a colonoscopy (not done because of the skin tags!!) showed no polyps. I have read conflicting reports too.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
(female)

crohnie HB User

I had rectal cancer and over 50 polyps and I have kept most of them due to the fact that you cannot remove them all. But I get them biopsied frequently

Old 09-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #7
(female)

vallegrrl HB User

I have had four colon polyps removed in the past six years, one precancerous, the rest benign. I also have had a benign cervical polyp removed. I have probably a couple dozen skin tags all over my body, some really small, a few large and annoying, one my dr has encouraged me to get removed. They keep forming a few each year. I am 62. So for me maybe there is a connection.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all your replies!

Don't really know what I was looking for when starting this thread. Maybe as some kind of assurance. Maybe just to occupy myself until the test results come back. I'm wound so tight right now, I'd probably jump out of my skin at a loud noise... literally. This is my 3rd cancer scare in 2 years and its getting old. Not getting any easier, just old. Fortunately, the other two came back negative (breast and thyroid), but still. Due for yet another biopsy on my thyroid next month. Its not the tests that get me, its the waiting for results. Ok, catharsis over.

Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User

very interesting. I started having several small skin tags around my lower neck and shoulder area about 10 years ago. I recently had a colonoscopy and it showed several polyps which were removed. I also have a benign colon tumor that may, probably, require surgery. It would be an interest correlation if it is in fact one. It may give people an early warning signal. I know they have found correlations with male pattern balding and crease lines in the lower ear lobe to heart disease.
gwb

Old 09-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

hukleberrie HB User

Interesting... I have some skin tags. I got them when I was pregnant & I was told they would go away but they never have (14 years ago). I am currently getting ready for a colonscopy & EGD due to positive hemocult test & unintentional weight loss. I have also just been diagnosed with some ovarian cysts & when getting my pap I was told there was a cervical cyst also.

I hope this is just a coincidence for you all. My brother was just diagnosed with terminal cancer & all this is making me very nervous about what my problem is....

Closed Thread