It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
how much colon is removed?

I am hoping someone can give me some information about colon resection surgery. How much of the colon can be removed? I see that some people have as little as 2 inches removed while other people can have up to 24 or 30 inches removed. What is the usual amount of colon removed, if there is a usual or normal amount. My doctor said he thinks he will be removing about 12 inches.
What are the implications for length removed? I am guessing that less is better but I am not sure what is a lot and what is not so much. does it take longer to recover if they remove more or are there other long term implication. Any information or help will be much appreciated.

Old 09-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Smartcookie HB User
Re: how much colon is removed?

My father had 12" removed (1 foot) the first time, then the second time around I dont recall but the first time when we said "12 inches???" the surgeon said, Dont worry, we have 35 feet of colon, one foot is nothing.

Depending on where exactly it is removed, it makes a little difference - my fathers was closer to the rectum, this making it a tad harder to reconnect.
I think the more you have removd, the more frequently one has to use the washroom, since the "waste" has less to go through. Not sure though.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcookie View Post
My father had 12" removed (1 foot) the first time, then the second time around I dont recall but the first time when we said "12 inches???" the surgeon said, Dont worry, we have 35 feet of colon, one foot is nothing.

Depending on where exactly it is removed, it makes a little difference - my fathers was closer to the rectum, this making it a tad harder to reconnect.
I think the more you have removd, the more frequently one has to use the washroom, since the "waste" has less to go through. Not sure though.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:22 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Smartcookie HB User

Hi, there was no reply, just my quote..... ?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:52 AM   #5
(male)

Hi Smartcookie,
Sorry, I goofed up. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. It was very helpful and did make me feel a bit better. I was wondering if I was going to get any response and maybe I had asked a dumb question. I hope your father is doing well. I will be having the surgery any day now or within a couple of weeks at the most. Maybe I will never miss 12 inches of my colon and the trade -off will be worth it if it works out well. Here is hoping.
gwb

Old 09-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

I believe we only have 5-6 feet of colon....(?)

Good luck,
Linda
(Had a foot taken during recent re-section surgery)

Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
(male)

Thanks Linda,
I was wondering if she meant 30 feet including both the small and large intestine. I think you correct. I hope you are doing well and not missing that extra foot of colon.
gary

Old 09-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

libloom HB User

Gary....

Don't miss it at all.....

Haven't had any of the daily cramping, bloating, excessive gas since the surgery. Having it done was the smartest decision I've made in a long time.

Best wishes,
Linda

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #9
(female)

Claud1951 HB User

Hi GWB123,

I had 12 inches of my colon removed last Feburary. It was in my 'asending colon" which is all the way over on the right side. From the Appendicts up. I am back to normal now bowl wise. Just depending on the situation..but I would imagine about 12 inches is the norm.

Depending on how they remove it. Some have surgery and they cut you from underneath your breast down to you pubic. That is how mine was taken out. I have heard about laproscopic (sp) also.

It takes 6 weeks to recover. Sure it hurts but you just need to get up when they say get up (the nurses will make you walk the day after). You will heal much better if you get up and walk as much as you can. Trust me. It's true.

I was dx'd with Stage III colon cancer. The surgeon got the tumor (it did not break through the wall) but it did get in 2 out of 28 lymph nodes. I am now on Chemo and only have 2 more treatments to Go!..Yeah!

The surgery was not a big deal (for me anyway). I usually breeze through them. it does hurt but after a while, you don't even remember that! Just make sure you write questions down on paper and ask doctor. Keep a good attitiude. that helps so much!!

My best to you
Claudia

Closed Thread