It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM   #1
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
Not sure what going on?

Hi,
I hope someone has had a similar experience they can share or offer some insight on what is going on with me. I have had 2 colonoscopies over the past 2 months. They have found moderate diverticulitis, polyps which were removed and one tumor which they took several samples of for biopsies which came back negative for cancer. All biopsies of polyps and tumor came back negative for cancer and negative for pre-cancerous conditions. Last week in the second colonoscopy the doctor took more biopsies of the tumor which I am still waiting for results on. I am wondering why they keep taking biopsies?

They were unable on both colonoscopies to go past the tumor area, even with a thinner scope. I am scheduled for colon resection surgery (hopefully lap) in a couple of weeks which I am not looking forward to. It would certainly be less stressful if I was assured that there was not cancer, but it seems like that is always a possibility. Because they could not do a complete colonoscopy we still don't know the entire picture of what is going on. The CAT scan seems to show everything clear beyond the tumor area but the Scan is not that clear either. So I am awaiting surgery and still not sure what is going on. I am wondering if they will be able to tell more from the surgery itself or if we are going ahead with the surgery without having a good idea about why we are doing it. The doctor said if you cannot get a scope through the area you really have no choice but surgery. I would love to have some more information from anyone who who has had a similar experience and would appreciate your information and advice very much.

Last edited by gwb123; 10-07-2007 at 09:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
(female)

Ebby31 HB User
Re: Not sure what going on?

I am a newbie on the board. I am also going through the same thing as you.
In Oct of 2006 made a trip to the emergency room and was diagnosed with diverticulitis, came out of the emergency room in worse shape than I went in. Was allergic to the dye used in the Cat Scan, also allergic to the high dose of Flagyl and came down with phlebitis where they placed the "port". November of 2006 I had a colonoscopy, five polyps were removed but they could not get the scope to go any further than midway through my colon. December 2006 I was sent for another test, do not know the name of the procedure but it consisted of a barium enema and air being puffed into the colon, with not being able to continue the colonoscopy my gastroenterolist wanted this test done so he could see what was going on in the part of the colon he could not get the scope through. Learned that my colon is what is called a "torteous colon" not sure what this means! He told me that he could do surgery that was not covered by my insurance company. Really and truly I have not felt good for one year, if my colon flares up I am put on flagyl or cipro---have terrible side effects from these antibiotics---it is just one lousy round-about cycle. Like you I am trying to do as much research as I can on this disease. If I feel a flare up starting, I immediately stop eating (except for broth and light soups) drink lots of water and just give my colon a rest for a couple of days, then I start back onto a soft diet for a few days and then back to my regular diet. Just make sure that you never ever get constipated--my gastroenteroligist wrote a prescription for Miralax, this has been the most helpful thing to me while going through this. If in doubt you can always get a second opinion. Good Luck to you. Do not mean to ramble but your case seems so much like I am going through.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
Re: Not sure what going on?

HI Ebby 31,
Sounds like we are having the same journey in many ways. I hope we both have happy endings to the trip. I also have diverticulitis and it sounds like we both have problems with constipation as our symptoms. I also have been on the Cipro /flagyl a couple of times. Both at the same time. I am on it now and I am wondering what side effects you had. I feel pretty washed out. I have been on colace, sometimes lactulose, and high fiber diet to try and stay regular. This has been successfull to some extent but I think surgery will be the only final solution so I have decided to accept it and get on with it. I am not sure if they can know the full extent of the surgery that will be required and if it can be done laparoscopic if they have not done a full scope. What could be there that they do not know about is the concern. A cat scan and barium enema does give you some idea of what is going on but that is not always a clear picture.

They found my tumor when looking at the problem of diverticulitis. I did a lot of research on it. Some of my friends have had the lap operation to remove the bad part of their colon. They feel great now and don't regret getting the operation. The main thing is if you have to have an emergency operation it can be much more serious. So it is better to have the operation when it is not an emergency due to perforation of the bowel or another complication of an attack. Stay in touch and we can share information that may be useful for both of us. Thanks for responding to my post.
Gary

Last edited by gwb123; 10-07-2007 at 09:19 PM.

Closed Thread