It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User
tumor benign or malignant?

The doctors have found a tumor in my colon about the size of a walnut or golf ball. Two sets of biopsies have come back negative for cancer,but my doctor says you never know for sure until it is surgically removed and a complete pathology report is done. My questions are related to my anxiety waiting for the surgery. Does anyone have experience with this they can share? If there is cancer is it likely to have been caught sooner rather than later because there are some spots in the tumor that are benign. I always thought a tumor would be cancerous or not, but it seems that it can have cancerous parts embedded in it.
Any information you have would be appreciated, so I hope someone can respond.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
(female)

bmccrea HB User
Re: tumor benign or malignant?

I know what a terrible time you are having with the waiting and craving for answers. I've been there, as many others here have been also.

I think that hearing that the biopsy was negative is a GOOD thing. Your doctor is cautious in saying that there may still be cancer there. It sounds like the tumor may not have broken through the layers of the colon and is more localized in one spot. It is worse when it has broken through and entered the lymph nodes, which was my case.

My surgeon did laprascopic surgery and the pain was minimal. So if you do have to have an abdominal incision, ask if it can be done that way rather than a cut down the center of your abdomin.

Do you know in which part of the colon the tumor is located?
Did you bleed from the tumor?
Have you been anemic?
Did the doctor do a CEA level blood test?
How about a liver function test?

Write all your questions down so you can ask lots of questions when you have to go back to the doctor.

Keep us posted on your progress. We are a caring, supportive group

Barbara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks Barbara,
I hope you are doing ok with your health and struggle. I wish you the best of luck. I have not had any bleeding or anemia. I don't think they have done a CEA blood test. It is hard for me to think that a tumor in the colon would be anything other than cancer. It is not a polyp. I hope it will be a lap and the doctor said he always starts that way and hopefully it ends up that way, but never a guarantee. It depends on how it goes. How are you doing with the cancer? I understand that if it has only gone as far as the lymph nodes that the prognosis is still very good.
Gary

Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

bmccrea HB User

I feel great physically, but have trouble sleeping. Also my CEA was up from 1.9 to 2.5. I am to get a CT scan next Monday, then another CEA on Nov. 1 followed by oncologist appointment on Nov. 7
Everything is wait, wait, wait.....

As my doc said this process will be ongoing.

In the meantime I am on an anti-cancer diet. I found it in a book called "Killing Your Cancer without Killing Yourself". After my chemo was over, I went to Mexico and take herbal tonic I got down there at the Biomedical Center, and also take lots of vitamins and other supplements.

I definitely advocate surgery and chemo done here in the USA, but I think following up with alternative methods are necessary for me to feel like I am continuing to do something to keep on living.

I feel like you are going to be fine. Read about the different stages of colon cancer and you will see that the survival rate is great for stages 1 & 2, even some stage 3, and there are lot of stage 4 survivors here on this site.

If and that is a big IF there are cancer cells in your tumor, you will probably be at stage 1 or 2. Just keep a good attitude, have faith that God will get you through this.

Take care,
Barbara

Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
(male)

Barbara,
I think your CEA numbers are still good and I understand that it is normal for them to vary from test to test. Focus on the diet is no doubt a good thing because it makes your body stronger and more prepared to defeat the cancer. It also allows you to be proactive which can help in your determination and attitude which are important mental components in the process of getting well.
Keep us posted on your progress.
Gary

Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #6
(female)

moondoggy HB User

GWB 123

Just last fall I had a similar experience. A sample of a very large polyp taken during a sigmoidoscopy came back as pre cancerous. More samples taken (it could not all be removed) during a colonoscopy revealed cancer cells as well. I had a bowel resection done in an 'open' surgery resulting in a diagnosis of stage one colorectal cancer.

I think the only way to make a definite diagnosis is removal and have the pathology done.

I was told that I was very lucky to have this discovered at such an early stage. I go on Monday to have my first annual post op colonoscopy and hoping that everything is clear.

The very best to you as you go through this.

Moondoggy

Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
(male)

thanks Moondoggy,
I am in BC too. I hope everything comes back fine on your annual check up and I am sure it will. I hope you can answer a couple of questons. Do you know how large your polyp was and did you need follow up Chemo? I understand that stage one is often cured by the surgery itself and your prognosis is excellent. Thanks for the support.
Gary

Old 10-27-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
(female)

moondoggy HB User

Dear Gary,
Sorry to be so long answering, computer problems! I just looked up the path report from my surgery. It described a 'longitudanol tumour of 2.0 cm'. It was also called an Adenomatous cancer. No follow up was required, just surgery. It wasn't 'very' invasive, just to the first level of mucosa and no lymph nodes.

Do you have any idea when your surgery will be scheduled? Please keep us posted. If you have questions and I can be helpful please ask.

Please try not to be overcome with anxiety, I know that's easier said than done! Just ask me! Listening to some good meditation/relaxation tapes helped me a lot as I waited for surgery.

Take care,
moondoggy

Old 10-28-2007, 05:41 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

I don't want to cause any unncessary angst; however, I had NUMEROUS biopsies perfomed on my tumor. All biopsies came back negative. As it turned out, the tumor was cancerous. Please let me know if you have any questions. By the way, I am stage IV and so far the chemo is doing its job by shrinking the 2 mets on my liver. I am feeling well and my DX was August 2006. There are so many things they can do to treat this cancer now. Who knows, they my find a cure tomorrow.

God bless you.

Pam

Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM   #10
(male)

Hi Pam,
thanks for responding. I will pray for your continuing progress to winning this struggle and wish you the best of luck. Did your doctor say why the biopsies came back negative when the tumor did turn out to be cancer? Do you know how large your tumor was? I guess I have a lot of questions that will be answered in time but It is good to know other people's experience. I am hoping that you continue to respond to chemo.
Gary

Old 10-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #11
(male)

Hi moondoggy,
Thanks for getting back. I am glad that you are doing so well and I think you may have it beaten. At least the odds are definitely in yuor favor from everything I have read. My tumor is about 4 to 5 cm so it is bigger than yours. I don't know if that makes a difference but I think it would.
Gary

Old 10-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Heidi'sMom HB User

Honestly, I don't know why the biopsies came back negative and I don't know how large the initial tumor was. I had another, more life-threatening infection called necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating bacteria) which was caused by the tumor leaking into my leg before it was removed. You can read all about my arduous journey with miraculous results if you will search for my earlier posts. Let's just say I was not expected to live for 48 hours. It would be redundant to repeat my entire experience again. I'm sorry I couldn't answer more of your questions.

Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb123 View Post
Hi Pam,
thanks for responding. I will pray for your continuing progress to winning this struggle and wish you the best of luck. Did your doctor say why the biopsies came back negative when the tumor did turn out to be cancer? Do you know how large your tumor was? I guess I have a lot of questions that will be answered in time but It is good to know other people's experience. I am hoping that you continue to respond to chemo.
Gary

Closed Thread