It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

prdrmewf HB User
Aunt with stage 4

My moms only sibling has been dx with stage 4 colon cancer that is in her liver. In a month she will be seen at a top hospital. Over the phone they confirmed four places on liver to be affected if this is the proper way to say it? I have read that she has from 2-10% to survive - is this true? They won't yet remove anything 1st chemo to shrink them - is this normal? What will happen ? Sorry to ramble just need to know facts so I can cope.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
(female)

cynthiaf HB User
Re: Aunt with stage 4

How old is your aunt?? Was she having any problems or did they find it some other way?
Cynthia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
(female)

prdrmewf HB User

She is a young 58. She has no symptoms at all. It began with a blood test which showed elevation with her liver. Very quickly she was dx with colon cancer stage 4 w/ four places on liver. She has been healthy her whole life. Up until she found this out she lived a life of work and lots of traveling with friends. Any thoughts or facts I will appreciate.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
(female)

LindyLee70 HB User

Sweetie, it is normal to immediately begin chemo prior to surgery, often when dealing with the liver. What it does is kill the virus as it metastacizes (spelling?) into other areas. Its difficult to do immediately following surgery because recovery time is needed. It also depends upon a number of other factors as where the on the liver, the four spots were found, etc.

Don't pay attention to the stats regarding survival. Survival is based upon each individual and each cancer. The most important thing is to help your mother stay positive, help her visualize the cancer and fight it psychologically as well as help her with higher quality of life now. Help her control what she can control, her psychological state and her diet.

Keep her away from sugars as they feed tumors. Get antioxidant vitamins (GNC has a good one) and eat lots of veggies. Move away from a western diet, knock off the beef and sugars. You may wish to look into the research being done at the NIH and other cancer centers on the use of curry and tumeric in the diet.

Except for that, right now, everything is dependent upon the chemo and the agressiveness of the tumors. Later, it will be dependent upon the surgeon and the agressiveness of the tumors.

Finally, lets talk about you. While your mom is being treated, ask if there could be consultation with a geneticist to determine whether or not the cancer could be genetic, since she and her sibling both have it. And its important that you determine with your doctor about a good surveillance for yourself and your siblings if there is a genetic factor.

Colon and liver cancer can be treatable if one takes care to be surveilled, watch their diets, etc. Just remember that. Our options are far better than they were in generations past.

I wish you the best and the best for your mother and your aunt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prdrmewf View Post
My moms only sibling has been dx with stage 4 colon cancer that is in her liver. In a month she will be seen at a top hospital. Over the phone they confirmed four places on liver to be affected if this is the proper way to say it? I have read that she has from 2-10% to survive - is this true? They won't yet remove anything 1st chemo to shrink them - is this normal? What will happen ? Sorry to ramble just need to know facts so I can cope.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

LindyLee

Sugar does not feed cancer. Glucose (sugar) is the fuel that your body runs on. Fats, protein, complex carbohydrates are broken down into their component molecules during digestion and converted to glucose to be utilized by the body during metabolic processes necessary to maintain and sustain life. Only alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream and not converted to glucose first.

Do not take antioxidants or supplements while undergoing chemotherapy without first discussing it with your oncologist. Some antioxidants can impede chemo's effect on the cancer cells and be counterproductive.

Last edited by LESLIETOO; 12-27-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
(female)

prdrmewf HB User

Thanks for the info. Is this an on going fight for health at this point or is there a chance for a complete healing - cancer free?

Old 12-29-2007, 01:04 AM   #7
(female)

LindyLee70 HB User

Thanks for the clarification, Leslie. There are so many contradictory studies on it.

[url]http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/96/3/229[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIETOO View Post
LindyLee

Sugar does not feed cancer. Glucose (sugar) is the fuel that your body runs on. Fats, protein, complex carbohydrates are broken down into their component molecules during digestion and converted to glucose to be utilized by the body during metabolic processes necessary to maintain and sustain life. Only alcohol is absorbed directly into the bloodstream and not converted to glucose first.

Do not take antioxidants or supplements while undergoing chemotherapy without first discussing it with your oncologist. Some antioxidants can impede chemo's effect on the cancer cells and be counterproductive.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
(female)

prdrmewf HB User

Is it normal to have stage 4 with no symptoms? She feels perfectly fine and continues to work and eat and live as she has done before this. She has started no treatment as of yet - in about three weeks she will go to 1st visit.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

You don't get symptoms from a cancer, early or advanced until it:
1) presses up against another organ or bone or nerve and causes pain or
2) creates an obstruction or
3) interferes with bodily functions or
4) or causes metabolic changes i.e. liver or kidney function, anemia.

That is why colon and ovarian cancer are often called silent killers because they have plenty of room to expand and grow and spread before becoming symptomatic and are thus, often not detected until a very late stage causes symptoms. On the other hand, endometrial cancer (uterine) is usually caught at stage I because in a post-menopausal woman it will cause vaginal bleeding or spotting, even in its earliest stage.

Be glad that she is feeling good and hope that the cancer can be arrested before affecting a vital organ or function that results in symptoms.

LeslieToo

Old 12-30-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
(male)

impactzone HB User

I am stage 4, Colon surgery 9/06, chemo, liver resection 2/07, chemo, lung lobectomy 11/07...waiting. I also had no symptoms and still feel good. I had 1 tumor in my liver and had chemo pre surgery to see what effect it had on the tumor. My CEA was at 17. After 3 months of chemo, they went in and took a lot of the liver even though it was a 3 cm tumor. That surgery was tough to come back from for a 47 year old active male. I had more chemo and then a scan that showed all clear in June. unfortunately, an Oct scan showed 2 spots in the lung. i had surgery to take that lobe out and that was very easy to come back from. I am waiting for a jan 10 th scan at Stanford (all chemo and surgery done there), to determine the next steps. Realize you have lots of time, there are good medicines out there, ASK questions,,, eat healthy, stay away from sick people and use lots of hand cleaner.. perhaps get a flu and/or pnenomia shot (talk to your Dr's) and always ask questions. I'm sorry it happened and stay busy and support yourself as well as aunt.
Impactzone

Closed Thread