It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
(female)

Joann37 HB User
Teeth Falling Out?? Need Advice

Hello, and Blessings to ALL of you!

Im new on this board and im desperately seeking advice.

My Mom is 59yrs of age and was diagnosed with Colorectal Cancer 4 months ago and currently has MANY other health issues. She has had Crohns disease since the age of 22 which resulted in 16 Bowel resections with a final result of a permanent Colostomy 10 yrs ago. She was also diagnosed with Basal Squamousal Skin Cancer 4 yrs ago... Had a Heart Attack at the age of 49... Suffered a massive seizure 3 yrs ago which resulted in a Brain bleed which required emergency surgery to clamp off the bleed via 2 separate areas... She has had Renal failure for the past 3yrs which requires Dialysis 3x weekly... She has completed 30 rounds of Radiation Therapy for her recent Colorectal Cancer and currently cant stand or walk due to radiation side effects...

Up until the radiation she was living a functional daily life considering all her health issues. She was rushed to the hospital 2 days ago because of a mini Seizure. She is currently stable and we are waiting on a few test results. While i was visitng her at the hospital today she started to eat an orange and her bottom tooth fell out of her mouth. She also had another tooth fall out 6 days ago while eating a simple sandwich. Can someone please tell me if they have had any experience with tooth loss from Radiation or just from Cancer itself?? Im so afraid right now that this means she is at the end of her life?? Im 37yrs old and my Mom has been physically ill my entire life. The Cancer and Renal failure have been the worse of it all and im so afraid for her. My heart is breaking for ALL that she has been through in her young life.
She's been too ill and weak to have an MRI to see if the Radiation helped or to see if the cancer has spread. Her personality seems to be changing little by little each day as though she's fidgity and agitated, Unsure if its side effects from the pain meds... HELP!

Hugs to ALL of you...
Joann

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: Teeth Falling Out?? Need Advice

Hello Joanne,
I am so sorry to hear about your mother and all she's going through, she is close to my age, and I can tell you that is too young to be going through all that!
Having my own mother suffer with MS my whole life I know the feeling that you have of helplessness...
It sounds like she may be having some anxiety and there might be something she could take for that?
It's hard to know what causes what and sometimes doctors seem even clueless. I'm sorry I can't offer any advise to you only prayers and sympathy and hoping that there is some resolution to her latest challenge.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

Joann37 HB User
Re: Teeth Falling Out?? Need Advice

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Im also sorry to hear about your mom, and i will say a prayer for her also. My mom is taking anxiety medication along with MANY other Med's. I often wonder if the docs over medicate our loved ones. I was told by a nurse today that sometimes a person will have agitation and changes in their personality after having a seizure. This may last several days. Im just overwhelmed of the fact that her teeth are literally falling out of her mouth when she eats simple foods lately... My heart and prayers go out to anyone who has cancer, and to family members who have a loved one with cancer or any other ailment.

Take Care,
Joann

Closed Thread