It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
(female)

sandy1965 HB User
what is the average life expectancy of stage 4 colon cancer

My husband has been fighting stage 4 colon Cancer for 14 months he will be 51 years old in MArch. He had the tumor in his colon removed a year ago and then more then half his liver last August . Just when we was going to start Chemo again in October with a PET scan they found a tumor on his C7 vertibra he underwent Radiation but because of the pain has surgery to remove part of the tumor in Dec. a follow up CT Scan was done mid December and discovered countless spots on his lungs and adrenaline gland. He has been in a neck brace since and has resumed Chemo. HE still needs heavy steroids to deal with the pain and I no longer recongize his deseased, frail body. I cant immagine how tired he is, I wonder if I would have the stregth he has shown but I am growing tired too. I no longer dare to ask the infamus question directly to the doctor as I am afraid that he does not want to know. I need to know what is the average life expectancy of stage 4 colon cancer in a previous very active healthy male, I need to know how much more time I have with him?

Last edited by sandy1965; 02-16-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: needed more inforamtion

The following user gives a hug of support to sandy1965:
lesleyj62 (01-18-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandy1965 For This Useful Post:
htorres (05-08-2012), lesleyj62 (01-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: what is the average life expectancy of stage 4 colon cancer

My MIL passed away in December with primary lung cancer, spread to her brain and liver and colon...........after it hit the liver....she lived 3 months.....she went down sooooo fast. She would get dehydrated because she wouldn't drink enough...........she got to where she would not eat........we called in hospice...a life saver........and 4 days later....she was gone...........no suffering, no pain exept for a couple hours one day...after hospice came in, no more pain............once they stop eating..........that's a sure sign. I am so sorry for your husband. it's very hard on the care taker I know. I changed her diapers, water down her meds when she couldn't swollow a pill. It's a very sad thing to watch. There's no time line, just watch for signs of no food, water, not talking much...eventually just a stare....my thoughts and prayers are with you. Hospice is there if you need them....very helpful people.

The following user gives a hug of support to flintrock:
lesleyj62 (01-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to flintrock For This Useful Post:
lesleyj62 (01-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

sandy1965 HB User

Thank you for your thoughts. I am truly sorry for your lose. May god be with you

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #4
(female)

itsconnie HB User

My prayers are with you!

Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
(female)

jelz HB User

Sandy,
My heart is with you. Please don't give up. I do know how tired a person becomes. I've been there. My husband was diagnosed with colon cancer and he was told he had only two months. We got just shy of two years. Never give up hope.
I too, couldn't believe that this frail man that use to be so strong was the same person I knew for so many years. His body become so weak and thin that I use to think I would break him when moving him.
My spouse passed away in November but never gave up hope.
Please, take a little time for yourself, you need the strength as well.
I am thankful for everyday. If your husband is fighting then fight with him. He will know when and if the time comes that he is ready to accept death.
For me, my mind went in every direction, exhaustion to anger to sadness and I never seemed to stop crying when he couldn't see me. I tried to be a pillar of strenght when when he was ill. It's not possible to do that all the time. This website was the one place I could vent.
You will be in my mind.
PS. Don't pay attention to what the average is.........I truely believe it is different for every individual. I wasted too much time wondering how much time he had left that I wasted the first few months...precious time.
Joy

The following user gives a hug of support to jelz:
lesleyj62 (01-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to jelz For This Useful Post:
lesleyj62 (01-18-2012)
Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

I don't know but you both are in my prayers.

Closed Thread