It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
(male)

bhutline HB User
3 Brothers, all diag. w/colon cancer @ same time, Success Story

Hi all,
I've never posted on a health board before, but thought I would share this short story. I'm middle of 3 brothers. We are 1 yr apart in age. Today, I am 60 years old. 2 years ago, we were all three diagnosed with colon cancer @ the same time. Bart, the oldest, had colon surgery, and chemo. I had my entire colon removed, and hernia surgery. Bruce, the youngest had about 2 feet of his colon removed and a second surgery due to complications. We were never sick a day in our lives. We knew nothing about our family history. We had a gene search done by Myriad Labs. They informed us that everyone in our family should be checked. My son, 37 years old, also had colon polyps removed, and must do so every year. It may seem terrible at first, but we are all doing great today. We all ThankGod we caught this when we did. We have convinced everyone in our family to have their colon scoped. You would not believe how many of them were carrying this gene defect. If you have any history of colon polyps or cancer in your family. check yourself out now with an endoscopy. We are today, trying to locate anyone connected to our blood line. It's been tough, but you can live decently, if you catch this early.
PS: Insurance covered most everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User
Re: 3 Brothers, all diag. w/colon cancer @ same time, Success Story

thank you for posting your story. My husband was diagnosed last year and with stage 3 colon cancer, had surgery and finished chemo in December. He also didn't know his family history since he was a foster child and never knew his father. His mother finally said, Oh yeah, I had polyps years ago..

Because he was under 50 he never did a colonscopy until he exhibited symptoms but my conviction is that everyone should have a colonoscopy way earlier than that especially if it runs in the families, insurance will sometimes balk if there are no symptoms though..

Best of health to you and your brothers and thanks again for sharing. Timing is everything and the word must get out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Thanks for sharing your story. How wonderful that all three of you are doing so well. This will encourage those who have been recently diagnosed.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
(male)

bhutline HB User

Dear Backslide, How so very true. Folks should be checking this out earlier. My son is only 38, and has proven positive as carrying this gene. He has polyps removed on yearly basis for now on, for the rest of his life. Myriad sent this short note to us, after they could not locate the exact gene:
Persons who carry this APC gene mutation for FAP, familial adenomatous polyposis, have a 100% lifetime risk of developing colon cancer. Persons who carry this gene should have their colon looked at by endoscopy during their teenage years. They will need to have an annual examination, that is once a year, unless their entire colon has been removed.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #5
(female)

Wymom94 HB User

<We knew nothing about our family history. We had a gene search done by Myriad Labs... check yourself out now with an endosocpy <<Persons who carry this APC gene mutation for FAP, familial adenomatous polyposis, have a 100% lifetime risk of developing colon cancer

My husband was 24 when he was dx w/ colon cancer due to FAP (and had his colon removed, no ostomy -j-pouch). He was a spontaneous mutation of the APC gene, neither his parents nor his brother (or any other family members) had FAP. Our son inherited the gene and began growing adenomas when he was 6 (he was scoped just after turning 7 b/c of GI complaints, family history, and DNA testing we had done on him when his GI problems began). He has only grown 0-3 adenomas each year since w/o dysplasia (is now 13), but began growing FAP adenomas in his duodenum (small intestine) last year as his father does as well as sprouting a surprising number of FAP fundic gland polyps (in his stomach) that showed adenomatous change. Definitely, an upper endoscopy as well as colonoscopy (or flex sig for those who have a j-pouch) should be done on a regular basis for those who have inherited FAP. Our son had his first endoscopy at age 8 and again at 12 (last year), but has had colonoscopies more regularly (2 in his first year after finding adenomas, then 1yr later ,then 1&1/2 yrs, then 2 yrs, then every 3 months last yr after more problems were found, plus he developed IBD last year which needed watching). My husand has had annual EGD and flex sig (on his j-pouch) since he had cancer. Also, for those w/ the pouch, watching for signs of pouchitis, esp as the years pass, is something to note, too. My husband had his first bout w/ pouchitis this year, after 12yrs of having his pouch (it's suppose to be more common 10+ yrs after surgery). Flagyl and probiotics cleared it up nicely and timely.
Meghan

Closed Thread