It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
(female)

hope4mymom HB User
My mom just had a colonoscopy and they found polyps

It took every thing for my mom to get the junk you drink before a colonoscopy down. She is 73 (soon to be 74) and to drink that took all she had. I kept telling her that soon it will be all done and she wouldn't have to go through this for another 5 yrs. We all thought they wouldn't find any thing. After all my dad, who is 83 was just told last yr. that he has lymphoma, leukemia, and Hodgkin's disease (not sure yet if they are all related to each other or are separate cancers), but also colon cancer runs rampid on my father's side. His test for that came back good and so did my brothers. So we thought this would go fine too. It doesn't run at all on my mom's side.
When she came back from her colonoscopy and told us that they found 2 small polyps (took out) and one that was to large to take out on her colon, I was so very stunned. They did a CT scan on Friday and on Mon. will be able to tell her what is going on and when the large one will be taken out with part of her colon. I think they might also tell on Mon. what the findings were on the polyps they sent in. I believe they did take a little bit of the big one on the colon as well to test.
I am so very scart for her. Right now as it stands, does this mean she absolutely has colon cancer? I know the test results are coming so I shouldn't ask but I am just so worried. My husband says that yes, she does have colon cancer. I thought that just maybe they could be benign polyps and not carry cancer but my husband says no, that they all do. If so, then they did not fill my mom in completely at the clinic. And I am not telling her what my husband said. His dad had the same exact thing and they took a big portion of his colon out. He is fine except for once he eats he has to make sure he is near a bathroom quick. It has been 15 yrs for him. Also the same for all of his brothers and sisters. The doctors told them all that after their operations they should have chemo done for any of the cancer cells left. None of them would do it and they have all made it this long.
I am so very scart for my mom. We just went through so much pain a year ago with my dad and finding all of that out, now this. I keep praying it will all work out.

hope4mymom (Roxy)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
(female)

skays HB User
Re: My mom just had a colonoscopy and they found polyps

My husband had colonoscopy in Dec. and had a polyp removed. It was sent for a biopsy and was benign- not cancerous. So just because you have a polyp does not mean it is cancer.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

Most polyps are benign.
They will have taken biopsies from the larger one and it will be investigated for evidence of cancer. It is by no means certain that even that large polyp is cancerous. However it does have a distinct chance of becoming cancerous in the future and thus the doctors will want to remove it.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Just confirming that not all polyps, even big ones, are cancerous and I hope that is the case with your mother. Hopefully, tomorrow, you will get a better idea of what is going on and what the plan is.

Hope your father is doing well. I also have lymphoma and my husband had rectal cancer nearly five years ago, so I know how hard it is when facing the possibility of a second person in the family having cancer.

Do keep us posted.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
(female)

cynthiaf HB User

No, just because there are polyps doesn't mean cancer.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

anprdp HB User

Roxy,

I too had a colonoscopy at 28 that found 2 polyps that were too big to remove as well as lots of smaller ones. None were cancerous, but I underwent a right hemi colectomy to have them removed as well as part of my colon of course. It took me 3 months to recover from that surgery , and the impending complications that followed. My advice to you is not to freak out just yet, but you and your mother have some heavy thinking to do. This is a tough surgery, and you need to weigh whether its better to have the colon removed and deal with the recovery and risks of that or whether it is best to leave it and watch it. My step-grandfather had the same problem as me and because of his age and some health problems, he decided not to do the surgery due to the recovery would have been to hard on him. To be honest, and this is just my opinion, I doubt if I had been in my 70's if I would have had the surgery. I spent almost a month in the hospital from the surgery, the abscesses that developed, and the infected incision after the second surgery. Do whats best for you and your family and I wish you all well. Btw, she will require further colonoscopies regardless of the removal anyway to watch her. Just as I do every year. This year I only had 2 polyps compared to last year I had 6.

Last edited by anprdp; 03-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
(female)

hope4mymom HB User

Right before your message I was just talking to my mom. I was so relieved to hear the tests came back and nothing was cancerous, not even the big one. My mom sounded so relieved too but is still scart of the surgery. Then I read your post....now I am still very worried. I think I will post a new thread asking about the complications. Also my mom wanted me to ask what a villousadenoma polyp is and also if lazor surgery on the big polyp she has on her colon is possible. Thank you to everyone for all of your help and support. God Bless.
hope4mymom

Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #8
(female)

anprdp HB User

I know its easier said than done not to worry, but honestly it will do no good.

Just about everyone I have met personally, has had complications from this surgery. I am just making you aware of the fact, the recovery for colon resections are hard on people. Even on your other post, that person remarked they had abscesses after resection, and it seems just about everyone I know did. This surgery caused me to become malnourished, dehydrated, infected, and down right run down which is why it took me so long to recover from it. Is your mother having a colostemy bag put in (even if temporary)? How much of the colon is being removed? I would not rush into this surgery without weighing my options or even getting a second opinion. The larger polyp will not turn over night. I did the surgery because I was still young and I had two very small children at the time to think about and when presented in the future with it again (if that comes to pass) I will have to play it by ear. I was given the option of watching the polyps by doing a colonoscopy every 6 months to detail what it was doing. If I am much older and my children have made their own independent lives, I will probably opt for this selection instead.

The questions your mother asked can be answered here. First, the type of polyp she listed is a pre-cancerous polyp. Which means its the type doctors classify as being able to turn cancerous. The second on the laser, is the fact the colon cannot be resectioned by parts due to its blood supply. It must be done in anatomical sections such as ascending, descending, transverse, etc. If it was able to be burned out/cut out seperately then that would have been done during the colonoscopy. When they get to a much larger size that pretty much means this option is null.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
(female)

cynthiaf HB User
Wink Re: My mom just had a colonoscopy and they found polyps

I agree with ANDREP on this. I would go to doc/surgeon and discuss this surgery with him. Was the polyp pre-cancerous or just a polyp?? If it was a polyp with no evidence of turning cancer then I would definitely talk to doctor and ask alot of questions before the surgery. I would talk to him before surgery and get answers to your questions so you would know what to expect. I just know what my dad went through recovering after the resection. He did not have a colostomy bag, they were able to resect. But, he had a long hard recovery with the infection. But, his was definitely cancer and he really had no choice and we didn't know the things that could happen after surgery. I didn't know about this board, this board has really helped me answer some questions I had after his surgery during his recovery and what questions to ask his surgeon and oncologist in his doctor visits later on. This board is great!!
Cynthia

Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM   #10
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

The surgeon wants to remove the polyp because while it may not be cancerous now; the observed elevation of risk of colorectal cancer was almost entirely confined to subjects who had an adenomatous polyp. The risk increased strongly with the percentage of villous features in the polyp and was about twice as high in subjects with villous adenoma than in those with other adenomatous polyps.
Since it needs to be removed surgically, it is most probably a sessile polyp, flat against the inside of the colon rather than hanging from a stalk.

Leslie

Closed Thread