It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
(female)

hope4mymom HB User
any other choices on that icky stuff you drink be-4 a colon operation?

My mom's surgery is now scheduled for next Thursday. She was suppose to have it done today but she just isn't feeling well. After all of my postings on here and finding out there is the chance afterwards of infections, dehydration, and abcesses, I told her I thought she better wait until she feels better. -Not that long of course but atleast so she isn't run down while having the operation. She will be getting a large polyp removed from her colon. From past threads I did say she has found out that it isn't cancerous but it is the type of polyp that could eventually have the potential for cancer.
To get to my question, when she first had her colonoscopy done she had to drink that stuff in a big jug that you mix with water, the normal stuff most drink. Being her stomach is so very sensitive and it almost made her throw up too, she really had a hard time with it. When the Doctors were talking about her operation they told her they have some stuff that won't bother her stomach as much and will be easier on her. Once she got every thing set up the nurse told her she had to drink the usual stuff. My mom asked the nurse to please speak with the Drs. because of what they had told her. The nurse did and told my mom (this was over the phone), that her doctor said no, she would be drinking the usual. Isn't there any thing else out there that would be easier on my mom? Possibly what the doctors had once thought about giving her?

hope4mymom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
(female)

PSusanp123 HB User
Re: any other choices on that icky stuff you drink be-4 a colon operation?

I just had a colonoscopy yesterday and had a much easier dose to clean me out. My Drs. instructions:
Day before, begin clear liquids. At noon take 3 Tablespoons of Fleets Phospho Soda in 6oz. clear liquid(grape juice was ok) followed by 2 Dulcolax tablets. Over next 2 hours drink at least five 8oz. glasses of clear liquids.

At 8 pm take 3 Tablespoons Fleets Phospho soda in 6 oz. of clear liquid and over next 2 hours, drink at least five 8oz. glasses clear liquids.
I put the phospho soda and grape juice in the freezer for about 10 min. before I drank it. Held my nose and swallowed it right down. Wasn't pleasant, but not too bad. I was cleaned out and ready for the test next morning. It wasn't hard on my stomach either. I'm in my 50's.
Hope this will help your Mother. You can buy the Fleets over the counter at the drug store.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

anprdp HB User

I have done 4 or 5 colon preps now including the one for my colon resection. I have done the gallon of GoLytely, Fleets Phospha Soda, Magnesium Citrate, and the 32 Osmo Pill Prep. If you have decided to do the surgery, and the doctor will not give you a choice on prep (which I think is rude, stupid, and insane) then these are your choices:

1. The above poster listed a general colon cleansing of 3 Tablespoons at a time of Fleet's Phospha Soda with liquid. (This seems like a good prep)

2. I did for my colon resection one whole 1.5 fl. oz bottle of Fleet's Phospha Soda in one 8 oz. glass of Gingerale.

This should be easier on her stomach. Its less non-dissolvable salts to irritate her stomach. I would suggest chilling it first then adding it to liquid. The most important part of a prep is the amount of liquid you intake. The salts are made to flush your colon by taking in more liquid, thus you must drink that liquid so it is available. Take the 2 Ducolax in the morning first thing and would even suggest having a 2 day light meal before hand. Two days before eatly lightly, then the day before the regular colonoscopy diet. I literally evacuated water. And when I say water I mean it was clear like water out of a faucet when I followed this and did the number 2 route.

Some things you should know: 1. In studies it is suggested that colon preps before surgery to the large colon do not show any reduction in causing less bacteria or ability to receive an infection. So if her colon is not super clean (like for the colonoscopy) its not earth moving and it is not a reason to cancel surgery. Some doctors do not even require colon preps before resection. 2. Although I liked the 32 Osmo Pill Prep, it took a long time to kick in and did not clean me out as throughly as the other preps did. I took all pills on time and drank a case of Dasani water and on the pictures the next day from the colonscopy, I could tell the difference in those and previous yearly exams. So, to me in closing (and yes this is long) I really do think the best colon prep is over the counter Fleet's Phospha Soda and 2 Ducolax. The others ended me up sick as a dog, with a migraine, and when I couldn't finish the solutions, my husband had to assist me with enemas. Highly unpleasant~

Good Luck to your mother. I hope she makes it through with a fast, comfortable recovery.

Last edited by anprdp; 03-06-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
(female)

hope4mymom HB User

Thank you so very much for you replies, it means so much. My mom's surgery is coming up this Thurs. she is suppose to be at the hospital by 6:30 in the morning. She is feeling very depressed to day and it worries me. I wish I could reasure her more.
I had a question though.
One of the people that responded back to me (thanks a million!!), explained about all of the choices for cleansing yourself out. My mom has the big jug of the goLytely, which she is dreading (that she took before and that made her feel so awful) and then 2, 1.5 fl. oz. bottles of Fleets Phospha soda, which she has never tried but that they had given a yr. ago the choice of my dad taking besides the goLytely, and my dad drank the goLytely. So my mom is considering the Fleets Phospha soda that they still have, even though the Dr. did not give her this choice. But as I was reading the replies she wanted to be sure she understood the one post correctly. I wish I could go back to the posts as I am writing this and I am sure you can but I'm afraid I'll end up losing what I have already wrote. So to try and explain it right, when the one person had written the choices and put a #1 and #2 and was talking about the 1.5 fl. oz. bottle of Fleets Phospha Soda, did you mean you did 2 bottles of the 1.5, or just one bottle with the gingerale?
Sorry for not understanding very well but thanks a million for all of your support and help.
Hope4mymom

Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
(female)

WA_LADY HB User

When you do the Fleet's you take one of the 1.5 ounce bottles of the stuff and mix it with whatever you want.

Then later in the day, you repeat the same process. You need to take TWO bottles of the phospho soda -not at the same time though. When I did it, I took one bottle (around 8AM), mixed it with a can of lemonade (tropicana stuff) drank that along with a bunch of other clear liquid (remember, drink drink drink) and then later in the day (around 2PM) repeated the whole process. You can mix it with whatever you like as long as it falls into the clear liquid category.

Just remember in between you need to drink a lot of clear liquids-water, apple juice, broth, etc.

My surgeon also told me that if I wanted to start the liquid diet 12 hours earlier, then I PROBABLY would not need the second bottle of phospho soda. I had to remember that I still might need it, but for me, I was cleaned out after bottle #1 so it worked and I didn't need the second bottle. Remember though that each person is different.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

anprdp HB User

You do not have to do the 2 bottles of fleet's soda. After several preps, I assure you its not necessary. Do one 1.5 bottle in one 8 oz. glass of gingerale. If you ate heavy the day before, it might be necessary for the 2nd bottle, but most people do not need it.

Last edited by anprdp; 03-11-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:12 AM   #7
(female)

Annie57 HB User

I had a colonoscopy on Monday.

I was given Picosalex. This was my 10th or 11th procedure and this prep was easy. You have breakfast the day before, after that fulids only. At 3:00 pm you mix one pack of picosalex with 5 oz of water. At 8:00 .m. take the second pack with 5 0z of water. At 11:00 take two ducolax pills.

That was it. Plenty of fluids throughout the day, the mix is almost tasteless and did not upset my stomach as the other preps have.

Ask about this prep it is so much easier on the system.

Closed Thread