It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
(female)

princesssugar HB User
Question need info on port infection

My husband has a port that was put in beginning of Jan 08 to recieve his chemo for colon cancer. one of the incisions is opened up now and has puss. He called the surgeon that put it in and has an appointment for tomorrow. I think it should be taken more seriously since he is on chemo and right now his white cell count is too low to even get a treatment. I think his body may be rejecting it. Anyone had this problem????????????

Last edited by princesssugar; 03-10-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
(female)

cynthiaf HB User
Re: need info on port infection

No, but I have a friend 4 yrs. ago he had leukemia and had a port put in for his chemo, he developed a staph infection in one of the lines of the port. You need to make sure that it's not staph infection, it is everywhere, and most drs will tell you that. They can also do chemo through iv each time. My dad did that.
Cynthia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
(female)

WA_LADY HB User

No, I did not have that exact problem, but my port did become infected and had to come out. It can be a VERY serious problem so make sure that he sees the doc tomorrow. You don't want to fool around with an infection in his port site.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Both my husband and I had IV for all our chemo treatments. I have good veins...his were not so good but they managed to do it that way each time. I never liked the idea of a "foreign body" in me, so I resisted having a port, and having heard some stories of infection and blood clots, I am glad I did. Others however, never have any problems with their port. I hope your husband's port problem gets sorted out soon...I am sure he has enought to contend with without having the added stress of an unnecessary infection.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

princesssugar HB User

He made an appt yesterday and went to the surgeon today that put it in and the Doc was out on an emergency call!!! No one even looked at it! Now I wish that I went with him!! This seems serious to me. He sees his oncologist tomorrow,thank God, because he's supposed to go in the hosp again for another treatment but I don't think that will happen now. I bet they will take it out. Now I have to worry until we see the doc tomorrow and you can Bet that I WILL BE THERE!! I bet that's why his white cell count was so low last time. Sorry but I am upset. Sharon

Closed Thread