It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

dikapper HB User
Colon Resection Stage 1 with prior Gastric Bypass Surgery

This is a very long message, but I felt I needed to let anyone know that has had gastric bypass about this and to make sure they talk more in depth to their doctor before having the resection.

I am 53 yrs old and had my first colonoscopy 9 months ago, Dr. found one small polyp sent it in and said it was suspicious. Ok I'm cool with that so I had another colonoscopy in 3 months he didn't see anything! Great. So I had another follow up appointment and had ANOTHER colonoscopy on 2-8-08. Enough already. He found two new spots and took biopsies and said he thought it would turn out to be nothing. He called me in 3 days and said it was bad. What was he talking about. Things moved so fast my head was spinning. I had an appointment with the surgeon and making arrangements at works to be off for a month or so.

I had my surgery on 3-3-08, that went fine. I had no real problems or pain. Got up walking around the next day. My problem I couldn't pass gas much less have a bm... What to do. I was given a suppository (how much fun is that!) and was able to do both about 6 hours later. That was Thursday 3-6-08. Ice water never tasted so good. The next morning they let me have full liquid diet, I got cream of wheat, pudding etc. That was awesome. Lunch he said I could have regular food whatever I wanted, okay so I had some mashed potatoes and chicken. This went on until Saturday and they said I can go home today. Great I was so excited! I got home and was so tired I went to bed. That is when it all started. I started throwing up. Finally Monday I went to the ER and was admitted again. Back to NPO and all that jazz. So we went through the whole process again, but this time I was not going to eat regular food I was going to stick with full liquids and not push my luck. I was given clear liquids on Wednesday. Still only having bm's when I got a suppository. They were going to release me Thursday but I was still throwing up so they kept me one more day. Finally they took an ex-ray with that junk you drink and it showed my opening in my intestine was swollen and so was my colon. So it was just like having two surgeries in one.

I didn't now until today they had to redo my whole gastric bypass because the other doctor put my small intestine that they attached to the top of my stomach OVER my colon. I don't know if that is SOP to put the intestine on top of the colon when doing the gastric bypass but I would sure let your doctor know, or just take it upon yourself to do clear liquids for a couple days and then move on to full liquids and if you tolerate that then move from there just like when we had the bypass surgery originally.

I hope this helps anyone out there they may be in my same situation.

Di

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2008, 11:50 PM   #2
(female)

WA_LADY HB User
Re: Colon Resection Stage 1 with prior Gastric Bypass Surgery

Okay, I have to say I am a little confused about your post. The first thing that confuses the heck out of me is the fact that in 9 months you had 3 colonoscopies! If I read everything correctly, a polyp was found on the first one-a polyp which turned out to be benign. Ok, so why the next one in 3 months?? I would want to know why as that is NOT NORMAL! Even more confusing is why, after the second colonoscopy when there was nothing found did the doctor order another one??? I am certainly happy that they did another colonoscopy when they did and found these 'growths' but there is something extremely disconcerting about the number of colonoscopies that the doctor is doing in 9 months. Were they unable to do a complete one for some reason??? Did the doctor tell you WHY he was ordering so many??? Usually if a person has a benign polyp a new colonoscopy is done in either 2 or 3 years depending on that person's family history. Did you have a family history of polyps or colorectal cancer??? Do you have some other medical condition that would require this many colonoscopies - perhaps Crohn's, colitis, etc???

Secondly, again I am confused, but I find it unusual that only 2 days after surgery you would be given a suppository so as to pass gas. After colorectal surgery your intestines stop working temporarily and need to 'wake up' before a patient is given any liquid. This is not at all unusual. If the patient can tolerate liquids for a day, then they are usually moved to a full liquid diet, then to soft foods and finally to regular foods, but this is usually done gradually so as to make sure that everything is functioning after surgery. I certainly can't speak to the gastric bypass aspect of it, but from what I garnered from your post, it would seem that your surgeon (again forgive me if I misinterpreted) moved you onto solid foods too fast.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:48 AM   #3
(female)

dikapper HB User
Re: Colon Resection Stage 1 with prior Gastric Bypass Surgery

I agree it is very confusing. The polyp he removed was an innie not an outie whatever that means, and it came back suspicious but not cancer. The second colonoscopy was done as a follow up and the third to put his mind at ease that there was nothing else. Everyone I have talked to including other doctors and nurses feel 3 in 9 months is excessive. And yes he started food way too early, he had two new grandbabies in the last 2 weeks he wanted to spend time with. At this point I don't now who to trust or turn to. I am still not eating but I can mostly deal with that. I am not having bm's even if I take something. I've had one in the last three days. But again I am putting very little in. Any advice, direction or help would be appreciated.

Di

Closed Thread