It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
(male)

James Wolfe HB User
Worried that I might have Colon Cancer

Hi I am new.

I am very worried right now. I have be having symptoms of Colon Cancer for weeks now and I am very scarred. I dont have any family history of Colon Cancer to let you know. I am 25 years old. The symtpms I have been suffering are

01. Narrow Stools (Ribbon Like Stools)
02. Constipation
03. Gas
04. Minor Abdomine Discomfort
05. A Feeling that the bowel does not completly empty

I have no bloody stools thank god. My stools are the same color as they were usually. I am not anemic.

I have 3 risk factors that I know of

01. I eat alot of red meat (I am trying to eat more fish, vegables and fruits)
02. I dont get enough exercise (I suffer from a balance disorder I think I have MdDS syndrome)
03. I am sadly obese (Which I am trying to loose weight, I have lost 30 pounds since October)

I have some qustions for you

How Long does Polyps take to devolope?

How Long does it take the Polyps to devolpe into Colon Cancer"

Can a young person like me get Colon Cancer at my age with no history of Colon Cancer?

Does Irritable Bowel Syndrome have similiar symptoms to Colon Cancer?

I have anxiety and I am wondering can Anxiety cause Colon Cancer type symptoms?

I am sad to say that I am a hypochondriac and a cyberchondriac BTW.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
(female)

solscapes HB User
Re: Worried that I might have Colon Cancer

Hi James, Don't mean to make you more worried, but see a GI Dr. and get a colonoscopy. Out of pocket I think it is @ $700 and could save your life. You are lucky you don't seem to have bleeding...I had all your symptoms and bleeding and the found a mass that had to be removed by colon resection and now I am stage 3C cancer and have to have radiation and chemo. I am haunted by not responding to my body trying to tell me something sooner. It usually takes years to end up in my situation...but now that I'm here it drives me crazy how everywhere it states colon cancer is so treatable if found early. It is easy to have a polyp, and they can grow big and change and over time they become cancerous...I never thought that would happen to me. I just thought I had hemorroids and/or needed to change my eating habits. I will most likely get through this...but what a hard lesson to learn. Bummer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
(male)

geezgeez HB User

I also don't mean to scare you but my best friend died of colon cancer at the age of 25. Although he was diagnosed when he was 23.

That made me also a hypercondriac and I was having very similiar problems as yourself, hense the reason I found these boards. In the end my problem was down to chronic constipation which after a good "cleanout" with stool softners and more fibre in my diet I find myself completely cured.

Your symptoms are very generalised meaning that it could be 1001 other conditions other than Colon Cancer. In fact cancer is the most unlikely possibility.

My friend was exceptionally unlucky to have got colon cancer, you at your age would be the same. But get to your doctor and get it checked out.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
(female)

MissB999 HB User

Hi James, Ive just noticed your post from the main page. Ive had all these symptoms and more for nearly 9 years and I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome 7 years ago. As you dont have bleeding but do have lots of symptoms Ive go and have a check up with the Dr and Im sure he will put your mind at rest. I also suffer with major anxiety and this makes my IBS symptoms worse. There are so many different things that come with IBS and they can sometimes feel like something far more sinister but probably wont be.

Here are some of my (and other) symptoms:

Gas
Bloating
Feeling of not emptying
rumbling or painful tummy and lower left side
Ribbon like stools
Constipation
Eating then rushing to the toilet straight away
Pain in the rectum
Burning feeling in the lower tummy

Why not pop over to the IBS forum and it may make you feel a little less worried. Hope this has helped.

Rachel
x

Old 05-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
(female)

Cat Az HB User

I ignored my blood in my stools for over 10 years. I thought it was hemmoroids. I started being fatiqued. I had a colonoscopy, they found a polyp. It was cancerous. I had a resection, temporary ileostomy, chemo and radiation, then more chemo. My bag was reversed. Yes you can be young and get colon cancer. Go get checked find out what is going on, don't put it off like I did. It maybe something that's easily cured. Stress is very hard on the body. Please go in soon and bring a loved one in with you when you go. Please keep us all posted

Old 05-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
(female)

WA_LADY HB User

James,

First of all, a couple of things you need to be aware of.

There has been no definite proof that eating red meat causes colon cancer. Yes, some studies have linked colorectal cancer to our diet, but then other studies show that it isn't. That being said, it is always a good idea to cut back on red meat consumption.

Yes, you could have IBS, Ulcerative colitis, Crohn's and sadly colorectal cancer. Please do not assume that just because you are 25 that colorectal cancer cannot affect you. There is another board, totally devoted to colon cancer where just about every member was diagnosed before the age of 50 and where at least half are in their twenties.

You do have symptoms that warrant seeing a doctor regardless of what it is. While I don't know about IBS, I do know that for people with either ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, the chances increase dramatically over the years that the patient will get colorectal cancer. That is why it is SO important for you to get this checked out.

Anxiety may cause some stomach upset and some other symptoms, but not all of the ones that you are talking about. In particular, the feeling of not emptying your bowels is a sign of rectal cancer but, as you well know, can also mean other things. With regards to your question of polyps and their development into cancer, there is no hard and fast rule. Doctors believe that it can take anywhere from 2-5-10 years for a polyp to turn cancerous. Each individual is different. As a rectal cancer survivor and a colorectal cancer advocate, you need to be aware that over 75% of colorectal cancers are NOT familial in nature. In other words, most people have NO family history. In addition, what is more important is to find out if any of your relatives have had polyps. Remember that colorectal cancer starts as polyps so if you have relatives who had polyps removed that would be a strong reason why you would need to be checked. You also need to not fall into the trap that just because you don't have any bleeding that it means that there is nothing really wrong. A large portion of patients do NOT have any type of rectal bleeding. I, myself, had a 4-6 cm tumor with absolutely no bleeding so you cannot rely on that alone.

You state that you are not anemic but have you actually had your blood tested. Again, that does not necessarily mean anything, so please don't talk yourself out of seeing a doctor because you don't have one or two symptoms that you feel are a must for colorectal cancer. The sad fact is that many people are diagnosed with colorectal cancer and they have NO symptoms. It is also a sad fact that most of the younger people diagnosed with colorectal cancer, as solscapes posted earlier, ignored any warning signs that they had or were dismissed by their doctors.

You could very easily have a myriad of diseases, but colorectal cancer is one of them, and yes, it DOES strike young people. It is NOT just a disease for the over 50 crowd! Get to a doctor and get a scope done and don't settle for a sigmoidoscopy. That will only look at a portion of your colon. Push for the colonoscopy. No, the prep isn't the most pleasant thing but the fact is this test saves lives. Remember even if you don't have cancer, but say have UC or Crohn's you need to begin treatment and be monitored to watch for cancer down the road.

Let's hope that you have nothing seriously wrong with you but you will never know unless you get the test. Get over the 'ick' factor of this whole area (IBS, UC, Crohn's or colorectal cancer) and get the test.

I was one of the lucky ones and caught my cancer early. Trust me when I say that you do NOT want to find yourself ignoring these symptoms and finding out down the road that you have a stage III or IV cancer.

Closed Thread