It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 AM   #1
(female)

amm8589 HB User
Colonoscopy Keeps Resulting in HBP

DH just had his third colonoscopy. His first was just over two years ago and two very large polyps were removed. He had been given Demerol as a sedative, and we he came out of the procedure his blood pressure skyrocketed to 155/120 (he always had normal blood pressure prior to the procedure). The doctor said it was probably the demerol. The next colonoscopy, which was performed three months later (to be sure the polyps were completely removed) went well. His blood pressure was still high but not as bad.

It took well over a year for DH's BP to get back to normal, but it did. He has been off meds for a year now. His BP yesterday was 110/70. Than this morning he went for another colonoscopy and was given Versed. A small polyp was removed from the rectal area. Once again, his blood pressure went way up (155/109). Nobody seems to know what is causing this. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks,

amm

Old 04-07-2008, 07:19 AM   #2
(female)

WA_LADY HB User
Re: Colonoscopy Keeps Resulting in HBP

People react quite differently to meds. For example, my BP bottoms out (more serious) on these meds and I cannot have them. You really need to talk with your doc about this. These drugs, particularly versed, are commonly used during surgical procedures. As a person who has these types of reactions and is highly allergic to most drugs, I would really stress that you talk with an internist about this problem. If his BP goes up and does not immediately come down with the cessation of these drugs, he probably should NOT be having them. There are other drugs that can be used but it would require going to have the procedure done in a setting where an anesthesiologist was present. Usually when the colonoscopies are done, the doctor performing the procedure is the one (or a nurse) administering the drugs and watching for reactions. However, in your husband's case, I would want to have an anesthesiologist watching out for this type of reaction. I can only tell you that from my experiences (other drugs do raise my bp) the docs will NOT do a scope on me unless I am in a facility where there is an anesthesiologist AND monitored by one.

Your husband really needs to have this investigated. Should he have surgery, he would be given a lot more of these drugs and the BP issue could very easily become a serious problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I have a question? Are the polyps they are removing cancerous? Is that why your husband has to hasve the colonoscopies so soon ?

I am sorry his BP is such a serious issue. I hope this resolves, he doesn't need any other worries right now

Bonnie

Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
(female)

amm8589 HB User

No, the polyps are not cancerous. There is a long family history of colon cancer on his mother's side, and he and one of his brothers (along with their mother) have colonoscopies on a regular basis to remove the polyps before they become cancer.

I agree about checking with an anesthesiologist. One of the mothers in my son's class is one so I think I will talk to her about this issue.

Thanks for your feedback!

amm8589

Closed Thread