It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

jan55 HB User
Post colon resectioning diet

It's been 1 year since my surgery. I had 13 inches of colon and rectum removed. Doing OK, except I'm still dealing with rectal pressure, frequent bowel movements, and feeling like I can't fully eliminate. This is about 3-4 days a week. I'm finding that, contrary to the doctor's words, diet is making a difference. I think I may be overdoing the fiber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jan

Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
(male)

Chief65 HB User
Re: Post colon resectioning diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan55 View Post
It's been 1 year since my surgery. I had 13 inches of colon and rectum removed. Doing OK, except I'm still dealing with rectal pressure, frequent bowel movements, and feeling like I can't fully eliminate. This is about 3-4 days a week. I'm finding that, contrary to the doctor's words, diet is making a difference. I think I may be overdoing the fiber. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jan
Hi!
I wish I did. I am actually trying to find some help for my friend who had 12 inches removed about 1 month ago. She is having 30 to 50 movements per DAY-and the doctor has not been much help. She tried the high fiber and nuts-hoping that eating only "good" food would help. Now she says it could be complex carbs -this would eliminate all healthy foods-there does not seem to be any one thing that works for everyone-but this frequency is getting her down-and it is painful as well. Did you have this frequency at first? I am sorry to be asking you questions-when you asked for help. Right now she would settle for one day a week that she was "normal". Any advice is appreciated and I do hope you find a diet that works for you--I am thinking now that each person is different in how the colon reponds to this surgery and what is needed to get it back to "normal".
Thanks and my best to you,
Chief

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
(female)

Annie57 HB User

It has been 4 years since I had my resection and reversal. I still have issues, but things have improved some.From what I have been told/read and exerienced after this surgery your body never gets back to normal. I take metamucil 2-3 tablespoons a day and this helps. My surgeon told me that bulk is needed to help limit the number of movements in a day.

I have found that spicey foods, corn , raw vegetables and too much fat can cause problems. I am never 100% sure that I will not have issues on any given day. I watch what I eat if I am not sure of bathroom locations and I live a very normal life.

There are days when I still have up to 10 movements a day and donot feel like I have eliminated everything. also very normal. Every inch of the colon is for a purpose and if some is removed changes will occur. Over time some improve.

I always say to myself when issues arise I am lucky to be alive and healthy. It helps to get over the bad days.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
(female)

jan55 HB User

Annie Thank you for replying to my question on diet. I've found that grapes, prunes, and watermelon give me a BAD day. Thanks for the advice on how to deal with the fact that things will never be the same. I thank God that my cancer was caught early, and I really appreciate the good days. I feel comfortable traveling with my husband, but I haven't traveled with friends since the surgery. I feel too uncertain that I will have a bad day, or will be stopping constantly for the bathroom. How do you handle those situations? Jan

Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #5
(female)

jan55 HB User

Chief, I am sorry to hear about your friend's suffering. I agree with you that everyone's reaction to the surgery is different, but I do think the medical community could be more helpful in offering suggestions. There are some common sympthoms and I'm sure they could research and advise. But we'll try to help each other out. I was more frequent in the beginning, and things did seem to settle down. What I have discovered, with a lot of trial and error, was I think I was overdoing it on the fiber. I think my colon got over-senitized, (if that's a word). Even though I don't have IBS, I noticed some of the same sympthoms. Have your friend look up the sites on IBS, especially the one from Heather. I didn't buy any of the products, but there is a lot of helpful info. I cut my Metamucil intake way down, and I've noticed problem foods for me are things with skins, (ex. grapes, tomatoes etc.). If I eat too much fresh fruit and veggies, without other foods with it, it also causes the next day to be BAD. Red meat has been a problem too. I'm sorry to say that it's really something you have to work with. Tell her to keep a food journal and also write how she felt. For me it's usually what I ate the day before that bothers me. Hope this helps. Jan

Old 06-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User

Bowel surgery can trigger IBS in some people. Also it can upset the normal function of the bowel for quite awhile - maybe years before it settles down totally for some people. Check out IBS diets that recommend soluble fibre as this type is more gentle on the gut and is helpful for both diarrhea and constipation. Look on the labels of fibre supplements to check for the right type of fibre.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #7
(female)

Annie57 HB User

I am also ver reluctant to travel with anyone other than my family.

4 years later and I still can not be sure of what type of day it will be. Things are much improved but not by any means normal. As a mater of fact this past weekend I had a bad day.

I do not eat lunch if we are out and I can not have easy access to a bathroon. Coping becomes easier as time goes on. But I know if I do not take Metamucil daily I will have major issues. This works for me and as I said I have tried to keep track of foods that cause me problems.

It is not always easy but this is thenew reality for me after surgery etc... I am sure things will improve for you but keep in mind "normal" will be much different than before.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
(female)

rachelacey HB User

I was so happy to find this post. I'm not quite 3 mos. out from resection and I never know what kind of day I'll have and I've been very anxious about it. You've all given some helpful info here and I'll keep reading! thanks all!

Last edited by rachelacey; 11-07-2008 at 08:16 AM.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
(male)

Tommy36 HB User

I had an ileostomy reversal in July 08 and experienced many BM problems. I have had a signifigant improvement in the last three weeks by starting the following :

2 Teaspoons of Benefiber in my first cup of morning coffee
1 handful of Pistachio nuts every day
1 handful of Black seedles grapes every day
1 apple every day
no beans of any kind
I eat several slices of white bread every day
No milk or ice cream unless I take Lactaid as directed on package

otherwise I eat pretty much what I want. My stool is almost presurgery size. I have much less acid burning. I do however still go several times before BM completes.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
(male)

tahb HB User

Metamucil every night after meal or just before sleeping, helps me in controling my BMs to 4-5 next day. If I skip metamucil, I get about 20 BM next to next day. I take about 1-2 tea spoon in 6 Oz of water.

I stay away from spinach. If I take too many raw veg, then I increase my metamucil.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
(male)

danc9554 HB User

After reading all the posts, it seems like I have the opposite probem. I had my surgery in January of this year and I am taking laxitives just to have a BM. I've had CT scans and even an endoscopy and my doc says there should be no problems. Stomach is very sour, nausea and constipation........doc can't find a problem.......anyone ever experienced ths?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #12
(female)

Bo Dan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc9554 View Post
After reading all the posts, it seems like I have the opposite probem. I had my surgery in January of this year and I am taking laxitives just to have a BM. I've had CT scans and even an endoscopy and my doc says there should be no problems. Stomach is very sour, nausea and constipation........doc can't find a problem.......anyone ever experienced ths?
Hi Dan,
I too had a surgery in January and had similar problem for three days as the diet I was given (without fiber), white bread, white rice and such. After the initial three days I bought Docusate capsules to soften the stool. On top of that we bought papaya and eat it three times a day and the problem disappeared. But you are a long time after the surgery, what do you eat? Do you take any fiber? I am sure if all results are fine that it must be something that you eat or not eat.

Regards,
Bo

Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
(female)

Bo Dan HB User

Hi,

I couldn't keep the hospital one-month diet of no fiber as it constipated me severely. When I discovered papaya on regular bases it brought me back to life. After the initial month I used yogurt and started juicing (carrots, Granny Smith apples, beets, celery) and also made buckwheat soups with verity of vegetables. I also take raw vegetables.

Does anyone here uses the Dr. Budwig diet of cottage cheese and Flax seed oil?
Bo

Old 07-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
(female)

jan55 HB User

I had my colon resection in June 2007. Through much trial and error, I've found I must restrict my diet. For example: no beans of any kind, no corn, grapes, peas, and going easy on milk products and staying away from fats. I tried Metamucil of varying amounts for over a year after my surgery, because I took it before the surgery and liked the way it helped keep me regular and added fiber to my diet. Well,I suffered quite a bit with this, I feel that I overdid the fiber. Now I watch the fiber in-take. I can eat things high in fiber but only a little at a time. I've stopped the Metamucil altogether since it gave me pressure cramps in lower abdomen and rectum. But when I stopped everything I became constipated. I now take Mirolax, but I have the perscription form which is called Ployethylene Glycol 3350 NF. This is a lot more economical with my perscription plan. I take it every night, BUT I only take 1/4 of the perscribed amount. I had to fool around until I got the right amount. This has helped tremendously, along with the most important thing...prayer. I hope this helps.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
(female)

livingbyfaith HB User

My husband 68 stage 3 cc 2 1/2 years ago has taken flax oil and cottage cheese since surgery. He opted out of chemo, doing natural things, organic food, essiac tea, supplements.

Closed Thread