It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
(female)

TatCat HB User
Colonoscopy yesterday and some questions

Hi,
I just had my first colonoscopy yesterday, and I have a few questions.
My Dr said that he found the biggest polyp that he has ever seen. He said it was about the size of his thumb. He gave me a picture of it, he called it a pedunculated polyp, it almost seemed to have a platform that it sat on.
He took the polyp out and put a tattoo in the area that he took it from.
He said that it would be about a week or so before he got the pathology back from the lab.
He also said that he wants me to repeat the procedure in 3 months and again in 1 year. I asked him if he had any feelings about the pathology and he said that he really didn't know if it would be pre cancerous or not, that he hasn't seen one like it before. It did not have a cauliflower appearance, but more like a cone shape. There was nothing remarkable about the color of it that I could see.
I know nobody can tell me one way or the other, and the pathology report is going to get here when it gets here.
Can anyone guess why he would want to follow up again in 3 months and again in a year without getting the pathology?
I understand why he put the tattoo there, because in 3 months time, there may be no evedence at all that a polyp was even there.
I have read that the bigger a polyp is the better chance there is that it has cancerous cells.
I guess I'm looking for help with digesting this information and making sense of it. I would just like the opinions of people that have been there, and advice.
Thanks for any advice and sharing any experience with me.

Cat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
(female)

WA_LADY HB User
Re: Colonoscopy yesterday and some questions

First of all, you are correct that USUALLY the larger the polyp, the greater chance that it has of being either cancerous or precancerous. However, that is not always the case, so don't go pinning everything on that. My friend had a very very tiny polyp that the doc told her was probably benign and it turned out to be precancerous.

If it should come back precancerous and since it was a pedunculated, he probably wants to go back in three months just to make sure that all of the 'stalk' was taken. Oftentimes it is difficult with large polyps to make sure that everything that might possibly have grown into the bowel wall has been taken. With a polyp this large, there is a good chance that the polyp had already started to invade the bowel/rectal wall and particularly if it was precancerous, the doc will need to follow up and make sure nothing was left behind. My guess is that he may also be thinking that this particular type of a polyp may be more fast growing that others so he would want to check you more often. Were you having any symptoms? If a polyp that big did NOT produce symptoms, he is just being cautious in wanting to make sure that another one doesn't grow and get that big before being found.
Good luck. Please, although the prep is no fun, make sure to follow you doctor's advice and get the follow up colonoscopies. It's well worth it to avoid hearing those words, "you have cancer"

Jaynee

Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
(female)

TatCat HB User

Thank you for responding! I was having some bleeding, but not too much.
It would be on the stool and toilet paper, and it didn't appear all the time.
He did feel that it was the cause of my symptoms.
I have been doing some reading about this but you never can tell whether or not what you are reading is remotely accurate, there is so much on the internet.. I'm trying not to panic.
He said that when he took it out that it was really close to the skin(?)... I can't remember exactly what he said that it was close to, but i got the impression that he went pretty deep. He felt it had been there for a long time. I am 49 yrs old, with a family history of breast cancer, and I just had a hysterectomy in February because of a suspicious ovarian cyst... I also had the BRAC testing which came back negative and I was hoping I was out of the woods for awhile....here we go again! I guess I should be counting my lucky stars that he didn't say, "you have cancer".
I will follow his instructions to the letter. You are so right, I never want to hear those 3 little words.
Thanks again for your input!
Cat

Old 06-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #4
(female)

TatCat HB User
Update

Hi,
My Dr called today to tell me that the polyp is benign! It was a villous adenoma (?) I thought he said adenocarcinoma, but that would mean it was malignant right?
Anyway, it's benign!
Weisssoccermom, you were exactly right. He wants me to go to his office in 3 months for a sigmoidoscopy to make sure that all the edges are cleared and if he needs to clean anything up, he'll do it right then and there.
He said that in 1 year he wants me to have another colonoscopy to make sure that nothing else has grown or grown back, and we'll take it from there.
I can't tell you how relieved I am!
Thanks again for your input. I truly appreciate your thoughtful response.

Cat

Old 06-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #5
(male)

marky1956 HB User

Congrats on your results!!

I have to schedule my colonoscopy for the near future. I had one back in 2002, and everything was clean, but I've been feeling lousy the past 6 weeks, with some abdominal discomfort and 2-4 loose stools a day. So my doc says since I'm 51 and 6 years since my last one, with my symptoms, go ahead amd get another one!

These things can get you on edge for sure. Again, nice to hear you had good results.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
(female)

TatCat HB User

Marky,
Good luck with your procedure! Be sure to go. I have had 3 cancer scares this year and one of them led to major surgery. I have every intention of following through with the follow ups on the colonoscopy and the other tests that my Docs have told me I need. I really don't want a repeat of 2008!
I hope all goes well for you.
Take care,
Cat

Old 06-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello TatCat,

Congratulations on your good news regarding the polyp ! We exchanged posts earlier in the year regarding your ovarian cyst scare and I couldn't believe that this was happening to you. And you say this is your THIRD cancer scare ?! You must be a bag of nerves by now. On the one hand you were unlucky to have all of these occurrences happen to you but then again on the other hand .. they are benign so woohoo ! Thank goodness. I sincerely hope that you are finished with all of this and that your future scans come out clean. I am sure that you are fed up of seeing doctors under less than ideal circumstances. All the best ! By the way, depending on your doctor, the prep for the sig is not as bad as for the colonoscopy (only a couple of enemas on the morning of the sigmoidoscopy).

Marky, good luck with your colonoscopy. I hope all turns out well for you.

Take care !

Estria

Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
(female)

TatCat HB User

Estria! Hello! How are you doing? I remember you, how could I forget? You kept me together with the ovarian cyst... I have been wondering where you have been.
I'm glad this one is over as well! First it was the mammogram that they kept going back and forth on, I must have gone in to have my left breast viewed 8 times! Finally, I can go 6 months, then back on to my yearly schedule.
I had the BRCA 1& 2 testing that came back negative...whew!
Then it was the ovary, then it was this...
2008 has been a very interesting year for me.
I finally changed Drs and this one, while cautious, has been a bit easier to work with. My family history makes them crazy..
Please keep in touch! How are you? Did you get your issue resolved?
Take Care,
Cat

Old 06-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello TatCat,

Better safe than sorry as they say. If you are sure to keep going for your tests every year then even if God forbid, they did find something dangerous, you will have caught it early enough to get rid of it. If you don't have the BRCA gene then this is indeed great news and I am sure this must have put your mind at ease immensely.

As for me, I am due for my next ultrasound in August. I have not been having terrible pains during ovulation so who knows, maybe the cyst has regressed. I have a feeling that it is still sitting there and if it does not change, I am perfectly happy to leave it there and not have surgery. They found the thing in September and by February it had not changed so it is highly unlikely that it is dangerous (unlike colon cancer, ovarian cancer usually progresses quickly). None of my doctors think that this is dangerous and my main concern now is if it grows .. in which case I will have to have a laparoscopy to remove it (and possibly also the ovary as well as I don't really want to keep going back and forth into surgery). I will certainly do my best to hang on to my parts for as long as possible !

I hope the weather in Florida is beautiful. Over here we are finally having some great weather and I have returned from a couple of weeks of vacation and a week long business trip. Nothing like getting away to change one's thoughts and help to put things into perspective. My daily walks sure do wonders for the body and the mind.

Stay well and keep in touch !

Estria

Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #10
(female)

TatCat HB User

Hi,
I hope all turns out for the best with that cyst.. Mine was found in Sept as well. I certainly don't blame you for wanting to hang on to your parts!
I sure tried to hang on to mine, but I lost that battle in a big way!
I'm doing ok with it though, I found a Dr that likes to work with menopausal women. When I started with her, I already had my colonoscopy scheduled, and she was happy about that.
I am going to follow the direction from the GI doc to the letter, I really liked him and he was able to explain everything to me, the how, what, and why.
He is being careful with me. He even put up with my silliness when I was still under the influence of anesthesia. I was lucky that as well as being a good Dr he has a wonderful, patient disposition as well.
Florida is beautiful right now, but it is HOT!
I understand that Canada, even though it gets very cold is always beautiful.
One of these days, I would love to get in the car with my husband and drive up there.
Lets try to keep in touch. I was so happy to see that you responded to my post! You were so helpful to me when I was so scared! I would go into our thread and read some of your responses, and it really helped keep me sane..
I will always appreciate that.

Cat

Old 06-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello TatCat,

Wow, you really made my day ! I am so glad that I made a difference. These darned ovarian cysts cause so much worry and fear in so many women because they are so common (or so I found out). Although my cyst is a simple cyst and therefore less likely to be dangerous, I was still pretty scared when I first found out. I was very fortunate to have doctors that were very professional and extremely reassuring (especially my GP and radiologist).

Yes Canada is a beautiful country, especially the province of Québec, where I live but I would strongly recommend that you visit during the spring or summer months. Our winters can be extremely harsh. We are currently under construction due to damage that the ice on our roof caused this past winter. We always seem to be battling the elements around here.

I would love to stay in touch with you. Do let me know if you are ever planning a trip up to the great white north.

Take care and all the best !

Estria

Closed Thread