It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
A question for those who were awake for their colonoscopy

I know most people who have a choice will want to be put out, so this is directed to those of you who have been awake during the procedure and can answer a question for me - Do you just lie still on your left side during the entire procedure, or do they 'twist and turn' your body like they do during a sigmoidoscopy?

Last edited by kellie2; 06-28-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Re: A question for those who were awake for their colonoscopy

So you just lay there. Then why is it when they do a sigmoidoscopy, they're twisting and torking your body all over like they're guiding the scope through your colon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

because it's flexible, does that mean it moves through the colon easier?

Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

OH. So I assume your brother wasn't moved around during the test then, he just laid there on his side? This has me worried because I have a bad back.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

Annie57 HB User

I have had many colonoscopies. You begin by lying on your side. You may be asked to bring your knee up, this can make it easier to pass the tube through.

I have always been sedated. I have also been given enough meds that I was completely out.

No time was I ever moved around or did I have to change positions, just asked to lift my knee up.

I think the prep is worst than the test.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User

Hi Kellie 2, I was reading some post about Colonoscopy placement. I just had mine on Tue. 7/15/08. I have had lower back surgery, and just 11 months ago I had a very intense neck surgery. I talked to my doctor about this, and I did WEAR MY COLLAR. I needed a small pillow as I laid on my left side. The staff was very, very nice and did everything to help me. I was put under, and when I awoke, I was still in my same position... So, if you have these concerns, PLEASE tell your doctor, AND the staff when you get yours. Things should be fine.. Good luck. Janatee

Old 07-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Thanks to all of you who answered. A friend just had one and he was awake....he said that yes they do move you, he said the nurse grabs you around the waist and moves your body so the tube can go through. He said it wasn't 'alot' but that yes, the nurse is moving your body somewhat so it's easier for the doctor to get the tube through the entire colon. How on earth do they do this without causing a possible problem for a lower disc?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
(female)

cptmac HB User

The main thing to remember is everyone is different. I've had two colonoscopies and one sigmoidoscopy. I have never moved or been moved. Everything went in and out without and incident. Every on staff thought I handled everything quite well.

Also, on my second colonoscopy, I asked for them to go real slow over my inicision so I could take a close look at it. They said the next time I get one, you won't even be able to see the incision.

So don't be afraid, everyone is different. Remember you mainly hear from people who had problems. I was wide awake and I'm a Stage IV survivor.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
(female)

buckeyefan51 HB User

I was awake through my entire procedure and I don't remember anyone moving me at all. I was so much awake that at one point the doctor looked at me and said "will you please be quiet...you're supposed to be sleeping." Painless procedure...for me anyway.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
(male)

chuck kerrville HB User

I was awake and watching the exam on TV for first 3 exams in Denver. My first in TX I was knocked out for most of the day.

Closed Thread