It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
(male)

spotnumbers236 HB User
How much does colon cancer surgery cost? Health insurance none. help please!

Please can someone give me a ballpark figure on how much the surgery to remove a tumor in the lower part of the colon would run? I need to know because I want to raise money because we currently don't have health coverage. Also does anyone know of any health insurance that will accept a person with a predetermined condition? Thank you.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
(female)

WA_LADY HB User
Re: How much does colon cancer surgery cost? Health insurance none. help please!

That's a really hard question. How low down? LAR surgery costs more than colon surgery higher up. Do you know if the surgery is an LAR? Will it be done laproscopically? That will change the duration of the stay & other factors that influence the price. In addition, each person is totally different in how they recuperate. Some will heal quicker than others meaning they can get out faster meaning less $$ for the hospital stay. In addition, each person is absolutely TOTALLY different in how long it takes for their bowels to 'wake up' after surgery. The doctors will NOT allow you to be released if your bowels are not 'awake' and you are not able to eat foods without any problems. There are other facts to consider. Surgeons charge different fees as do hospitals - and a lot depends on whether or not you are seeing a colorectal surgeon vs a general surgeon, what part of the country you are in, teaching/research hospital vs smaller/ rural hospital. There will also be charges for the pathologist as well as the anestheisologist so honestly it is just too difficult to give you a $$$ figure as to how much this will cost. I would suggest you contact the hospital/doctor and discuss the situation and see if you qualify for aid for this surgery. In addition, and I don't mean to be pessimistic here, but the reality is that MOST colorectal cancer surgery cases do require adjuvant (post-surgery) chemotherapy. You need to think about that scenario also with regards to cost and possibly start researching what the state has to offer with regards to health care medicaid or basic health.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User
Re: How much does colon cancer surgery cost? Health insurance none. help please!

Speak to a social worker at the hospital. They should not turn anyone down with a serious condition. The social worker may be able to help with medicare or medicade or something like that. Good luck to you.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
(male)

jethro66 HB User

That is a very hard question,you need to talk with the
hospitals financial assistance to get a estimate which is just
that and not including the surgeons ,and other parties involved.
I saw an estimate for $25-40k for a basic LAR without
complications. Then you have to figure in your
hospital stay of 5-7 days. It is very expensive .
With chemo and all your looking at hundreds of thousands.
If you have any assets you may be able to tranfer them
into someone elses name and see if you can qualify for medicare .

If you've been diagnosed already there is no insurance company that
would insure you.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

I would like to add that you CAN get health insurance after diagnosis after 6 months of treatment completion (i.e., chemotherapy). I know because my husband went through it and I started a new job with health insurance which included his coverage. so it depends on the scenario. There are things to check into and I wish you the very best in your recovery. Worry first about that, second about the $$.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
(male)

jethro66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslide05 View Post
I would like to add that you CAN get health insurance after diagnosis after 6 months of treatment completion (i.e., chemotherapy). I know because my husband went through it and I started a new job with health insurance which included his coverage. so it depends on the scenario. There are things to check into and I wish you the very best in your recovery. Worry first about that, second about the $$.
I think she was referring to right now before they incur the financial
hit. Of course group health insurance through employment is available
as she said .There are also other ways to find help through the hospitals
charity care assistance if you qualify. You probably can qualify for medicare
in the short term. All that can be worked out after treatment .

Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
(female)

TRICIA12 HB User

So sorry to hear you are in such a dilemma. Boy do we take our health service for granted over here. All we do is moan and groan about how badly run it is and spread awful stories about it in the media, but I don't know what we would do without it. Everyone runs down our country, especially us, but I'm thankful my husband is being taken care of by the good old NHS!

I do hope you get the care you so deserve!

Old 08-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
(female)

anprdp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotnumbers236 View Post
Please can someone give me a ballpark figure on how much the surgery to remove a tumor in the lower part of the colon would run? I need to know because I want to raise money because we currently don't have health coverage. Also does anyone know of any health insurance that will accept a person with a predetermined condition? Thank you.

I agree that you should worry about your health first and the money last. You cannot put a value on life. My 42 year old brother in law is dying at this very moment from colon cancer. Some of the people who have been around here awhile might remember me talking about him. The second time the cancer returned they just could not get rid of it. And he has been literally starving to death on hospice for 2 months now waiting to die.

As for the cost, my colon resection and some following complications cost almost 250k. It isn't going to be cheap, but in most states it is deemed that as long as you "attempt to pay" a hosptial debt they cannot do anything to you. Even if your only paying 5 dollars a month. My husband and I just finished paying off a debt for 10,000 dollars at a 100 dollars a month since 1999 so I understand the worry associated with "what do I do next". I wish you the best, but make sure you treat yourself as your life cannot have a dollar sign attached to it.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #9
(female)

TatCat HB User

My suggestion to you, like everyone else here has said, is worry about your health first! Next, go to the business office of the hospital and ask to speak with someone who can help you work out the finances.
Most hospitals have someone that can guide you through applying for Medicaid and other programs that are in place for patients that cannot afford the health care they need. They will also be able to give you a "ball park" figure based on the procedure(s) your Dr feels will be done on you and you can work it out from there.
They will want to get a lot of financial information from you, proof of income, assets, etc. but they will try to help you get what you need.

Closed Thread