It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

mystie64 HB User
can the GI dr usually tell if polyps are cancerous by viewing?

I finally convinced my husband to get a colon screening( no symptoms anything wrong) which he had yesterday, the dr came in says im sure glad he had this scheduled as i found numerous Huge polyps all on left side, have him make appt to see me in a week, would the biopsys be in that quick? the dr seemed urgent, ive had 4 test i had to see dr in two weeks, this has me worried, hubby is 67, somehow i feel the dr is suspicious of these polyps amd i getting overly concerned?

Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
(male)

idunno HB User
Re: can the GI dr usually tell if polyps are cancerous by viewing?

Hi mystie64,
Yes to a certain extent , Gi's know from size and type of polyp if they should be concerned,but biopsy is the difinitive diagnoses. My last scope produced two small 2mm polyps neither of which should have been a problem. Both were biopsied and one showed pre-cancerous changes. best of luck with the results. PS It is not all doom and gloom I am almost 11 yrs out from st3 colon ca. Ron.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
(female)

WA_LADY HB User

Generally speaking, the doctors get concerned that the larger the polyps the more likely the chance that they are precancerous or cancerous. That being said, usually a doctor, if they are pretty darn sure that the polyp is definitively cancerous will tell you so and they tend not to call it a polyp then, but rather a mass. That doesn't mean that the doctor isn't concerned, but my guess is he wants to check that it isn't precancerous. The biopsy results can be back way before a week and your husband would be in that office much quicker than a week if the doctor felt that this was urgent. I'm NOT saying that this is nothing to worry about and I am NOT saying that there is. Size is one indication to the GI doctors about polyps but not the only one. My friend had her scope, the GI doc came to talk with her and I was there with her. He told her not to worry about anything because they found a polyp but it was very very small. After he left, I went and told the nurse that I don't think that it was appropriate to tell my friend that and sure enough her polyp was precancerous. I have also know people with the opposite -large polyps that the doctor thought were precancerous because of their size and they came back as benign. Regardless, polyps NEED to come out. In the best case scenario, the polyp will be benign and your husband needs to be followed up, probably in 2 -3 years. If the polyp turns out to be precancerous, he will need another scope in about 2 years but no more. If, by some chance it is cancerous, don't get too worried right away. Polyps can be cancerous at the 'head' but not in the stalk and snipping those kind off is all that is needed. There are wayyyyyyy to many variables here to start freaking out right now. Wait for the biopsy results to come in and go from there.
Please try not to panic right now. Your husband did the right thing by having his scope and that's the most important thing to remember right now.
Jaynee

Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

mystie64 HB User
Cool Re: can the GI dr usually tell if polyps are cancerous by viewing?

Thank you for assurance, we will know wednesday, what amazes me is my hubby has had 4 diff family physicians, you know how docs move around, but not 1 ever mentioned him having a base line colon test, some men think if a doctor doesn't ask for such and such a test then you don't need it, but heart trouble is all they dwelled on, i coned him by saying"you know i notice skin tags, thats a sign of polyps" >Evil grin< but hey it got him in, i learned years ago caring for my mom you have to be your own advocate for your health care, this case the dr ask what brought him in, hubby says my age so test was scheduled, hubby thought the prep and procedure was a walk thru the park, for others afraid of having this done, ill be back wednesday to let you know results

Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
(female)

mystie64 HB User

well hubby saw the gi dr today, dr thinks they are ok,he thought report be back today but were not, he said the polyps were so large he could hardly remove conventional way but got the job done, he goes back in two weeks for the biopsy report and another test in two yrs, the doc said you better thank whoever talked you into having colonscopy done

Old 11-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
(male)

iamamen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystie64 View Post
I finally convinced my husband to get a colon screening( no symptoms anything wrong) which he had yesterday, the dr came in says im sure glad he had this scheduled as i found numerous Huge polyps all on left side, have him make appt to see me in a week, would the biopsys be in that quick? the dr seemed urgent, ive had 4 test i had to see dr in two weeks, this has me worried, hubby is 67, somehow i feel the dr is suspicious of these polyps amd i getting overly concerned?

Closed Thread