It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

Tommy212 HB User
Unhappy Getting my first colonoscopy tomorrow

Hi guys, well as the title says I'm getting my first colonoscopy tomorrow. I been constipated for years, days would go by without even going once, then when I do very little comes out. It just got to the point where i started having really bad abdominal pains. My doctor feels that the pains are associated with the amount of stool that has been collecting inside of me. And there just not coming out causing stress on the intestine. So he urged me to do a colonoscopy. Obviously I am really nervous about the procedure. Just the whole thing in general, the fasting, entire procedure and in fear of the results. I'm hoping it doesn't have anything to do with cancer. Other symptoms I have been exping are blood and protein being found in my urine during my routine physical, really bad back pains and nausea. I am fasting today and at 7pm I have to drink that horrible stuff WITHOUT flavor packs. My insurance company denied me of flavor packs, amazing if you ask me. Do flavor packs cost that much to be covered???? Anyone with any exp in a colonoscopy? How bad does this stuff usually taste WITHOUT flavor packs. thx in advance for any info.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
(male)

BubbaJack HB User
Re: Getting my first colonoscopy tomorrow

Tommy212,
I have had (2) colonoscopies, it doesn't hurt. The doctors know what they are doing, so you can rest assured that the process will be fine. As far as the cleansing drink goes, yea, it taste bad, but just chill it and kill it. You can do it without adding flavor. I trust that when the process is over the results will be favorable and that you will be OK. Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
(male)

Tommy212 HB User

thx for the reply. appreciate it... I hear I am allowed to eating jello, is this true? I am feeling the effects of not having to eat so far and its only 520pm here. The nausea will kill me if i dont get something in my stomach.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
(male)

Tommy212 HB User

So i have drank my first cup of the stuff so i can cleanse my colon out...... I don't understand it, it tasted like nothing. Almost tasting like water. I am worried that I might of done this wrong. Can anyone fill me in exactly how I was suppose to do this? In the container there is WHITE powder in it. It says on the container that I have to fill it up with water to the top. And thats exactly what i did. Did anyone exp the "no taste" of this stuff??? I'm fiquring i did something wrong because i hear soooo much stories about this stuff tasting so bad. Could I have been givin the wrong one?

Last edited by Tommy212; 08-13-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
(male)

BubbaJack HB User

Jello is OK as long as it is not red in color, you can eat all the Jello you want up until about (4) hours before the exam

Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
(male)

Tommy212 HB User

I have regrettably stopped taking the stuff that makes me empty out my colon... I manage to consume 90% of the chug, I just can't consume anymore. I'm up to the point where my gag reflexes just gets the better of me. For every little sip I take its a massive struggle for me to get it down. I'm really hoping the 10% i didn't consume won't hamper my procedure tomorrow.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
(female)

mystie64 HB User

depends on what your taking to prep, make sure you read instructions, list of what you can drink, and drink drink, warm fat free chicken broth if you get tired of all cold drinks, usually nothing by mouth after midnight, only your dose in the am approx 3 hrs before procedure when your cleaned out you may see a yellow watery BM, i had to drink my prep real slow so as not to toss, don't worry about the test, make sure your sedated, when you wake up its over, take a short nap, pass some gas & home you go

Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #8
(female)

mystie64 HB User

it won't, better to get 90% down than try rest and lose all of it, i had the same trouble, had to take it slow or i lose all of it

Old 08-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
(male)

Tommy212 HB User

Hi, just got back from doing my colonoscopy. My first exp with it was rather unpleasant but otherwise went okay. I'd give my exp a 5/10.

Right to the point, the nurses hooked me up with all sorts of wires and gave me an IV. I sat there for awhile until the doctor came in to do the colonoscopy. The nurse gave me a sedative through the needle. Long story short... the sedative hardly effected me at all, and i saw her injecting multiple sedatives. I think i counted up to 3. All i was feeling was a little dizzy but that was it. Truly disappointing as I did not want to be awake. The entire procedure was rather uncomfortable because of the sedative just not working. The pains got pretty bad as he was going deep with the scope. Nurses had to hold me down from moving so much. I felt like my insides were about to burst open. After a little while later I started to feel more comfortable. The procedure went fair considering sedatives were weak, but it just seems that the entire procedure was only 5 mins long, extremely short. I feel that the doctor didn't finish his exam. I couldn't believe how fast it was over. He says there wasn't anything to be found then just left the room. And that was the last i saw him. I had asked someone how far he went, she said only the large intestinal tract gets looked at, I asked her does the small one get scanned.. she said no. I thought a colonoscopy exams the entire intestinal tract including small intestine? Can anyone clarify? Do they really only do the large intestine during a colonoscopy? thx for any info in advance.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
(female)

mystie64 HB User

sorry to hear your first exp not pleasant, the entire procedure runs about 30 minutes, maybe you were out for most of it, my last test wasn't great they let up on the sedative cause my blood pressure dropped to low, other 4 i was out all during the test, sounds like your clear for several more yrs, thats great news, yes the test i believe is lg intestine, when you have your follow up visit with dr id sure ask why they went light on the sedative

Old 08-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

FLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB UserFLFLOWERGIRL HB User

When having the Colonoscopy, they only check the large intestine. When having the Endoscopy they look at the esophagus and the stomach. At this time some doctors also look at the small intestine and do a biopsy if necessary trying to DX whatever. There is also a capsule that you can swallow to look at the small bowel for bleeds and things. There is also an xray that you can have to check out the small bowel but I forgot what it can tell, however, it you cannot have a biopsy in this test. FLFLOWERGRL

Old 08-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #12
(male)

phoenixdragon HB User

hello tommy212,
i am glad the doctors did not find anything serious..
i was introduced to the wonderful world of endoscopy and colonoscopy last year too.. the first times i was under and did not feel a thing so it was good..
the results weren't that great as i almost kicked the bucket and they ended up taking 70% of my large intestine.. but i am doing much better now..
anywho.. the last time they did a colonoscopy it took a while for the anesthesia to work and they already started to shove and poke and it hurt.. good thing the anesthesia kicked in.. oof.. i would not want to do this without sedatives.. i feel your pain..! and that horrible stuff you have to drink before..! yech! i could not finish it all either.. i was up almost all night trying to jam that nasty concoction down and nearly puked it all out at every sip.. ah well part of the deal i guess.. but no fun..
good luck and i hope you feel better!

Closed Thread