It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

Katiee HB User
Rectal exam showed blood

I had a Pap test yesterday & she also did a rectal exam. When she put it on a slide, it showed blood in the stool. Now, I'm to do the 3 stool sample testing & drop off at the lab. If it comes back showing blood, I'll need a colonscopy. I had one done 4 yrs. ago & it was clear.
Now, for my questions.....lately I've had a lot of aching with arthritis in my knees so was taking a lot of Excedrin. I've had some gas off & on, & noticed my stools had narrowed.
What are the chances that this is colon cancer? I'm praying it's due to all the aspirin I've taken which I stopped yesterday & have gone to Tylenol Arthritis. Plus, I eat a lot of red meat, and am praying that may have something to do with the test results.
Would anyone please talk to me about this, what you have been through, what your feelings are? I feel so alone & to say I'm scared would be an understatement. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
(female)

mystie64 HB User
Re: Rectal exam showed blood

good to hear you had a colon test 4 yrs ago, blood in stool can be a number of things, rough foods you ate, hemmroids , constipation, ployps, fissure, i would get off red meat, nuts, popcorn etc and asprin a few days before the stool test. ive had visual blood so i didn't need a stool test for blood and got colon test, small non precancerous polyps+ hemmroids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #3
(female)

anprdp HB User

It is likely this is nothing. As the other user pointed out, there are a long list of causes for blood. But, I am glad to hear you are off the aspirin. Long term aspirin use can lead to bleeding of the stomach and other problems with the digestive tract. I would skip the occult blood testing and head straight to a GI doctor. They have lots of false results and to me I would rather do the colonoscopy. I had my first at 28 and have had one every year since then. Just look for the right doctor to take care of you.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:57 AM   #4
(female)

denise1956 HB User

it is always scarey when unanswered questions arise about ones health. persue all your options for an answer. sometimes dr's can be intimidating. keep asking the questions, pushing for answers.
God Blesses

Old 08-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

Cat Az HB User

Believe me you are not alone. I started having alot of fatique and had been having blood in my stool on and off for at least 10 years. When I finally went to be checked they found a polyp which turned out to be cancerous. I have always ate a lot of red meat. I went thru surgery, chemo and radiation and I'm on the road to recovery. The only thing slowing me down was my ileostomy reversal. The recovery has been rough from this. Your young and whatever is going on was found early. If you need a colonoscopy do the test. If they do find something seriously think about a second opinion and then go from there. By the way I just turned 50. Good luck and keep us posted.

Closed Thread