It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

Gael HB User
Smile Recovery time after bowel resection for colon/rectal cancer

Hi, I am sorry if this is a repetitive posting, but I have read some of the responses to recovery following bowel resection, and I am not sure that I have found the answer that I am looking for.

It is now 7 weeks since my surgery and I can do a lot of my normal housework, but find certain tasks, i.e., those that pull across the body and lifting a little worrying, so avoid as much as possible. [I]am not scrubbing floors or vaccuming at this stage. I am concerned though that I have a sharp stinging pain when I cough or sneeze and tend to bend sideways in the wrong direction. From those that have had a similar experience, would you say that this is to be expected still at this stage? I hestitate to bother my surgeon yet again with another question. I mentioned pain on one side at my re-call appointment and that was normal, but I guess I expected to be a little freer re coughing and sneezing at this stage. Thank you. All the best to others experiencing similar problems.

Gael

Old 08-29-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

V_dubgurl HB User
Re: Recovery time after bowel resection for colon/rectal cancer

Hi! I just had to have an emergency bowel resection on august 20th. I went in for a d and c and my gyno ended up lacerating my bowel and had to have 3 inches of it removed. Anyway, I also have that pain on my side right side actually. Kinda feels like a non stop anoying pulled muscle. It goes away after I go tot he bathroom. Is that kinda like what you had? I asked the nurses in the hospital if it was ok while I was there and they ignored me like I was making it up.
As for the coughing sneezing uggh I cna't even yell if I wanted to. I am so angryinside and just want to yell but I can't. I hope it dosen't last that long.
Hope you are feeling better soon! I am only 1 week post op, and still feel horrible.

The Following User Says Thank You to V_dubgurl For This Useful Post:
ellisgwenda (10-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
(female)

Gael HB User
Smile Re: Recovery time after bowel resection for colon/rectal cancer

Hi Thankyou for replying. Yes, you have described the pain exactly, and sometimes it feels that it is linked to using my bladder. It is now 7 weeks and that has eased up, but with the coughing and sneezing, I think, there is a back problem, but that is also easing.

I feel for you and wish you well with your recovery. If only 1 week out from your op, I am sure each week you will notice a big difference. I think we need to think back to how we felt a week or two before to appreciate the small distance we have made. My second round of chemo starts in 4 days and I hope it goes as well as the first lot, but guess I can expect more side effects as cycles come and go.

All the best and keep hanging in there.
Gael

Last edited by Gael; 08-29-2008 at 08:19 PM.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
(female)

Gael HB User

Hi again, Since posting last month I am concerned about a sharp knife like pain that always accompanies coughing and sneezing, but sometimes when moving in certain directions, while the same movement produces nothing another time. It also hurts to stand or sit also, but at other times all is well.. The pain is now on the side of the resection. Has anyone experienced this result? It is now nearly 8 weeks since surgery. I think I should contact my surgeon. Have just come home from 2nd cycle of chemo, and was also wondering if that plays a part in this. Any advice would be most welcomed. Best of health to all. Gael

Old 10-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
(female)

aquablue2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gael View Post
Hi again, Since posting last month I am concerned about a sharp knife like pain that always accompanies coughing and sneezing, but sometimes when moving in certain directions, while the same movement produces nothing another time. It also hurts to stand or sit also, but at other times all is well.. The pain is now on the side of the resection. Has anyone experienced this result? It is now nearly 8 weeks since surgery. I think I should contact my surgeon. Have just come home from 2nd cycle of chemo, and was also wondering if that plays a part in this. Any advice would be most welcomed. Best of health to all. Gael

Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

aquablue2 HB User

Gael have you found out what it is yet, as i have the same pain when I sneeze or cough or move certain directions the pain is unbearable.
I had emergency bowel surgery 10 weeks ago.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
(female)

Gael HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue2 View Post
Gael have you found out what it is yet, as i have the same pain when I sneeze or cough or move certain directions the pain is unbearable.
I had emergency bowel surgery 10 weeks ago.
Hello Acquablue2,

Yes, my doctor says it is normal and part of the healing process. I walked out of his surgery so relieved, and he was right, it eventually went. I wish you well and a fast recovery from the pain as it is quite awful. I still get an occasional odd pain in the area if I have been coughing or sneezing a lot, but it is nothing like the 11 week pain. There is a term for it and I have always said that the op and chemo have affected my brain and just now I cannot think of it. But it is a common occurrence, this pain after surgery, and it is not forever. I think the term is scar tissue, but like I said......

All the best

Gael

Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
(female)

aquablue2 HB User

Thanks so much Gael I feel so relieved and not so worried now,I am 10 weeks after surgery will let you know how I am after 11 weeks ???? Di

Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
(female)

rachelacey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue2 View Post
Thanks so much Gael I feel so relieved and not so worried now,I am 10 weeks after surgery will let you know how I am after 11 weeks ???? Di
I had bowel resection on Aug. 20 and, honestly, for 10-12 weeks I was sure something was wrong with my uterus. I also felt strange pains first on one side and then on the other. I've finally had almost all pains disappear But I was really worried for quite awhile!

Gest wishes to you both!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #10
(female)

operation HB User

Hi Aquablue2 just to let you know I also have the same problem as you.
I had big operation in March and April with removal of large piece of bowel (due to very bad Diverticular Disease)and I had an ileostomy bag. They had to make an incision at bottom of scar to allow fluid to drain and I had that
dressed from then until September 2nd. They had to wait for the hole to close
up before they could do a reversal, which was not happening, then all of a
sudden I could see the wound filling up, but it did not stop, it kept on going
and was getting quite large it turned out that it was the bowel coming through the wound, and was quite large now.

I saw Surgeon and went in on September 2nd for the Surgical Hernia to be
repaired also the reversal of the Illiostomy.

I was in hospital for 2 weeks and my stomach looked a mess with the scars now. About 2 weeks later I noticed the edge of the scar was changing, so
I went to Doctors and he said it was infected and put me on 2 lots of antibiotics there was no weeping, but on the Sunday I got up and there
was fluid trickling out all the time so my husband took me to A & E where
they admitted me and I went for surgery again next morning, for exploratory
and clean out they thought there might have been an abcess there, they
drained off 1.5 litres of fluid and I was left and still have too small drain
wounds, one each side of pubic area. I was in for too weeks again.

When I came things weren't too bad but then I suddenly started to get
this pain that you say you are having it hits you so suddenly and it
really hurts and stings and sometimes lasts a little while, it can come and
go many times a day and night. I saw the Surgeon and he said that
it was probably scar tissue and that I had had a lot done to my stomach
and that it would get better in time. that was a week ago, so I dont really
know what it is, sometimes I think it could be something piercing a muscle
because when you move you can get rid of the stinging pain. Sometimes
it feels like being stabbed it is so sudden. Sometimes when you start
to walk up stairs it starts, it has even started when the Telephone rang one time lol so that makes it sound like a nerve thing.

I also wonder if anybody else has had the same probem and what it could
be. I certainly have not strained myself, because my husband does
everything for me.Please let me know if anyone has had it and got rid of
it somehow.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
(female)

aquablue2 HB User

Operation you have had a very bad time my sympathy.
I still have the sharp severe pains in the right quad and its 11 weeks since surgery, I also have bad time when eating, my gullet hurts and I feel sore in my tummy for about an hour afterwards, I wonder when Iwill feel well again and live life to the full.
Thanks for your reply and hope you get better soon.

Closed Thread