It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
(female)

Lanthony HB User
high cea levels can't find where cancer is

Dad has high cea levels can't find where cancer is. What is normal? Has had 2 scans, colonoscopy, xray and camera down his throat... He is down to 107lbs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: high cea levels can't find where cancer is

I am sorry your dad is going through this. How high is his CEA? Has he had a PET scan which can light up areas of concern?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #3
(female)

Lanthony HB User

It went up in 30 days from 1800 to 2200. This is information I am getting through family, as I am in another state. What is normal? He is a smoker, I know that raises it. It's so frustrating. He has been gonig through all these tests and scans and they say he has cancer, but they don't know where.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
(female)

bmccrea HB User

Sorry to hear about your Dad. For a smoker 5 and below is considered normal. Twice in the past my cea level has gone up to 2.5 and my oncologist has sent me for a CT scan. The folks at the cancer center scare me when they send me for scans. I also go to a clinic in Tijuana twice a year. When I went in July my cea was 2.8. On Oct. 9th I go to my regular cancer center to get it done again. I'm just praying that it will be 2.5 or below.

It must be frustrating being in another state away from you Dad. Alison mentioned a PET scan. A lot of cancers can be found with a PET can when they cannot be found by a CT or MRI. I sure hope the docs can find the source quickly.

Take care,
Barbara

Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #5
(female)

Lanthony HB User

He has had a PET scan. Didn't find anything, yeterday they did the camera thing down his throat and did a biopsy from a mass on his adreinal gland. Again nothin. Tomorrow he goes to cancer institute. Don't know questions should be asked.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

This must be so worrying for you and it is amazing that with our modern technology, that they cannot find anything on scans. Even though 3 is really the highest CEA one should have as a non smoker, my husband, who does not smoke often has a CEA of 4 or slightly above that, like 4.1. His onc sent him for scans and a colonoscopy but nothing showed up except some inflammation in the rectal area where he had radiation. He feels very well.

Hope you get answers soon.

Alison

Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
(female)

grannynancy HB User

I am gathering from what I am reading that climbing CEA may occur well before an actual cancer is found.

My father had surgery for stage I lung cancer about 1.5 years ago and was diagnosed with stage IV about 6 months ago. Recent PET scan shows NADA ZIP but his CEA values have been climbing steadily since the surgery - even during recent chemotherapy after PET scans did light up then subsequently did not after the chemo. He is now at 300 - just had a PET scan today but don't know the results.

We are scared and I understand the feeling where you don't know where it is hiding - I don't know how high CEA can go in the abscence of cancer or with diverticulits etc or what the actual number means in terms of longevity....it is not all clear but very very concerning.....all I am getting is values this high are probably definitely indicative of colon or liver involvement.

Please let us know what you find out about your dad.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
(female)

Lanthony HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I am gathering from what I am reading that climbing CEA may occur well before an actual cancer is found.

My father had surgery for stage I lung cancer about 1.5 years ago and was diagnosed with stage IV about 6 months ago. Recent PET scan shows NADA ZIP but his CEA values have been climbing steadily since the surgery - even during recent chemotherapy after PET scans did light up then subsequently did not after the chemo. He is now at 300 - just had a PET scan today but don't know the results.

We are scared and I understand the feeling where you don't know where it is hiding - I don't know how high CEA can go in the abscence of cancer or with diverticulits etc or what the actual number means in terms of longevity....it is not all clear but very very concerning.....all I am getting is values this high are probably definitely indicative of colon or liver involvement.

Please let us know what you find out about your dad.
Thank you for your concern. He just had a PET scan and now have to wait until Monday for Dr's appt to find out results! I don't understand the delay. It's driving me crazy, the waiting they did give some medication for his appetite and he has gained 1lb. He weighs 108 lbs now. We are lucky that he has no pain with this, but his CEA level is at 2400. I find it hard to understand the waiting days for the results of the scan. The Dr. actually told my brother she thinks it's probably lung cancer and has probably spread elsewhere. Very frustating..... Will keep you updated as soon as I find out more.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

Lanthony HB User

Hi, Got the news today on my dad. Not so good... He has cancer in the liver and bones and even in his spine. The miracle is he has NO pain, the Dr's can't believe it. It is not curable, but ccan be treated to some degree. They still have yet to figure out where it started. I guess that is important to the treatment plan, they will do a biopsy of the liver soon..He is eating, the meds for that seem to be working, he has gained 3 lbs.

I am just relieved to have some answers, even know they aren't all that good. We are blessed he has no pain yet.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so sorry to hear the news but glad that, when they have done a biopsy, they should be able to work out a treatment plan. As you say, it is so good he is not in pain and that he is eating better...that will help him through treatment. Please post back to let us know how he is doing...look after yourself too!

Alison

Old 10-08-2008, 05:48 AM   #11
(female)

grannynancy HB User

I am sorry to hear the news about the liver but hope the meds continue to keep the pain at bay and help with slowing down the progression of the cancer. Stay on, I think it will be a rough ride ahea [maybe less rough with the right meds] and I am glad you have a brother to share this with.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #12
(female)

Lanthony HB User

Well, they finally found out the type pf cancer my dad has. It is pancreatic, that has metetasised to the liver, adrenal glands, and on the bones. They say it is stage IV and not curable, but amazingly he still has no pain. He starts chemo on Friday once a week and a pill every day and they will put a port in his chest as soon as possible. Only time will tell, I hope he keeps eating and feels as little pain as long as possible.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #13
(female)

grannynancy HB User

I guess you take it one day at a time for here on out and treasure each day. Be thankful for the lack of pain. My dad is on a 2nd line chemo drug now, Tarceva, but his is lung cancer. There are some promisitng posts about that in the forum - I don't know if it is fit for your dad or not, obviously.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am sorry they found cancer but as you say, it is good he still has no pain. Hopefully, the chemo can keep it at bay. Sending good wishes and prayers your way.

Alison

Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #15
(female)

Lanthony HB User

That is exactly what he is on Tarceva and Gemzar. Only time will tell, the Dr. says she has success with other patients on these drugs now. Just don't know with how much it has already spread. I have to decide now, when the right time is to visit. I've got to believe I will feel when the time is right.

Closed Thread