It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
(male)

dan8484 HB User
stage 4 chemo/radiation

my mother was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer which has spread to other areas around her colon. They can not remove the main tumor because it is too big, so the plan is to shrink it first then hopefully go back in and remove it. The oncologist has her starting chemo, but not radiation - my understanding is chemo has a chance to shrink it, but why not try both at the same time? I understand the radiation will not do anything for the other cancer in her liver and the surrounding areas, but why not give her chemo for that, and also use radiation directed at the big tumor? I asked the oncologist but they didnt really explain it too well, hopefully somebody here has an idea why you cant do both. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: stage 4 chemo/radiation

I am sorry to hear about your mother. From what you say, she has colon cancer as opposed to rectal cancer. My understanding is that radiation therapy is not a common way to treat colon cancer, though it may be used in certain circumstances....not sure why, but I am sure someone else can advise on this.

Hopefully, the chemotherapy will shrink the tumour sufficiently to be able to remove it. I wish your mother well. Please post back with any more questions you may have and we will try to answer the best we can.

Alison

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
(female)

anne37 HB User
Wink Re: stage 4 chemo/radiation

I also was diagnosed with stage IV colorectal cancer which had spread to my liver. My team of oncologists and surgeons had me undergo chemo 5FU for 5weeks as well as radiation that was directed at the colon tumor. We allowed six weeks for the tumors to shrink and then I had surgery to remove 2/3rds of my liver and 12 inches of colon. That was two weeks ago and as of today I am cancer free. I will begin 6 months of chemo to help ensure that the cancer does not return.I would push for more answers from the oncologists. From the research I have done my experience is typical for treatment of colorectal cancer which has spread. I pray that your mother has a positive outcome, God can do anything anne37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8484 View Post
my mother was recently diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer which has spread to other areas around her colon. They can not remove the main tumor because it is too big, so the plan is to shrink it first then hopefully go back in and remove it. The oncologist has her starting chemo, but not radiation - my understanding is chemo has a chance to shrink it, but why not try both at the same time? I understand the radiation will not do anything for the other cancer in her liver and the surrounding areas, but why not give her chemo for that, and also use radiation directed at the big tumor? I asked the oncologist but they didnt really explain it too well, hopefully somebody here has an idea why you cant do both. Thanks.

Closed Thread