It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

jall HB User
mass found during colonoscopy - unable to biopsy due to location

My mother, 64 years old, recently had her first colonoscopy simply because she has never had one before. A circumferential mass/tumor was found during the colonoscopy but due to the location, they were unable to perform a biopsy on it. The report stated the mass appeared benign and she was referred to a surgeon for possible colon resection. Mild diverticulosis throughout colon was also reported.

What can we expect at the surgeon appointment? What are the odds of a colon mass being cancer?

She was told that she will most likely be recommended for colon resection whether it is benign or malignant. My primary concern is that the biopsy was not done and she has a history of cancer. She was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer two years ago - no lymph node involvement and no metastasis. My mother is very concerned about it being cancer because she was also told her breast cancer appeared benign before she got the pathology results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
(female)

anprdp HB User
Re: mass found during colonoscopy - unable to biopsy due to location

There is really no way to know for sure until the colon resection. I, also, at 28 went in for a routine colonoscopy for reasons with my stomach and they found two tumors as well as a bunch of polyps. I underwent a right-hemi colectomy and after surgery was told that the tumors were benign. The surgeon will recommend colon resection because the masses might not be cancer now, but their prescence can turn to cancer in following years. And, they will remove whatever section the mass is in due to the blood supply or arteries of the colon. I do find it odd that no biopsy was performed as my Gastro. doctor did preform one of the tops of the tumors, but could not say what was underneath or inside them. It was a rough recovery, but hopefully your mother's recovery will be better. Mostly, no guarantee as to what the tumor is can be given until it is removed and tested. Best wishes with this~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

judysdaughter HB User

Fortunately, your mother's mass was found during a colonscopy. I can't imagine a doctor telling her it looks benign when it isn't. If it looked malignant he probably wouldn't have said anything.

When the surgeon found my moms tumor during surgery to repair a bowel perforation, I could tell by the look he was giving us that it was not good.

My thoughts and prayers for a benign outcome

Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
(female)

Cat Az HB User

You may want to consider a second opinion after you talk to the surgeon. Make sure you fully understand what they think treatment should intale. My surgeon when starting my resection found that I would need an ileostomy and chemo and radiation. My polyp was lower than he thought. God bless.

Closed Thread