It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2008, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

chriswynn HB User
liver shutting down

My mother-in-law had colon cancer which metasitized to the liver. There were too many nodules in her liver to do anything except Chemotherapy (that was 9 months ago). 9 months later she is living with us and we have hospice involved. I have heard that there is very little pain with liver cancer, but she does exhibit some pain. She has been jaundiced for about a month. I cannot seem to find anything on the stages of the liver shutting down and what to expect. Hospice has been wonderful, but is not very forthcoming with progression of the disease. Can you help?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
(female)

anprdp HB User
Re: liver shutting down

Chris, I am not sure anyone here can help out with this being liver cancer. I hope that you find some answers from someone, but I cannot help. Hospice should have provided you a book with the stages of death and that might be the best information to follow. I am sorry to hear of your suffering. I wish your family the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
(female)

worriedmom200 HB User

Chris,
Our daughter, 35 years old, also has colon cancer with mets to the liver. Her liver is beginning to shut down also. I feel your frustration, as I can't find anything that really helps to understand what to look for. Unlike your mother in law, our daughter has been in extreme pain, and is now on a pain pump 24/7. Her belly is extremely distended, and her eyes are a little yellowish. Her husband told us that the docs told him what to look for: yellow eyes, broken blood vessels (red spots) under the skin on her arms, then her skin will begin turning yellow. Does your mother-in-law sleep alot? It seems our daughter is sleeping quite a bit now. I wish we lived closer to her (we're about 3 hours away) and could go to the doctor with her, but that's almost impossible since they fly every 2-3 weeks to a cancer treatment center.

It is so hard to watch the health of someone you love deteriorate.....

Please let me know the progression of your mother-in law, and I will keep you informed as well...

Old 12-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

jb00642 HB User

worriedmom,
I just wanted to say how sorry I am you and your daughter are going thru this. I am 38 years old and since this summer I have had severe upper right abdomen pain with vomiting and diahrea, plus about 25 lbs of weight loss. They have no idea why, I go for a liver biopsy on monday, I know my mom is worried sick, she is an hour away, so is unable to be there everytime I am in the hospital, but knowing she is there means alot, and I try and talk to her everyday. So I am sure your daughter knows you love her and we be there whenever she needs you. Again I cannot imagine your misery, I wish you the best of luck.

Jackie

Closed Thread