It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
(female)

choosethisday HB User
Iliostomy reversal surgery - what should I expect?

In three weeks I will have surgery Four mos. ago I had most of my rectum removed, but the resection had a leak so I had an emergency iliostomy in order to allow my resection to heal, and to remove all the infection. The week between the two events I had lots of diarehia and a sore bottom. Is that what is normal, and what I should expect when my I'm put back together? On one hand I am thrilled to get rid of my bag... but then I have some fear of pain in the future.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
(male)

lowdog9 HB User
Re: Iliostomy reversal surgery - what should I expect?

Hey there I had a ileostomy reversal after battling rectal cancer back in November at the age of 27. If you are wondering what to expect I will let you know but keep in mind everyone reacts differently to surgery so I can't say you will experience the same. The surgery itself is fairly minor and I tolerated it well. Expect many bowel movements to begin with. For the first month after the reversal I had an urgency to go after every meal I ate. Usually I had multiple movements because the amount of stool evacuating was so small. I also experienced a lot of acid in my stool for the first month and a half after the reversal. This was painful and seemed to be made worse by eating greasy and fattening food. Over the last couple of months (its been a little over 2 months) I have noticed improvements in the number of bowel movements i am having. I no longer have painful movements and my stool has more bulk to it. I suggest you stock up on Immodium or its generic counterpart to help combat loose stools. I have switched over to a fibre supplement and am slowly getting the number of movements I have daily reduced. Good luck if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by lowdog9; 02-10-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #3
(female)

choosethisday HB User

Thanks for replying. I actually had two weeks of life before the iliostomy, after my surgery. I was bottom sore, and had frequent BM's - so I guess more of that - it was pretty painful. How about at night? I am hoping to finally sleep through the night? Do you have to get up often?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #4
(male)

lowdog9 HB User

Not very often at all. After the first couple of weeks I have been able to sleep relatively well. I still wake up to go the odd time but not very often.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
(female)

choosethisday HB User

I'm now two weeks out from my reversal, and it has been difficult. Realized I had a stricture at my anastomosis in my rectum. But I'm having 15 - 25 bm's a day/night... it fairly wears me out. But at first nothing would pass because of the stricture. But that has been massaged a couple of times to widen it. Not a huge improvement, but at least I'm passing something. My surgeon gave me a three week "off work" note. That means I'm supposed to go back to work in three days. I can't imagine! What did your doctor give you?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
(female)

mogg HB User
Smile Re: Iliostomy reversal surgery - what should I expect?

SHOULD I HAVE A REVERSAL? I CURRENTLY HAVE PAIN FROM FROM MY RECTUM. SEEMS TO BE RELATED TO PASSING MUSCUS. IT FEELS LIKE SEVERE SPASMS. THIS HAPPENS SEVERAL TIMES A DAY BUT MORE OFTEN AT NIGHTMY SLEEPS IS FREQUENTLY DISTURBED .i've had an iliostomy for 14th months now due to colon cancer, MY CONCERN IS THAT I HAVE M.S AND HAVE SOME BLADDER PROBLEMS AND FEAR I MAY BECOME BOWEL INCONTENANT CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME

Old 03-31-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
(female)

choosethisday HB User

Wow, 14 mos. seems a long time to have the iliostomy. My doc said that 1 - 5 mos was the norm. But I don't know the reason you needed one. You said colon cancer. I had that too, but then I developed a "leak" where they stapled the two ends of my colon back together, and had a bad infection, that's why I was given the iliostomy. I was very anxious to get mine reversed - and am glad I did... but it has not been "normal" yet. I have 10 - 25 bm's a day. Some times I have a very sore bottom. But, in the last couple days, I am seeing some improvement (it has been a month since the reversal). I don't mind walking this path; I believe I will reach some sort of new normal that will be tolerable. But I would think that passing mucuous is a good sign of a healthy colon - one that's ready to do the job. I can't speak to the MS issue. May God grant you the wisdom to choose the right thing.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
(female)

denise1956 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Iliostomy reversal surgery - what should I expect?

hello. i had my ileostomy for 15 months due to several problems. i had my reversal 7 months ago. i have been improving over the months, but it has not been easy. i have had cronic diarrehia, anal fischures, and stricture. i have tried many medications. medimucil really helps. but..(butt?)...it is all better then the alternative and i am very thankful. it is a slow process. but...as i said, it is getting better and i am thankful.
peace

Old 04-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #9
(male)

Jeggles HB User

I had colorectal surgery last year, an illiostomy bag for several months and then a resection in November last year. I am only now in the past few weeks at the stage where I have the confidence to go far from home due to fears of being 'caught out' with no warning and a degree of faecal incontinence. Currently I don't have that now as things have improved but I still only get minimal warning as food now moves down thru the colon much quicker. When I do have to 'go' I may go a number of times over a period of a few hours and then be OK for 12+ hours. It seems to have been a long slow process but there are signs of continuing improvement and I would hope you experience progress as time goes by. The colon is very sensitive to disturbance I am told so having had a traumatic interference with its normal function I guess what I have experienced could be expected.

I have found a product called BowelBiotics by Lifestream a very useful product in aiding digestion, forming proper stools, eliminating odour and generally improving the bowel environment. I don't where else it is available besides New Zealand.

I wish you all the very best going forward.

Last edited by Jeggles; 04-06-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Closed Thread