It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User
Colonoscopy

I will be going in April for my consultation. What should I expect. What is the best preparation for this procedure. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Colonoscopy

First of all, the colonoscopy is not bad at all. You don't remember a thing. The only part you want to avoid is the anxiety connected with the anticipation. The actual procedure is nothing compared to the fear that proceeds it.

No matter what the prep your doctor prefers, use it. Follow the directions exactly, but I recommend squeezing fresh fruit juice into it (lime, lemon, orange pineapple). Keep it really cold, and drink it down. Keep a positive attitude about the whole thing, after all, it is a wonderful tool for doctors to use to help us in diagnosis, and repair of your colon.

Best of health to you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

To aid in cleaning out your "body" before the procedure I advise you to eat lightly if you can the day before your special diet starts. Things like toast and applesauce, jello,broth. etc. THis will make the cleaning out so much easier! I have found that you might not even have to finish drinking thathat garbage. I have to have 2 gallons of the stuff, we are military , and I only have to drink 1 of mine and sometimes not even the whole gallon as I have Dulcolax as well in the afternoon. Those work wonders haha! If you don't have much in you there isn't much to come out , get it? I start my special diet days before. I can go days like this so it isn't a hardship to eat lightly.

Good luck!!
Bonnie

Old 03-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

When DH had his first one a few months ago they told him to mix some Miralax in 64 oz. of Gatorade for part of his prep. He couldn't even taste anything but the Gatorade, so you might ask about that if they don't offer it at first. I want to encourage you by telling you that his was very easy too. They gave him something that knocked him out, but when they woke him up he was fine, no nausea, no grogginess, etc. We ate breakfast out and after his food digested a couple of hours later, we both went to the gym to work out. Those who have said that the anticipation is the worst (though I know the prep isn't fun either) are probably right.

Nancy

Old 03-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you for your encouragement. The prep is what I am concerned about. Drinking that mixture and getting it all down.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

I wouldn't advise going to the gym, especially if they take biopsies? I can't imagine that would be very good. Plus Your body has lost so much you should really lay low. I would ask the dr .
Bonnie

Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
(male)

pswiley16 HB User

I agree with Bonnie, if you can handle eating light the day before you start your prep the easier it will be to get cleaned out. I would also suggest that if you have 4 liters to drink to start a little earlier than what they told you so you can space out your drinks if you start to feel that you are unable to drink any more. Another problem I had was from drinking so much cold liquids that I was freezing, I was wearing sweats and burried under an electric blanket turned up high. Best of luck to you and hang tough and you will get through it.
Paul

Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. It is wonderful to have so many people giving tips and tricks on how to prep for the colonoscopy. There are things I have read which I never thought of before coming on the board. Very helpful. Take care and good health!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #9
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

I had a colonoscopy today....it was so easy. I don't remember anything after they put the meds in my IV. I had to take Moviprep the day before. Tastes like salty alkaselzer. It helps if you use a straw. That way, it doesn't make contact with as many taste buds. Like an eariler poster suggested, I ate light the day before the prep. To anyone who is anxious about the procedure....don't worry, it's a piece of cake.

Closed Thread