It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

Yeatman HB User
Mass Found During Colonoscopy

I just had a colonoscopy done this morning and was shocked when I was told that there was a "large mass" in my rectum. They took numerous biopsies of which I should get the results back later this week.

However, when I was able to ask the doctor some questions, I was still waking up from the anesthesia and was a little out of it so I wasn't able to ask the questions I now wish I had asked. I was given a copy of what the doctor typed up and I was wondering if someone here could answer a few questions.

The report says "[t]here is a large malignant-appearing mass in the proximal rectum, extending from 14cm to 10cm. It is circumferential and partially obstructing."

So, my question is: is the '14cm to 10cm' the location of the mass within my rectum? Or the size of the mass?

Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Yeatman For This Useful Post:
ignoreen (11-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Mass Found During Colonoscopy

Hi Yeatman,
I'm sorry about your news. Didn't you have any type of warning sign or symptom leading up to the mass they found?
didn't you ever feel like there's something stuck in your rectum and can't expel it during a bowel movement?
This is really frightening if this is the case. Do you have any history of polyps before? How long ago did you have your last colonoscopy before this one?

Please keep us informed if you feel up to it when you get your answer.
I'll be thinking of you and I wish you the best outcome. I really hope the doctor is wrong about the possibility of it being malignant.

Best Wishes,

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
(male)

Yeatman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 1009 View Post
Hi Yeatman,
I'm sorry about your news. Didn't you have any type of warning sign or symptom leading up to the mass they found?
didn't you ever feel like there's something stuck in your rectum and can't expel it during a bowel movement?
This is really frightening if this is the case. Do you have any history of polyps before? How long ago did you have your last colonoscopy before this one?

Please keep us informed if you feel up to it when you get your answer.
I'll be thinking of you and I wish you the best outcome. I really hope the doctor is wrong about the possibility of it being malignant.

Best Wishes,

Linda
I had been suffering from constipation for a while and yes, I did feel like there was something stuck in my rectum and that I could not have complete bowel movements.

I finally went to my primary care physician in December who at first just told me to try some Mirilax and come back if that didn't fix anything. It didn't fix anything so he referred me to a GI doctor who then recommended the colonoscopy.

This was my first colonoscopy, as I'm only 33 years old.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-08-2009 at 01:11 PM.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
(female)

bearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB Userbearcubs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeatman View Post
I had been suffering from constipation for a while and yes, I did feel like there was something stuck in my rectum and that I could not have complete bowel movements.

I finally went to my primary care physician in December who at first just told me to try some Mirilax and come back if that didn't fix anything. It didn't fix anything so he referred me to a GI doctor who then recommended the colonoscopy.

This was my first colonoscopy, as I'm only 33 years old.
Hello Yeatman,

I'm so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It must be very scary for you as you would not expect this when you had your colonoscopy. How did you make out with the prep and did they sedate you for the test? Did you feel anything? I'm going for my consultation on April 16 and am nervous about doing the prep and somewhat for the test. Is there anything you could tell me that I should be aware of before starting this procedure? My prayers are with you and because you are so young you'll have a better chance at fighting this terrible disease. Please get back to me asap.

Hugs,

Bearcubs

The Following User Says Thank You to bearcubs For This Useful Post:
ignoreen (11-10-2012)
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yeatman,
did you get your results yet?
I didn't even try to answer your question regarding the measurment.
I'm pretty sure they were commenting on the "size" of the mass itself.

I'm sure you're busy with the aftermath of all the stuff that is going on in your life right now. I'm hope you're ok and that the mass is not a malignancy.

Bearcubs,
don't be nervous about the prep or the colonoscopy, but I can understand your worries if you've never had one before. everyone has different experiences, and I'd say it depends on the doctor and how he wants the prep done. I worked in an office for gastro doctors and two of the dr's ordered their preps different.
for instance, one dr wouldnt' allow anything by mouth in the morning of the colonscopy even if the test was to be performed later in the afternoon.
where as, the other dr. WOULD allow liquids, like a cup of BLACK coffee, or juice, but only before 6am. nothing afterward.
the day before your exam is when you're supposed to stop eating any foods that solid. you can have jello, but not red jello, you can have icepops, but no red icepops, you can have gatorade, juices, icetea, clear broth soup with absolutely no particles of food in it.
depending on the time of your exam the next day, you're supposed to drink or take the laxative two times. either once at night, then the 2nd dose in the morning of the exam. or two bottles at night and nothing to drink the next morning. It all depends on the doctor and it depends on the time of your exam.
I do recommend that even days before the prep to try and not eat anything too heavy for your stomach to get it ready for a cleansing period. try to avoid meats and greasy fried foods, etc.
Only because of the constant running to the bathroom because it will irritate your bottom area. I read somewhere that a person suggested we rub a little ointment like vaseline to help protect that sensitive area so it doesn't become burnt from the acids when we're cleansing.
it makes you go to the bathroom multiple times. just when you think you're done running to the bathroom every five minutes, you have to go again!
towards one point of the cleansing, it will be literally like water coming out of you. this is why they suggest you try to eat light foods and nothing heavy so that the cleansing is smoother on your system.
I wish I had read that article before I had my prep and exam 3 yrs ago.
the woman who wrote the article did it very well and suggested good things.

You also have to stop taking certain medications before the exam, unless it's blood pressure med's or heart medication and or diabetic.
no asprin allowed, only tylenol for pain. NO blood thinning agents.

then the day of the exam, you will feel a little weak and your blood pressure will be alittle low because of dehydration from the cleansing. sometimes the laxative's that are taken are high in sodium which cause you to become even more dehydrated. they used to tell the patient to take two small bottles of fleet phospho soda, but I JUST found out last week that they don't use it anymore due to the fact it caused renal failure in some people, because when you take this solution, you're advised to drink copious amounts of water because of the sodium content and some people weren't doing it. which in turn caused renal failure. I was shocked.
because in the past doctors used to use these huge bottles of golitely, or how ever you spell it,, but when i was working, they switched it to an easier laxative, something smaller in quantity where a person could at least tolerate the taste and amount without making you gag trying to get the next glass down.
the soda solution was only approx. 3 tablespoons the most mixed into a glass of either water or juice. Now I'm told to take "mirilax" which I'm used to using in the past anyway for my chronic constipation problem, plus I was given a couple pills that are a laxative to take for my prep. I was also given the same instructions I told you about in the above paragraphs.

It's really not bad at all, and if I were to chose out of the two, either the "prep" or the "colonoscopy", I'd say the colonoscopy is the lesser of the two.

as I stated before, each doctor is different. My dr I worked for kept the patient awake, yes, he kept me awake during the procedure, which was only uncomfortable at a point when he was going around a certain point in my bowels, it made me panic and I made him give me more pain medicine.
he called me a baby when we got back to the office and said i was his only patient who needed more medication. I was mad at him for teasing me like that. LOL but he meant every word of it. he took pride in himself for having to use such a low dose of medication on his patients.
then when I had to have the next colonoscopy, i had his associate give me the exam and he was much better. he put me out totally. what a difference.

some patients are afraid to go under so they're the ones that get to stay awake during the procedure but they're made very comfortable. it does not hurt at all.
even when they do a biopsy, you can't feel it.
I got to see on the screen what it looked like inside my intestines. It was very interesting. the bowels look very shiny and squeaky clean. I didn't expect it to look like that inside at all.

I had a polyp which wound up being the less dangerous polyp. there are different ones. some more aggressive than others which means the patient would have to have more frequent exams. I have to have them every 3 yrs.

also, I found out that if a person uses laxatives a lot, it can discolor the inside walls of the intestines. it pigments it like a dark brownish color,which is called "melanosis coli". Early studies suggested that anthranoid laxatives might have carcinogenic activities, but have since changed that theory.
they used to think this condition (melanosis) was an increased risk to colon cancer due to cellular changes.
I had it through out my intestines, but never abused laxatives.
I used a solution once that consisted of a bottle of pills that was purchased in a health food store that said it was all natural. Hummmh..... I began to wonder if this stuff was safe anymore?
so I stopped using it.
I hope i was able to relieve some of your worries about the prep and the exam itself. You can either have it performed in the dr's office or at an ambulatory surgical unit, (same day surgery unit). you have to stay there alittle while till the medication wears off and then you can leave. BUT, you MUST have someone take you home. they will not under any conditions let you go home on your own. Our dr wouldn't even permit the patient to have a cab take them home. they're very strict about that.
they don't let you go to work that day. you can go the next day. you will feel weak, well I did anyway. because of the dietary regimine and then having the diahrea ontop of that.
oh, they also hook you up to an i.v. drip of saline to make sure you're well hydrated before your exam.
I'll stop writing now, I PROMISE.

good luck on your upcoming exam and hope it all goes well for you.

I hope to hear back from you after you have yours to let us know how it went.
I'm also hoping to hear back from Yeatman.

sincerely,
Linda

Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
(female)

Hello Linda,

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate you giving me all this information and spending the time to do so. It is great if we can help someone in whatever situation they are in. This puts my mind at ease. I'm going for my consultation on April 16th. I'll let you know what happens. Have a great day and God Bless You!!!

Bearcubs

Old 03-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I get great satisfaction from helping and caring about others Bearcubs.

After all, I feel like that's why I'm alive. Everyone deserves a chance to be loved and cared about even if we don't know them. I treat others the way I like to be treated.

My visit to the breast surgeon is today at 2Pm. I'm nervous and really dont' want to go. I feel so horrible physically from my darn fibromyalgia that was activated from just rolling out a dense, dry dough to make home made egg noodles yesterday for lunch (which I will NEVER do again) without having a pasta machine to help roll the darn thing out!!!

warning other fellow pain sufferers, do NOT attempt to make this dish! LOL

I'm trying to make light of the agony I'm in right now... but as far as the apptn. to have my nodes evaluated for any further testing, I didn't even fill out the ten page questioner they sent me in the mail last week to bring with me to the appointment today.
so that's my project when I get off this computer this morning.
I thank you for your reply and look forward to hearing back from you Bearcubs.

Hang in there,

Linda

Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY 1009 View Post
I get great satisfaction from helping and caring about others Bearcubs.

After all, I feel like that's why I'm alive. Everyone deserves a chance to be loved and cared about even if we don't know them. I treat others the way I like to be treated.

My visit to the breast surgeon is today at 2Pm. I'm nervous and really dont' want to go. I feel so horrible physically from my darn fibromyalgia that was activated from just rolling out a dense, dry dough to make home made egg noodles yesterday for lunch (which I will NEVER do again) without having a pasta machine to help roll the darn thing out!!!

warning other fellow pain sufferers, do NOT attempt to make this dish! LOL

I'm trying to make light of the agony I'm in right now... but as far as the apptn. to have my nodes evaluated for any further testing, I didn't even fill out the ten page questioner they sent me in the mail last week to bring with me to the appointment today.
so that's my project when I get off this computer this morning.
I thank you for your reply and look forward to hearing back from you Bearcubs.

Hang in there,

Linda
Hi Linda,

Today April 5th is the first day I've checked out this thread since I posted back late in March. I'm sorry to hear about your visit to the breast surgeon. How was your appointment? I hope and pray that everything went well for you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Take care and may the love of God be with you always!!

Bearcubs

Last edited by Administrator; 06-08-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Bearcubs,
believe it or not, it took me this long to reply back to you too because my email site put's my healthboard replies into my spam section!!!! I don't know how to undo this problem. do you?
I want to be kept in touch with when people reply to me. I'm so sorry.

Tomorrow is your apptn. which means you'll be doing your prep today for tomorrows test. right?
what type of cleansing agent did they tell you to use?

guess what? My colonoscopy is the day after yours. This coming Friday at 1:00 pm.
I wanted earlier, but it took a whole month to even get this apptn.. so I took the next availability. they are so booked up! This is the office I used to work for, but the dr. I worked for has retired since then.

I am told to use "mirilax" plus he gave me 4 tabs of "ducolax".
I don't mind that I'll be in the rest room for a good many hours on and off, but I"m bothered more by the fact we have to have the light diet prior to exam and day of. I already have a problem with low blood sugar attacks, so I'll have to make sure i don't eat just ice pops and jello which has a high sugar content. LOL
I didn't have any heavy meals yesterday and won't today either so that the cleansing process won't be so harsh tomorrow and morning of test.

Did you do the same this week?

I wish I could cancel the apptn. it's just too much for me right now mind wise.
I'm not doing so well physically and I'm still losing weight, and just not feeling myself. I barely have the energy to get anything done anymore.
the pain in my joints is unbearable lately. my mind is foggy like when you get a fever, but I dont' have a fever. it's strange.......
I have so many different drs' I have to go to within the next month that I find it all mind boggling. it's easier to just not do anything, but I know I have to get to the root of the problem rather than just taking medication after medication.
I don't like having to take med's. and like to avoid if possible.

I hope your exam goes well for you and that the doctor doesn't find anything wrong. I am proud of you for getting this done. my own sister who's age 65 refuses and keeps delaying to get her suggested colonoscopy performed.
especially with the cancer history she has personally.
I TOLD her there's nothing to it. it's mainly the prep that's more of an inconveince than anything.

Let us know how everything went bearcubs.

Best wishes,

Linda

Old 04-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
(female)

Hello Linda,

I thought I would check in today. So glad to hear from you. The next couple of days will be trying your patience. I'm sure you'll do just fine. The prep "is" the worst part in my opinion.

Today I went for my consultation and they had a slide presentation and question and answers (but no one had anything to ask). We were given two pages with instructions on preparing for the colonoscopy. It is very "clear"!! Ha ha you know what I mean. The prep is Pico-Salax and 4 Dulcolax tablets. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow to stock up on some clear fluids and picking up my prep from the pharmacy. My colonoscopy is scheduled for April 20th at 8:00 a.m. There was a cancellation and I thought I'd better go for it and get this blinking test over with!! I'll let you know how I make out.

How are you managing today with the prep and no solid food?? Hang in there Linda!! You'll get through it. All the best tomorrow. Let me know how you are doing. Before I go to sleep tonight I'll say a prayer for you and ask Jesus to watch over you. Take care

Bearcubs

Hugs

Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #11
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User

Hi Yeatman,
I have been down this road myself and can appreciate that this is not news you want to hear or deal with. I don't want to give your advice or speculate, but I think the measurements are the location in the bowel and not the size. I think a mass of that size (15 cm is 6 inches)
would be a different situation.

I can tell you that I had the resection surgery for a cancer tumor in my colon. It actually was not that bad, and the anxiety was the worst part by far. The surgery and the recovery time in the hospital was about a week. There was very little pain or discomfort. Two weeks later I was back to going to the store, walking the dog and doing regular life stuff. In another two weeks I was back to my regular schedule at the gym and back to work. That was two years ago, and to date I have had not further problems. I did have to do a 6 month oral chemo therapy(capecitabine) that was not difficult and I had very little side effects and they were easily managed.

I want to encourage you to understand that if it is colon cancer, it is one of the cancers that can be dealt with successfully if you have caught it early. I had symptoms similar to yours and my story sounds a lot like yours. I can remember waiting to hear the results the biopsy hoping that it would not be cancer. It is an anxious time and waiting was difficult. I am hoping that the news for you is good. If I can give you any information, I will be happy too. I got some good advise from this site when I went through this.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
(female)

trauma_girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeatman View Post
I just had a colonoscopy done this morning and was shocked when I was told that there was a "large mass" in my rectum. They took numerous biopsies of which I should get the results back later this week.

However, when I was able to ask the doctor some questions, I was still waking up from the anesthesia and was a little out of it so I wasn't able to ask the questions I now wish I had asked. I was given a copy of what the doctor typed up and I was wondering if someone here could answer a few questions.

The report says "[t]here is a large malignant-appearing mass in the proximal rectum, extending from 14cm to 10cm. It is circumferential and partially obstructing."

So, my question is: is the '14cm to 10cm' the location of the mass within my rectum? Or the size of the mass?

Thank you.
that notes the size of the mass...May I ask what were your symptoms?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bearcubs,
It's Linda..... Today is your BIG day for the exam. I really hope that it all went well for you and that they didn't find anything wrong.
I know you're going to be tired when you get home so you probably wont' get this till tomorrow.

Please let us know how you made out. guess what????
The night before my colonoscopy I had to take the ducolax at 2pm, 4 tabs, which I did. Then at 5pm I had to mix 238 gm of Mirilax into 8 cups of water.
I got down the 1st glass and not ten minutes later did I start feeling oozy and nauseus. I broke out in a sweat and decided I'd better lay down to do the rest of the prep. They did say some might get nauseua and that this next step could take up to 2-4 hours to complete.
It took me a LONG 45 minutes in between the first glass to even attempt the 2nd glass. They suggest you drink each glass approx. 10-15 min. apart.

I couldn't do it bearcubs.
I gave up and the two glasses I did manage to swallow and keep down sure worked. About four hours later. 9pm to be precise and into the next morning upon rising at 6 a.m.
I had to wait till the dr's office opened at 9:30 to call them and let them know I won't be showing up for the exam.

I couldn't even bare the smell of this flavored gum that is so potent that I coulld literarrly smell it thru the package. I am not joking you.... I had to have my daughter remove the pkg. of gum, PLUS the fresh cut flowers of hycynthia's next to my husbands bedside. It took all I could do to focus on keeping down what I had in my stomach so I wouldn't vomit.
I couldn't even bare to talk to anyone and just needed to be alone in my bdrm.
Is this NORMAL for the results of taking Mirilax???

I asked the nurse to ask my doctor if it would be possible if I could use my own solution I purchase on line that works just as good to cleanse the bowels and it does't make me nauseus.
I tell you, you never know when these pharmaceutical companies will have to have their product pulled off the shelf because a couple years later they find out it causes kidney damage or damage to some organ.
that's what they did to the former colon prep. The fleet phospho soda. and that was only 3 Tbl. spoons you had to take and worked fantastic!
but it caused liver failure because people failed to follow the instructions to drink lots of water with it.

I had to reschedule the colonoscopy in 3 weeks when he had the next available opening.

I'm not looking forward to starving myself again. After I decided that i wasn't going to have the test, I decided to eat. I could only get a little down because of the stomach upset. but my mind still wanted to eat.

I am still in discomfort since I did the prep. I now have constipation AGAIN and felt something hurt inside upon going. It is now 4 days where I have this gnawing horrible pain if I stand up too long or bend down in my right pelvic area and lower back, into the buttock. It gets so intense that I have to lay down in order for the pain to go away.
I dont' know if I have a hernia inside or if I pulled a muscle or is it the sciatica nerve?
I tell you, if it's not one thing, it's another.
a day does not go by where there is not some form of pain I'm in or suffer with. I lost MORE weight and am now down to 112. I almost chocked when I saw that. I'm getting a little concerned at this point and wish to God I could've withstood the prep.
Now I have to wait.
So this is my long drawn out story of what happened to me since I last wrote to you.

I wonder how Yeatman is making out?

Yeatman, if you have the chance and you feel like writing, I hope you come back and let us know how you're making out.
I'm so sorry to know what you must be going through.
All of us here at the forum are rooting for you and wish you the best outcome.

Sincerely,

Linda

Old 04-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
(female)

Hello Linda,

I hope you are feeling better today!! Having this colonoscopy test done is necessary but just preparing for it is hard on people physically and mentally. I'm sorry to hear you were unable to complete the prep. This is upsetting when you are scheduled to have it done and you just want to get it over with. What other people have said about the prep is so true. It is worse than the actual test. The test for me was a walk in the park compared to the prep. It wasn't the best way to spend your day, that is for sure.

Would you be able to ask your doctor if you can try another prep besides the miralax? As long as you're clear, it shouldn't really make a difference, just as long as it gets the job done.

I went yesterday for my colonoscopy and it came back clear (no polyps or any findings). Thank God!!! I was a little bit nervous when they put the IV in my hand. The nurse was wiggling the needle around and I told her it hurt and she tried inserting it in my left wrist. There was no problem there. It went in the first time and didn't hurt.

The prep I was told to use was Pico-Salax. Saturday at 8:00 p.m. I took 2 tablets of Dulcolax and then only fluids until 11:30 p.m. Sunday night. On Sunday at 5:00 p.m. you drink first packet of Pico-Salax mixed with a cup of water. It didn't taste too bad. Then 6 glasses of clear fluids over next 3 hours. At 8:00 p.m. 2 tablets of Dulcolax. If your procedure is before 12 noon this is what you do next. 9:00 p.m. mix and drink second packet of Pico-Salax then 6 more glasses of clear fluids over the next 3 hours. If your procedure is after 12 noon you start this procedure at 6:00 am. day of procedure. Clear fluids are permitted until 3 hours pre-colonoscopy. No black tea or coffee on procedure day. All required medications can be taken with a sip of water. Avoid red, blue and purple colored beverages.

If this is not enough information, just google Pico-Salax and you can find out more.

Please let me know when your appointment is and how you make out with it. You'll be so happy when it is done!! I'll be thinking of you and praying you do well!!

All the best Linda

Hugs

Old 04-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
(female)

Hello Yeatman,

How are you doing? Please let the board know how things are going. This is a good place to talk about your experiences and to get support from people who care.

May God Bless You!!!

Bearcubs

Closed Thread