It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

sallyannk HB User
how long does it take to heal after surgery

how long does it take to heal after surgery

Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
(female)

JTL52 HB User
Re: how long does it take to heal after surgery

Hi Sally,
I was out of work for a month after surgery. A few tips I had were walk as much as possible and drink a lot of water. Walking really helps get thing moving again and I think it helps to regain strength.
Good Luck
Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
(female)

sallyannk HB User

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the reply. I agree that getting moving as quickly as possible especially after the operation, really helps. Did you have to have any chemo? What type of cancer did you have in your colon?

Regards

Sally

Old 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
(male)

idunno HB User

Hi sally,
I had st3 cc with 6 nodes involved. I had major surgery ie. cut from sternum to below navel. They removed some transverse and descending colon. I was in hospital for ten days and was well enough to have chemo at three weeks. I went back to work at five weeks and worked right thru chemo. I have been ca free for over eleven years. Good luck and a speedy recovery .Ron.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
(female)

JTL52 HB User

Hi Sally
I had my whole sigmoid colon section removed because I had two seperate tumors, I also had my gall bladder out at the same time so my incision went from breast bone to pelvic bone.
I had stage 3 colon cancer, two lymph nodes involved.
I went through 6 months of Folfox.
I did continue working full time through out chemo.
I will be a four year survivor come August.
Good luck
Janet

Old 04-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

martin008 HB User

Well you need to be careful for about a month's time. But please whatever you do, make sure you follow a healthy diet from now on. Eating properly will reduce your recovery time and make sure you do not have any more health issues. Consult your doctor for the best diet for your condition.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
(male)

gwb123 HB Usergwb123 HB User

Hi Sally,
I had resection about two years ago. I was surprised at how fast you come back. Make sure to walk as soon and as much as possible. Some people chew gum right away to help get things moving again. Drink lots of water and get good diet advice and follow it.
In about 4 weeks I was back to jogging with my dog and feeling completely back to my old self. It was done laproscopically, but I am not sure that is that much of an advantage other than leaving a smaller scar. The surgery is longer in time than the standard open method. I was in the hospital for a week for recovery. The first week at home was fine, but took it easy just walking around the back yard and watching a lot of TV. By the second week I was walking around neighborhood and to the store. In the third week at home I could do light exercise and return to work.
The first day or two after the surgery in the hospital you feel pretty weak and sleep a lot. I did not have very much pain, and after 2 or 3 days the minimal pain was easily managed with extra strength tylenol. I probably used the tylenol about 2 or 4 times a day for a week to 10 days. Good luck with it and I hope it goes well for you.
Take care of your incisions after you get home because you don't want to get an infection to set you back.
gwb

Closed Thread