It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

murraydp HB User
Thumbs up Ascending Colon Removed

I am posting this in hopes to help others that may need the same or simular procedure.

To begin I am 49 and in good health. My dad had colon cancer so I have been having colonoscopies since I was 45. Each time I have had polyps found in my ascending colon that have been dificult to remove. My most recent colonoscopy had a polyp growing in the scar tissue left from a previous colonoscopy. My doctor referred me to a surgeon and on April 1st had my ascending colon removed.

The operation went smoothly. When I woke in the recovery I was in a lot of pain, but they gave me some pain medicine and the pain quickly became bareable.

I was moved to my room. All I was able to have was ice chips and the iv with my pain medicine under my control by pressing a button. Well as long as I did not over press the button. I personally did not have to press it too much. About once every 15 minutes that first day. My activited they wanted me to do was to turn, flex my ankles, cough and my breathing tool.

April 2d I was still only able to have ice chips. They got me up and had me sit in a chair in my room. About a hour later they had me walking around the ward. It was difficult to stand as straight as they wanted me to .. but I did the best as I could. As I walked my belly loosned up some and I was able to stand straighter. Later that afternoon I walked around the ward again.

Thursday night I had broth and juice and Italion ice.

They took me off the pain pump during Thursday night.

Friday morning I had some coffee, they gave me grits but I am not a grits eater and some pudding. I could did not keep the pudding down. I was passing gas and had bowl movements.

Lunch was some creamy soup, ice cream, and jello. Dinner was more soup, popsicles and juice.

I walked around the ward multiple times on my own.

About midnight I got sick again.

Saturday morning I had the same breakfast as Friday morning. I was able to keep it all down. I was released Saturday afternoon. When released I was on a soft diet for the rest of Saturday.

When I got home I would nap ever couple of hours.

Beginning Sunday I was on a low residue/low fiber diet.

Sunday I felt much better than I did Saturday, and Monday much better than Sunday.

My daughter would take me to the mall daily so I could get my walking in. Doctor said no driving for a week.

Today I am back to eating normally. Still being cautious and staying away from peanuts for the time being.

My experience was a very good experience. I wanted to post it so others see that it can go smoothly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #2
(male)

VincethePrince HB User
Re: Ascending Colon Removed

Thanks for sharing, I'm about to take the same ride on that roller coaster. Not looking forward to it but, it's got to be done within the next couple of weeks. Your story at least gave me insight of what to possibly expect. Thanks again

Old 11-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

tmgirl HB User

Was the part of the ascending colon with the ileocecal valve removed? This is what my doctors are saying I need removed . I am scared to death that without the valve I will have messed up bowel movements the rest of my life.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
(male)

murraydp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgirl View Post
Was the part of the ascending colon with the ileocecal valve removed? This is what my doctors are saying I need removed . I am scared to death that without the valve I will have messed up bowel movements the rest of my life.
My cecum (where the ileocecal valve is located) is still intact. My bowl movements are the same now as they were before the surgery.

Hope your surgery goes well.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
(female)

KTDavis7741 HB User

On May 19, 2010, I had my ascending and part of my transverse colon removed due to a large polyp sessile my hepatic flexureit was adenamous. I also had two lipomas and they were removed. It was about two and a half feet of colon that they removed. I had to stay in recovery for an extra four hours due to my breathing. It was done lap assisted. That nite I was up and walking a little ways, they want you up and moving. I was in for 5 days, liquids only for 3 days then they add in a little food. It has been a little over two weeks post op and each week I get a little stronger. I must say that yesterday I discovered that my breathing problems are due to pneumonia. They gave me a pneumonia shot in the hospital because my lungs were having problems. I had IBS before going in and by staying on my low residue diet and adding different foods I haven't had any issues yet. BM after coffee in the morning and unless I overeat during the day generally thats it. Incision is still very tender but a motrin helps that.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
(female)

tmgirl HB User

So, you didn't have to have the ileo-cecal valve removed. If this is correct then that must be why you didn't end up with chronic diarrhea. Do you know how much of the ascending colon you had removed. It's encouraging to hear a good report.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
(male)

murraydp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgirl View Post
So, you didn't have to have the ileo-cecal valve removed. If this is correct then that must be why you didn't end up with chronic diarrhea. Do you know how much of the ascending colon you had removed. It's encouraging to hear a good report.
I had 18-24 inches removed and I did not have the ileo-cecal valve removed.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
(female)

tmgirl HB User

Thanks for getting back. I wish I could find someone that has had the valve removed that doesn't end up with permanent diarrhea. If you know of anyone please let me know. I'm glad to hear you are doing well.

Closed Thread