It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

regslady HB User
So scared...could the cancer have come back?

I've been having abdominal problems for months, but couldn't get much help without medical insurance. The insurance has just kicked in.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer in my teens. As luck would have it, the doctor who treated my grandfather's fatal colon cancer stepped in to do my appendectomy when my doctor wasn't available. Knowing the family history, he was aggressive when he saw the suspicious tissue and he got all the disease removed during that surgery. Since my initial diagnosis, I've had several pre-cancerous polyps removed. I've also had issues with endometriosis on my colon and abdominal adhesions that have caused partial bowel blockages.

Given the symptoms I'm having, I'm feeling really terrified. I know it is so easy to over-react, so I was hoping I might be able to get some input from someone who is less biased.

Symptoms (going on for months)
  • Abdominal swelling / distension...very noticable to others
  • sharp pulling/ripping pain in upper left corner of abdomen and lower right corner of abdomen (constant, with spikes)
  • Sudden onsets of bad abdominal pain that causes vomiting or unconsciousness
  • feeling of needing to have bm but being unable to
  • constipation lasting as long as two weeks
  • very thin bowel movements
  • pain before/during/after bowel movement
  • dark blood-looking matter on stool (only once was it a very significant amount and no hemeroids were detected)
  • fatigue
  • back pain
  • trying to use magnesium citrate causes a sharp increase in pain, but no bowel movement. I wait about 36 hours and try another dose and it will finally kick in within about a day
  • easy bruising
  • blood cell count off - can't remember numbers...I think they were too high

That's kind of the major stuff.

I've got a colonoscopy scheduled in a while. I'm extra nervous about it because the doctor doing it misdiagnosed me a little over a decade ago.

Any advice or ideas? Am I worrying myself needlessly?

Thanks!
Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #2
(male)

idunno HB User
Re: So scared...could the cancer have come back?

Nancy,
get the colonoscopy scheduled for now!!!!!! It does not matter what the result is,you need to know what if anything you are up against. I would also get a new doctor if you have lost confidence in this one. The first time I asked for a scope,i was told to lose weight you are just too fat. The second time I was told I just had a loose loop of bowel. I raised hell and had a scope the next week. I had about a week left I was so close to gangrene. I was operated on the next night. It was st3 into six lymph nodes. If my too fat doc had have put me in for a scope I may have been st1 or 2. Best of luck Nancy...Ron..

Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
(female)

regslady HB User
Re: So scared...could the cancer have come back?

Thank you so much for the advice and for sharing. That is so scary what you went through...and so wise of you to stand up and fight for what you knew you needed. I'm grateful for the reminder that I need to do that for myself.

I feel awful silly about this. When you are waiting for answers, those answers seem so far off. I just realized a couple hours ago that I have to start preparing for the colonoscopy tomorrow.

I'm going to tell them that I don't want put all the way under and see if they will let me watch the screen. I've been allowed to do that before and it was comforting to be able to see what they were seeing. If they say no, I'm going to request a copy of the video.

I only have this GI doctor through the scope. When I was referred to him, I thought his name sounded familiar. My appointment with him was just last week. As soon as he walked through the exam room door, I knew who he was. I talked to my GP's office after the appointment and explained what had happened when I was last treated by him. They consulted with the GI group and no one wanted any delays in performing the scope. Sooo....he'll be performing the scope and another doctor will review it and then take over as my doctor.

I've got that simultaneous relieved and nervous feeling now, realizing I may soon have some answers.

Thanks again...your reply really helped me.

Closed Thread