It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

manchak99 HB User
What are the benefits of Genetic Testing?

well, got the call back yesterday from the GI about the biopsy results on the tiny polyp.

it was a tubular adenoma...the second one i have had in 10 years...actually it was 10 years to this last colonoscopy (2 scopes in between) that my first tubular adenoma was discovered at age 25. GI thinks Genetic testing would be a good idea.....what would the benefit of this be...just curious.....i already know i have the ability to create these at an early age and will get scopes every 2 years but what else can i gain from this type of testing?
I do have a toddler....when will she need to be scoped for the first time?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
(male)

dannybenitez HB User
Re: What are the benefits of Genetic Testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchak99 View Post
well, got the call back yesterday from the GI about the biopsy results on the tiny polyp.

it was a tubular adenoma...the second one i have had in 10 years...actually it was 10 years to this last colonoscopy (2 scopes in between) that my first tubular adenoma was discovered at age 25. GI thinks Genetic testing would be a good idea.....what would the benefit of this be...just curious.....i already know i have the ability to create these at an early age and will get scopes every 2 years but what else can i gain from this type of testing?
I do have a toddler....when will she need to be scoped for the first time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
(male)

dannybenitez HB User

Genetic testing should be a must for everyone. it really helps pinpoint your genetic weaknesses and disease predispositions.
I had one done back in january myself in the report it states the predispositions and genetic abnormalities and the treatment options.
In the treatment options it tells you exactly the treatment or actions you should take for life in order to divert your disease predispositions.
Keep in mind that this test has not been cleared or approved by the FDA and the accuracy of genetic testing is not 100%.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User

The purpose of genetic testing in your case would be to see if you have one of the HNPCC mutations (Lynch Syndrome). The reason for this is HNPCC colon cancers develop much more rapidly than sporadic random colon cancer and the recommendations for HNPCC strongly suggest yearly colonoscopy. In addition HNPCC puts a person at increased risk of other gastric cancers (upper endoscopy recommendation every 4 yrs), renal pelvic/ureter cancer (yearly urine cytology recommended) for women 50-60% risk of endometrial cancer and 12% risk of ovarian cancer. In addition some brain cancers and pancreatic cancer may have an increased risk too.

The first step would be to have the tubular adenoma tissue tested for microsatellite instability. If microsatellite high, there is a good probability of a genetic mutation. First, though have a consult with a geneticist at a major cancer center who will take a complete family history and then proceed with testing if warranted.

Closed Thread