It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
(female)

ancojo HB User
Lower left pains, buttock and anus ache?

Please take your time to read this post, Its rather long but I wanted to include as much as possible. I have just posted this on another forum but maybe someone could give their input?

Bit of random info but points out him having bloods tests over the past 6 months that were all clear. My partner has suffered from head, neck and back aches since March and has had numerous blood tests that all came back clear. The head and neck aches have gone but he still gets aches across his lower back, we think this was maybe due to his posture.

But......

He is 35 and has started getting aches/pains in his lower left side nearly 6 weeks ago, they are constant no day is better than any other, he says it started when his pants felt realy tight on his side and he had to keep loosening them, he was also constipated so he went to his GP who done the rectal examination (which he never expected) the Doc said he was bunged up so gave him some laxatives (Movicol) they didnt work very well but he did start going again but not very regular, the doctor also arranged blood and urine tests that came back clear. The pain didnt stop.

He made another appointment a week later and the Doc told him it could be a muscle strain so gave him some Diclophenac, and took some more blood tests to check Thyroid etc which again all came back clear. The Diclo's seemed to ease the pain for a while but then the pain came back after about a week to how it was originaly.

He cannot sleep on his left side as it aches to much, this worried him so he made another appointment to see the doc, she felt his abdomen etc and said it all seemed ok but she would book him in for a Sigmoidoscopy. Is this strange as surely there are many other things it could be before going the colon cancer route?

He had this done on Wednesday 11th Nov 09 by the same female doctor and a nurse (he was embarrased but that passed) He was told he was allowed to eat the day before and didnt have to take any laxitives, he didnt eat for 2 days before as he was so paraonoid! Anyway he got undressed laid on his left side and the doc done the procedure, it only took about a minute or 2, she inserted her finger then a tube for the air to expand the bowel and then moved something about (the camera probably) and that was it, very quick?

The strange thing is my partner wasnt glad it was over as he said it was all to quick and had read it can take about 10-15 minutes and that laxatives should be taken prior to empty the bowels for a better look. The doc said it all looked clear but as the pain is higher up she would refer him to the Hospital for a Colonoscopy. This again has scared him as why a hospital referal! Is this strange or just precation?

Anyway due to his other aches he had been suffering (start of this thread) he had an appointment with a Physio Friday 13 Nov 09, it was booked ages ago and he was going to cancel until these pains started. The Physio done what he does regarding mucles etc and said the pain in his lower left was not muscle related and that the pain was on the bowel, he was pressing the bowel near the hip and my partner said thats were some of the pain was, the Physio did say its not his department though.

So to finish:-

He has no piles
Has not passed blood
Numerous blood tests all clear
Urine sample was clear
Since the Sigmoidoscopy on Wednesday (doc said was clear) his stools have been normal but quite dark? He wasnt very regular before this.

He has this constant pain in his lower left side.
His abdomen rumbles along quite often and he had alot more flatulence than normal.
He's getting a dull ache in his left buttock which he has had for about a week
He has not been able to sleep on his left side for weeks due to the ache.
Yesterday he got sharp shooting pains in his anus
He has a sore tailbone.

I know it could be a lot of other things but due to the pain being constant for 6 weeks, Docs referal, the pain when the Physio felt his bowel, the left buttock pain etc do any of these symtoms seem anything similar to Colon Cancer?

I'm very sorry if this all seems irrelevant but we just do not know and he is more worried by the day!

Many thanks

ancojo

The following user gives a hug of support to ancojo:
mackley (09-05-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to ancojo For This Useful Post:
mackley (09-05-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
(male)

RDFLA HB User
Re: Lower left pains, buttock and anus ache?

Ancojo:

"...do any of these symptoms seem anything similar to Colon Cancer?"

Since having a colon stent put in place to open up a constricting mass found in the sigmoid area of the colon last February I have experienced lower left side pain that often radiates into the hip and can wrap around towards the back. I do not know if the discomfort is a direct result of the stent or growth of the mass to adjoining areas or both. I take over-the-counter stool softeners morning and evening and it helps. I realize this isnít applicable to your friend but I felt compelled to comment.

The doctor was correct by ordering a sigmoidoscopy in connection with your friendís symptoms, especially the lower left side pain. That this area was found to be clear for your friend is a very good sign. Yet, this leaves open the question as to what is causing the symptoms. Because a sigmoidoscopy only examines a very small portion of the colon the doctor's mention of a colonoscopy is a logical ďnextĒ step. If the entire colon is found to be clear the doctor may, or may not, yet order a CT and PET scans to look for possible lesions in adjoining areas of the abdomen and pelvis--such as the bladder.

Back to the symptoms you describe, as you acknowledge, they do not automatically indicates cancer. There are multiple GI disorders that can be associated with these symptoms and the colonoscopy is an effective diagnostic tool at discovering many of them.

Meanwhile, let us hope your friendís health issue is resolved and his story has a happy ending. Meanwhile keep us updated.

--RDFLA

The Following User Says Thank You to RDFLA For This Useful Post:
gonzo274 (05-23-2012)
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
(male)

Thecrazy HB User

I have had similar symptoms. With my case I had an MRI done on the spine and found a syrinx in the spinal cord from T5-T11. An incidental find was a cyst in the neck. However, I'm 34 and having this, no dr will do surgery due to my age and I have to live with the pain. Well, I get a lifetime supply of hydrocodone which doesn't work most of the time. The point is the syrinx in spine causes bowel problems, aches and pain in neck and back and lower back. It also causes hand and feet tingling and numbness at times. So does thr pain still there after or during rest? This may be the cause. By the way, all my tests were clear as well.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

ancojo HB User

Just to update...

He found out today that his GP hasnt yet done the Hospital referal for a scan! I just found this out today when ringing the surgery to ask how long it would take for the Hospital to get in touch and was told by the receptionist it wasnt even "processed yet" after nearly 2 weeks! The doctor didnt even ring back!

Since the Sigmoidoscopy he started going to the toilet regular once a day for a week, soft green stools but not diarrheah but he is constipated again and has been getting a funny taste in his mouth for the past 2 weeks and keeps getting the odd ulcer on the tongue now and again! This could be anything though!

What worries him most is that he has now had this pain every single day for the past 7 or 8 weeks! He had an Xray on his hip as the dotor thought it may be that however the pain has now moved from the top of his hip so it doesnt seem to be anything to do with his hip now!

He's making another appointment with the doc to tell them that he wants something else done as this is getting beyond a joke. You shouldnt have to suffer with pain for this amount of time surely?

Thanks for the replies

ancojo

Old 12-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
(female)

ancojo HB User

Just a quick update to let you know that partner had a Barium Enema on Tuesday, all went wel other than the pains due to the air pumped in but that went after an hour or so.

I will let you know what the results were when he gets them.

Can anyone tell me how effective these enemas are in detecting serious conditions of the bowel? His pains are more grypy and stabbing now?

Thanks

Old 12-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
(male)

raylenn HB User

Hey ancojo, pleased to meet you. Had the pain on the left too. Thought it was hemorrhoids and tried to treat it for months on my own, big mistake. Go to a doctor who cares more. My GP sent ME for a colonoscopy immediately and found out I had 2 tumors in my large colon and rectum. One was the size of a golf ball and it was removed leaving me with a colostomy bag at my belly button. The other tumor is been treated with FU-5 chemo and daily radiation. Please take care of this immediately even if you have to demand a better response from your doctor. Your partner needs serious moral support and a little sympathy, but be positive and reassuring. LOVE, SOFT MUSIC, CANDLES, ROMANCE etc. Be uplifting and positive. Please let me know what happens. I would demand pain control like arm patches, very safe now days. BTW a colonoscopy is very painless and you wake up 1 1/2 hrs later very refreshed and feeling quite pleasant. No big deal at all. They wont let him drive though so he has to arrange transportation. Like I said I really care so keep me posted.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
(female)

ancojo HB User

Hi again

My partner had the Barium Enema results and they came back clear which i suppose is good news, the bads news (sorry for still sounding negative) is that the pains are still their and the past fews days have actauly been annoying him more? He again says it feels like something is stuck under his lower rib and he says that the bad breath and the funny taste in his mouth he has started suffering is bad! Is this more linked to IBS?

He is having a Renal Ultrasound scan on the 31st December at 8.30am! So let see if thats shows anything up even though we are not sure what exactly this scan is for?

Thanks for the reply

ancojo

P.S He does brush his teeth and use mouthwash so he does not think its his sinues or tooth problem etc

Last edited by ancojo; 12-23-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
(female)

ancojo HB User

Another update!

My partner had an Abdominal CT scan without dye to detect if he had kidney stones but was told this week that the CT scan showed NO stones! This has now scared him as he still suffers from the same lower left ache everyday and also pains in his stomach and the sickness feeling!

He says the ache sometimes feels like something is stuck under his lower left rib and every now and then when he breathes deeply it causes a stabbing pain?

He also had an Endoscopy which showed slight stomach inflamation and bile excess? What worries him more is that he read that Colon Cancer spreads to the Liver and Lungs and now that he has bile excess hes worried that this could be due to this?

Please can someone try to anser me that if this was cancer would he be suffering alot more symtoms or pain in the left area by now?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to ancojo For This Useful Post:
peera80 (01-29-2012)
Closed Thread