It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

looneybin HB User
Adenomatous polyps and genetic testing

I am 39 years old and just had my second colonoscopy recently. Three years ago I had 3 polyps removed, 1-adenomatous and 2-hyperplastic. I just found out that out of the two new polyps they removed, one was again adenomatous and one was hyperplastic. As it stands, my GI wants to repeat the test again in 3 years and I understand the thought process behind frequent scopes and catching polyps early.

I guess the thing that I am wondering about is given my age, and somewhat of a family history of colon CA (maternal grandfather -terminal), should I be considering genetic testing? If so, does insurance cover that or how expensive is it?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
(female)

Anders HB User
Re: Adenomatous polyps and genetic testing

I believe your insurance company is the only one that can answer that question. Some will cover such testing, others will not,

Lee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

cheerus HB User
Re: Adenomatous polyps and genetic testing

Hi there looneybin, I;m not sure about the insurance situation for the genetic testing but I Saw your post its good to know I'm not the only one thats dealt with polyps at a young age & as far as I Know I Don't even have a family history just when IWas in my thirtys I Had some bleeding turns out went for a colonoscopy had 5 polyps removed the polyplastic type as you mentioned you had & the bleeding wasn't from the polyps the doctor said it was from hemmrhoids which if i would have never went to the doctor I Would have never knew I Had polyps or have gotten a colonoscopy so then again in 3 years I Had a follow up and had 3 polyps removed the same polyplastic and so my doctor said it was safe to wait 5 years so I Just had one done this year & had 5 polyps removed but this time I Had both kinds you've had . It kind of bummed me out because they were the pre cancer type that have the potential to turn into cancer over time. But I Know they removed them & Now i go back in 3 more years for a follow up!! Thank Goodness for Insurance but I Guess we have to look at it this way at least colon cancer is preventable!! & now I Tell everyone get those colonoscopys it can save your life!! I Don't like getting it done so often but its not that bad to prep for and so for people that read this and are scared to get it done I Find so many people for some reason are scared to get a colonoscopy and its really not that bad you feel nothing during the procedure. And it can save your life! Also was wondering if theres anyone else out there younger 20s 30s or 40s that has experienced having colon polyps at a young age removed, I Thought is was rare I'm 42 now but have been getting colonoscopys since in my 30's. I Would luv to hear your stories. and looney bin what led you to get your first colonoscopy? family history? or symptoms? Bren

Closed Thread