It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

Menanap HB User
Unhappy about the prep for the colonoscopy

Hello Everyone, My sister was diagnosed with colon cancer about 3 months ago. My mom passed away from colon cancer 15 years ago.....Now the doctors want me to go for a colonoscopy. I am terrified but my sister told me there is nothing to it. The worse part is the night before which is going to start tomorrow......

I was told by my sis that The drink is nasty, but i was also told not to drink anything red, or to drink only clear drinks.

So what can i use to mix the powder stuff with could i drink ICE TEA or is that off the list.

Thank you

Mena

Last edited by Menanap; 01-24-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
(male)

WhiteLightning HB User
Re: about the prep for the colonoscopy

The newest prep isn't so bad. It is mixed with Gatorade. Alot better than the old "Golytely".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
(male)

Gumm HB User

You need to drink about 4 litres of salty tasting water, you'll be on the toilet all night, and your last meal will be just over 24 hours from the procedure, the lead up is tough but if you can drink all of it and just get it done, it's really not that bad.

After the procedure you'll be very gassy and cramped in that area. Overall you wont be 100% for a couple days, at least, I wasn't.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

What kind of stuff are you taking..Is it golytely...that is the stuff i had to drink...I really did not think it was bad at all...the nurse told me to make sure that i drank 3 cups through out the day of chicken broth...I drank chicken bullion...it is suppose to help with the nausea...and it did,i had no problem drinking the stuff...after drinking 4 cups of the stuff i was on the toilet for 2 hours and then i was fine...slept all night and had my colonoscopy at 8 the next morning...i worried so much about having a colonoscopy and really it was not that bad... wishing you the best and you will get along fine...

Old 02-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
(female)

EEPASC HB User

Hi I had a colonoscopy back in 2006 in Indiana and I forget the name of the stuff I had to drink but I drank it with clear Gatorade (forgot the name of the flavor). But it was better than that nasty tasting stuff. Could you tell me what the name of it is?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
(female)

pronanny HB User

My doctor is having me go for a colonscopy as well.

I am to start drinking the Go-Lightly at noon and finish it. Then at
10pm I am also to drink 3 capfuls of miralax mixed with 24 oz. of gatorade.

Isn't the go-lightly all that is needed to clean me out. Why is the miralax
necessary.
It's bad enough to be stuck in the bathroom for most of the day before, but to also be up all night too will suck.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

It does seem like overkill. Talk to your doctor. DH's doc said that once things start running clear you can quit with the stuff you're drinking. I have a different doc and his office agreed. But check with your doctor. If he/she agrees, you might not have to get to the Miralax if the Golytely does the job. The only thing worse than the prep is having to do through it again (or even a more extended version!) because the prep didn't
work and they couldn't do the test. Been there, done that.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
(female)

pronanny HB User

i checked with my doctor. She definitely wants me to take the miralax before I go to bed that night. It's apparently part of their new regime for the prep.
Now I have no hope of getting some sleep that night. lol

Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

pronanny HB User

Ok. I am in the middle of my day of prep. So far I have drank 6 cups of the go-lightly and I don't think I can drink much more of this stuff. I start to gag and have thrown up some already. I am going to the bathroom pretty much every 5 to 10 minutes and its clear with a greenish tint to it. I also still have to drink later around 8pm. 24 oz. of gatorade with 3 capfuls of miralax mixed in.

Do you think I can stop the go-lightly and just keep drinking lots of liquids to make sure I am cleared out well....

Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #10
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

Hey, I'm only an actuary! I can tell you that both DH's doc and my doc said the same thing- you can quit the Golyteley when everything runs clear. Not crystal-clear like water, but no solids at all. Your idea is something I'd do (or maybe stop the Golytely but do the Miralax later) but you have to decide whether to risk not being cleaned out enough for the procedure. In which case you get to re-schedule and do it all over again. Is there some way you can contact your doctor's office? If not, maybe you can check some of the other threads on colonoscopy prep.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
(female)

pronanny HB User

I'm going to go ahead and take the miralax now so it can have time to work. My bathroom visits are clear with a yellow tint so I think I will be fine. I'll keep drinking lots
of liquids untill I go to sleep tonite and hopefully will be fine for my morning appointment

Old 08-09-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
(female)

L144S HB User

going to pop in on this post even though you all are done and I hope clear.

I have Crohn's/Colitis but my prep is slighly different.

I too 2 Dulcolax last night and supose to take 4 at 2 pm but took 2 at noon and will take the other 2 at 2. funny enough the dulcolax has not upset my stomach.

I have Golytely mixed with CL lemonaid chilling in the fridge. to begin at 5 but I may start earlier since i have an early apt an would like some sleep tonight.

if you have to mix you MUST avoid red/blue and purple it can read as blood durring the scope and could mean you have to go back for bad prep

I only have to drink until I am running clear. I am hoping with the help of the dulcolax that this will be less than 1/2 of the drink.

I did not do anything special the last few days except no fruits and veggies (low residue diet)

I can have Jello and italian ice (no red, blue, purple) clear liquids and a savior this moring has been gummy bears (no red)

Hope this will help others looking for info.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
(female)

Theasrac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menanap View Post
Hello Everyone, My sister was diagnosed with colon cancer about 3 months ago. My mom passed away from colon cancer 15 years ago.....Now the doctors want me to go for a colonoscopy. I am terrified but my sister told me there is nothing to it. The worse part is the night before which is going to start tomorrow......

I was told by my sis that The drink is nasty, but i was also told not to drink anything red, or to drink only clear drinks.

So what can i use to mix the powder stuff with could i drink ICE TEA or is that off the list.

Thank you

Mena
Mena: I am doing my colonoscopy prep today and will have my colonoscopy tomorrow morning. I have had other ones, and hated the prep. However, this time I started 3 days prior to the colonoscopy date and drank a lot of liquids and the most solid food I ate was mashed potatoes. Then today I have followed the doctor's instructions. At noon I drank a 10 oz. bottle of mag citrate and then at 2pm I took two dulcolax tablets with a glass of water. At 4 pm I mixed half of the Miralax powder with 32 oz. of lemon Gatorade. By the time I finished that I was having clear bowel movements (at least 10 of them). I will drink the other 10 oz. bottle of mag citrate at 8 pm. (I was supposed to drink another 32 oz. of Miralax/Gatorade, but the instructions say "until bowel movements are clear". I have reached that criteria, so I am just going to drink the mag citrate at 8 and call it a night!
Tea, hot or cold, is ok.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

For the nausea after drinking some of the prep stuff, I found I didn't gag as much if I drank the 6 oz. of the prep, than had a couple swallows of plain water. It was the taste more than anything. Refrigerating the prep drink helps, but only a bit.

The colonoscopy itself was a bit more painful than I expected. My hubby said he didn't remember any of it, didn't feel a thing, but I sure did. Also, because I have a twisty bowel, not all the fluid was gone so they had trouble viewing completely. (my bowel was clear, but there were pockets of the prep fluid in there still).

My hubby, his twin brother, his sister, and my dad have all had colon cancer. My husband and his twin were Stage III, his sister was Stage IV, and my dad was Stage II. My kids definitely will need colonoscopies at early ages with that kind of family history!

Last edited by michlei; 11-18-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Closed Thread