It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #1
(male)

ilayaraja1983 HB User
transverse colon carcinoma

my father age 62 recently found T3N1MX colon carcinoma what is his survival rate in years,, please

Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: transverse colon carcinoma

A person's survival rate in years is dependent on many factors. It appears that your father has Stage III colon cancer. It is highly treatable and with the new chemos most people will survive at least five years and there is an about 70+% cure rate. However, there are things that have to be taken into consideration, such as does your father have any other co-existing conditions, how is his health otherwise? Was the cancer, well, moderately or poorly differentiated? Was there lymphatic or microvascular invasion? What was his CEA prior to surgery? These factors help determine how aggressive the cancer is. The fact that it is N1 is good - that means three or less lymph nodes were involved -a positive predictive factor, as is the fact that there were no mets.

Leslie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #3
(male)

ilayaraja1983 HB User

Hi
Thanks for your reply, how can i send my father pathology and discharge summary in scanned copy, then u will give more suggestion to me. my gastrologist told to me this type is advanced one but here after u don't go for any chemo or radiation because his body condition will not accept.I am having more confusion so help me please

Old 07-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
(male)

ilayaraja1983 HB User

Hi
Thanks for your reply. how can i send scanned copy of pathology and discharge summary to you

Old 07-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
(female)

I am not a medical professional and not qualified to interpret your father's reports. You and your father need to have a consultation with an oncologist if you haven't already and bring a copy of the pathology report, discharge summary and any scans and lab work that you have. Meanwhile, ask his current doctor to please explain the report to you in plain English so that you can understand it. Do not be afraid to keep asking questions until it is clear to you. An appointment with an oncologist at a major teaching hospital or cancer center should be scheduled. Elderly patients (in their 70's and 80's have successfully undergone chemotherapy) Oncologists are the doctors that treat cancer with chemotherapy and will better be able to judge if your father can withstand chemo than would a gastroenterologist or general physician.

Good Luck,
Leslie

Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
(male)

ilayaraja1983 HB User

Dear sir
This is my pathology report
The colonic lesion is an invasive moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.
tumour infiltrate the colonic wall and the pericolic fatty tissue. Novascular emboli are seen.the proximal and distal surgical margins are free of tumour.no tumour infiltrate are seen at the CRM.Metastatic deposits are seen in 3 out of 12 lymphnodes.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
(female)

The report isn't too bad. Moderately differentiated is better than poorly differentiated (less aggressive); clear margins are good (indicates that they got all of the tumor in that area and some good tissue around it), no vascular invasion is good; and so is the fact that only 3 lymph nodes are involved. Please follow up with a consult with an oncologist to work out a plan of chemo. Chemotherapy is used to mop up any stray cancer cells that my be circulating in your father's body and increases the odds of long term survival.

Leslie

The Following User Says Thank You to LESLIETOO For This Useful Post:
ilayaraja1983 (05-28-2012)
Old 11-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
(male)

ilayaraja1983 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESLIETOO View Post
The report isn't too bad. Moderately differentiated is better than poorly differentiated (less aggressive); clear margins are good (indicates that they got all of the tumor in that area and some good tissue around it), no vascular invasion is good; and so is the fact that only 3 lymph nodes are involved. Please follow up with a consult with an oncologist to work out a plan of chemo. Chemotherapy is used to mop up any stray cancer cells that my be circulating in your father's body and increases the odds of long term survival.

Leslie
Hello sir/madam
Thanks for your reply. Recently my fathers right side of stomach some thickness is found, we told to our doctor he told take 4DSCAN.WE took scan just i am sending impression of that scan please guide me anything wrong in that( EXTENDED RIGHT HEMICOLOSTOMY DONE ON 23-JUNE-2010)

LIVER:NORMAL

NO FOCAL LESION LIVER

GB/PANCREAS/SPLEEN:NORMAL

NORMAL KIDNEYS

NO DEMONSTRABLE ENLARGED PARA AORTIC NODES

ATHEROMATOUS AROTA

NORMAL BLADDER

NORMAL SIZED PROSTATE WITH PROSTATIC CALCIFICATION
FOCAL OMENTAL THICKENING IDENTIFIED IN THE RIGHT ILIAC FOSSA WHICH IS SEEN ADHERENT TO THE ANTERIOR ABDOMINAL WALL.

OMENTUM & SMALL BOWEL LOOPS ARE SEEN ADHERENT TO THE ANTERIOR ABDOMINAL WALL IN THE RIGHT ILIAC FOSSA(SCAR ADHESION

DIVERICATION OF RECTI (UMBILICAL & INFRA UMBILICAL UMBILICAL)

NO ASCITIS

NO EVIDENCE OF PLEURAL EFFUSSION.

Closed Thread