It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
(male)

tunerman HB User
colorectal cancer,does tumor size dictate stage?

I just had a colonoscopy done on friday, he told me without even biopsy results I had colon cancer of the rectum,The tumor size was 13cm , he could not pass all away through with the scope and told me to see a oncologist and a surgeon, he sent my biopsy to a lab which i will have monday, I asked him how long do I have 2 -3 years?, why I asked that I have no idea, yes 2-3 years, he scared the hell out of me. I have been bleeding for weeks now, little bowel movements, some burning sensation in my lower abdomen,pain in rectum was bad for weeks but now has subsided almost completely. I am scared if I have stage 4 because of the size of tumor, I am going to sloan kettering tomorrow without any health insurance hoping they wont turn me away. does tumor size dictate the stage of the cancer?????? I still have alot of bleeding and tyelonal is not working like it use to also can this pain in the lower abs be gas?,also pain in the lower back. thank you,

Last edited by tunerman; 10-04-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: more detail

Old 10-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
(male)

JSS66CT HB User
Re: colorectal cancer,does tumor size dictate stage?

I just came back from Sloan for a 2nd opinion. My health insurance does not cover Sloan (out of network) and they did not turn me away for my consultation.

I am not positive... but I dont think the size of the tumor dictates the stage. When the Dr. at Sloan discussed my case and stage... it was more about where the cancer is in my body.

I wish you the best in your care and treatment.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-07-2010 at 05:20 AM. Reason: if a word is blocked, then that website is not allowed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: colorectal cancer,does tumor size dictate stage?

Size is not necessarily related to the stage of the cancer. You can have a large obstructing tumor and still be Stage I or you can have a polyp with a small cancerous center that has already spread to lymph nodes and or lungs/liver. Cancer is very unpredictable and the only way to accurately stage your cancer is to remove lymph nodes and check for cancerous cells, which if found would be a Stage III diagnosis. CAT scans of the chest/abd/pelvis will determine if there are any cancerous metastases in other parts of the body - that would be Stage IV. Whatever stage you turn out to be, do not look at survival statistics since they are based on old treatments and do not take into account the new chemos available and the surgical procedures/targeted radiation, etc. that are now used as part of the treatment so that even advanced colon cancer in many cases can be treated as a chronic disease and kept under control.

Leslie

Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User
Re: tumor size and stages

I totally agree with the other replies. My husband had the exact same thing as you did 3 years ago -- lots of bleeding, went for a scope, they couldn't get past the tumor which only had 3 mm room for stool to pass. He had a 10 inch resection (low anterior, just above the rectum, no colostomy bag). His had gone to 2 lymph nodes, so was Stage 3. He had chemo and radiation, and has been clear with scopes and CT scans since then. His twin also was diagnosed the same year, but has a colostomy bag. His sister was diagnosed 3 years earlier (each of them was 55 years old when diagnosed!) but hers was higher up, no radiation could be done, and was Stage IV when found.

Hope it all goes well for you. Your "bathroom habits" will never be the same again, but it's better than it is now!

Closed Thread