It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
(female)

Zipity HB User
Should we just go with what the doctor says?

I'm sorry if this is vague but I don't know all the exact details.
My father in law was having symptoms that eventually lead to a CT scan which showed a blockage in his colon. They immediately operated. I'm not sure exactly how much they took out of where but I do know he has a colostomy bag. They biopsied it and it is adenoma carcinoma? I think that's right. He's been losing weight very quickly. He has Barrett's esophagus and I guess has issues swallowing. He's down to 150 pounds. He's about 6'5". They saw the oncologist Wednesday and he was pretty much told there is nothing they can do and he has 6 months to live. From what I understand (again, I'm getting details from my husband who is getting them from my mother in law who has admitted she didn't fully understand what the doctors told them) I guess they're saying because he is so thin and weak, his body couldn't handle chemo. They would have to treat it very aggressively and his body wouldn't be able to handle it. They mentioned a feeding tube but they said any nutrients they give him would only feed the cancer?? My in laws are the kind of people that are told something and just go with it. Which is fine. But I'm the kind of person to ask lots of questions.
Should they get a second opinion? Should they just go with what the doctors are saying? A stage hasn't been mentioned. I don't know if they told them a stage or not. I don't know if it's spread. It breaks my heart to know that he is essentially going to starve to death in front of us. Isn't there something they can do to provide him with nutrients so he's strong enough for treatment???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread