It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Colostomy bags

I do not want to break any rules here so if I am asking for something I should not be asking for, please just give any general info you can if you use colostomy bags. A friend of mine is to have his second rectal cancer surgery on Friday and will have to have a colostomy bag. Our choice here is very limited and my friend's wife is looking for advice on types of bags which are the most effective, the most discreet and the most reliable. If you cannot give actual brands, I will understand.

Many thanks!

Old 02-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User
Re: Colostomy bags

Why don't you do a search for ostomy support groups - either on the internet or locally. Sometimes your local hospital can help to direct you. Personal preference, location of stoma and incision and a person's size and activity level all play a part in what appliance works best. Everyone is different and it can take a few months to find the best system and figure out how best to use it. But the learning curve is sharp and eventually it won't be a big deal at all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the response. My friend has had the surgery and they seem to have fitted him with one that works so far. As I said, our choice here is very limited so if this one works, it will make life a lot easier. He had five hours of surgery on Friday and went home today! He has done so well.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
(female)

West Coast Girl HB User

I'm glad your friend is having an easy time of it. A few things you might pass along are -

As the surgery heals the stoma can shrink so he needs to make sure the flange isn't exposing too much skin around the base of the stoma.

Also as he starts getting back to his regular activity there might be a product that would suit him better. Most of the manufacturers - Convatec, Coloplast, Hollister, Nu-Hope, Cymed (I'm sure there are other small ones I'm not aware of) will send out samples of their various styles. This is the way to go as one really needs to test drive the various products and combinations to find the best one for them.

Don't take what the hospital recommends as the only product to use. There are many different set-ups available. One or two-piece, soft or stiff flanges, closed or drainable pouches, snap on or adhesive couplings, filters or not, etc., etc.

I'm so glad his surgery went well! Pass along my best wishes for his speedy recovery.

Last edited by West Coast Girl; 02-03-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Many thanks! I will certainly pass on the information. I am so glad to see you are doing so well....I remember you from the early days of my joining this board. Sadly, we have lost some members since then.

Closed Thread