It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

kitkat70 HB User
Colonoscopy Monday- sedation options??

Thanks for reading my post. I have a colonoscopy scheduled on Monday, and I am freaking myself out about my doctors choice of sedation, propofol. What I have read on the internet about propofol is that it is a very powerful anesthetic that will put you into a coma like state by supressing your entire nervous system. It is so powerful infact, that you need an anesthesiologist to watch and monitor you during the entire procedure. My doctor obviously wants me to use it because it will knock me out completely so he can work better. It seems that my options are limited. They also offer versed and demerol, which are 2 drugs that I have not read anything good about either. I have spoken to some people that did not use any drugs and the experience was not good either. I am at the point of wanting to cancel the whole procedure...

Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
(female)

kitkat70 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy Monday- sedation options??

I am sad that no one has been able to share any sedation experiences. Hopefully everything will go well tomorrow.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Hey I am sorry I didn't see this! I hope all goes well with your procedure. By now I am sure you have left but I just wanted to say that I have had 3 colonoscopies and the first 2 I had versed but the last one my dr used the "Micheal Jackson" drug as the Nurse called it, I can't spell it. I had no problem whatsoever and I am a red head, we tend to have major problems with anesthetics, I was amazed! I actually remember the drive home and was able to stay awake the rest of the day. I will ask for this the next time as well.

Good luck

Old 02-20-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

lilsunshine46 HB User

Kitkat70,
How did you make out? I hope all is well? please let us know,sometimes people don't post due to time constraints(I missed it because I was busy with my daughter being ill) and they might not know the answer but it doesn't mean we don't care.

Bonnie

Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

Hi,
Never fear a colonoscopy. I dreaded that process the same as you. I found it routine. In the same manner my doctor indicated that I would receive a sedative and in all likelihood may not remember what happened.
I had both an upper endoscopy ( stomach) and a lower endoscopy ( colonoscopy).The upper lasted 5 minutes...no problem and the lower lasted maybe 15 minutes...I was somewhat awake but did not feel stressed or in pain.

Remember that these tests keep you in good health. They discover conditions which can be corrected.
I thank the medical profession for having these tests.

You will do just fine..it is your mind which like for all of us creates negative future scenarios and cripple us in the present moment.

you will be fine... in fact you may end up telling your friends that it was fun.

steve

Closed Thread