It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
(male)

stevoramabama HB User
ilieostomy leaking..how to stop

I have a temporary ilieostomy ( waiting for reversal). The stoma is 2.5 inches to the right ( looking down) of my belly button. Whenever I bend (anything other then lying flat on your back) there is a crease/dimple created from the stoma to the belly button. It seems that it is impossible for the flange to maintain its adhesive capability, given an uneven surface.

The home care nurse has tried different Coloplast products; even the convex
flanges ( tried 2) worked only for a most 2 days.
She has also tried stoma paste around the opening of the wafer/flange and this did not work

This cannot be a new issue. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
(female)

kjmiller HB User
Re: ilieostomy leaking..how to stop

It has been a year since my reversal so I am not sure if I can help but I had many abdomen surgeries before my iliostomy so my stomack had a lot of dimples, mounds, etc. I had to almost make a prosetic around the opening. I would use one disk, cut another to mold on top to make the deeper area even with the rest, I then used paste to fill in. I still had leaks from time to time but I got pretty good at evening out around the stoma to get a good lock. It can get expensive using the product but with trial and error, I did find a procedure that worked. I hoped this helped a bit

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmiller For This Useful Post:
stevoramabama (02-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

Thank you for the quick response. Did you have any challenges /issues with the reversal?
They keep telling me that it is routine surgery.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

kjmiller HB User

Well the surgery itself was much easier than all the other surgeries I had. I was very happy to get rid of the ileostomy since I had very bad skin issues with it. I am leary of telling you my story of my life now, because I don't know where your cancer was. I know someone who had colon cancer and went through a lot of my issues at the same time as me. She is doing well and living a very normal life. Her cancer was in her colon. Mine was in my rectum and so I no longer have a rectum. I am still trying to figure things out. I initially had lots of blockages from radiation damage and had to go for another surgery 6 months ago and have some of my small intestines removed. Since then, I am trying to live a normal life but find my diet so tricky and have not figured things out yet. If you look on the board I recently posted a threat titled "Elimination and reintroducing foods." Do not take my story as typical. I find people who have had their rectums totally removed have a lot more issues than those with part of their colon removed. Although I did have a significant part of my colon removed also. My cancer was pretty advanced. I hope all goes well for you. I will keep my eye on your name on the board to see how you progress.

Closed Thread