It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
(male)

stevoramabama HB User
Ostomy Leakages... skin barrier films

I am trying to solve a leakage issue with my ileostomy. The coloplast ( with the rigid flange or wafer) product is not working. The hospital ( using an older less expensive coloplast flange) used a "3M no Sting Barrier Film". It is a one square inch sponge and you rub the skin around the stoma with this ( be careful not to touch the stoma..it will burn). It creates a thin barrier and it allowed the flange to stick for 3 days!! The newer Coloplast flanges, because they are designed with different chemicals do NOT work with this Skin Barrier. I tried it and the adhesive on the flange did not work at all...2 hours later I was back at the beginning.

The coloplast products remind me of Microsoft software. Version 1.0 has these feaures,,,version 2.0 now requires different upgrades and the existing apps no longer work.

Does anyone have any experience with "3M No Sting Barrier Film" or Hollister's equivalent product called "All Kare". These are designed to
provide a barrier film layer on skin under tapes, skin barriers, adhesive and hydrocolloid dressings to help protect against irritation, excoriation and adhesive build-up.

thanks

Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
(female)

kjmiller HB User
Re: Ostomy Leakages..skin barrier films

I have no info to help you. I had my reversal a year ago. Don't know why the changed the wafer. I found using the Barrier film and the the wafer worked great as long as I cleaned well, and let the film area dry well before putting on the disk. Sorry they changed things and you are having to refigure things out. Please post back if you solve the situation, as in another year, if my digestion issues don't improve, I might be having to have an ostomy put back in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmiller View Post
I have no info to help you. I had my reversal a year ago. Don't know why the changed the wafer. I found using the Barrier film and the the wafer worked great as long as I cleaned well, and let the film area dry well before putting on the disk. Sorry they changed things and you are having to refigure things out. Please post back if you solve the situation, as in another year, if my digestion issues don't improve, I might be having to have an ostomy put back in.
Hi Kjmiller,
Thank you for reading and replying to my post.The new Coloplast products ( rigid wafers ) do not work with 3M Skin Barrier film. There is an equivalent skin barrier product called All Safe by Hollister. I did not try that. Evidently the newer Coloplast products are chemically treated to bind with the skin ( in theory) and skin barrier films such as the 3M Skin Barrier acts to neutralize the adhesive capability of the wafer.
Also I found stoma paste put on the wafer like a ring close to the opening also does not work.

Fast forward, yesterday the home care nurse came with a supply of Hollister poducts. The wafers are more flexible and more easily take on the shape of the body.
Point form summary
-we continue to measure as acurately as we can the stoma size. For me it
is getting more elliptical..eventually the size stabilizes, but I am not there yet.
-because of skin redness, the nurse put on some powder, I will find out the name.
- she also applied the 3M Skin Barrier film
- she also had Aekon strips..this comes in various forms but this was like a
paste and she formed a ring close to the wafer opening.
- once the wafer was placed on with some pressure the aekon paste came snug up to the stoma and using the handle of the small scissor ( small enough) she tried packing it down carefully not touching the stoma.
- she also brought a stoma belt. This is a 1 1/4 inch wide adjustable white rubber belt which attaches on to a clip located on each side of the pouch. The belt basically wraps around your body and keeps the flange or wafer snug to the body. Be careful not to make it too tight because it can be uncomfortable and also IT CAN PULL THE POUCH OFF THE FLANGE
and you will have a royal mess!!!! I know!!! The Hollister pouches come with a snap-on mechanism. If there is enough force ( does not require much the pouch will come loose.
The Coloplast products had a release mechanism which I think is more secure.

I had a very restful sleep and the system is still holding ( almost 18 hours )!!!

I am hoping to get up to 5 days with one wafer...my record thus far is 2 1/2 days. I have had coloplast products that leaked after 2 hours!!!!

I mentioned to the nurse that I have nuclear acid it destroys everything...impossible she said.

Good luck with your diet. I do believe there is a formula that will work for you
it is simply discovering it. I go back to basics and there is far too many chemicals/steroid/fertilizers used in our foods.

All the best
Steve

Last edited by stevoramabama; 02-26-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
(female)

kjmiller HB User

I am wondering if the powder was stoma powder which I also used. I used a belt for a while till I got good at putting my pouch on. I think when I had a colostomy, I changed pouches every 3 to 4 days, and my ileostomy about every 2 to 3 days. Ileostomies leak easier because of the runny and acidic nature. Some days when I have a lot of pain and a lot of accidents, I wish I still had the ostomy. But most the time, I remember the skin issues I had (mainly with the ileostomy), and hope I never have to go back. But we'll see.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

[QUOTE=kjmiller;4693898]I am wondering if the powder was stoma powder which I also used. I used a belt for a while till I got good at putting my pouch on. I think when I had a colostomy, I changed pouches every 3 to 4 days, and my ileostomy about every 2 to 3 days. Ileostomies leak easier because of the runny and acidic nature. Some days when I have a lot of pain and a lot of accidents, I wish I still had the ostomy. But most the time, I remember the skin issues I had (mainly with the ileostomy), and hope I never have to go back. But we'll see.[/QUOTE

Yes you are probably correct because as she was putting it on some got on the stoma..that's OK she replied.

The Home Care people tell me that the flange or wafer should last a good 5 days and the pouches should be replaced over 2 to 3 days. My limited experience thus far has been quite the opposite. The pouches to me are designed extremely well ..they could last 2 weeks in my humble opinion (IMHO). The skin issues can be very irritating. The good news is that it recovers quickly. There are people posting to this site ( 9 years with ileostomy) doing everything they did before, leading normal lives. There is most likely a lot of detail left out from that statement. My reversal is scheduled for May ( exact date is unknown).

Old 02-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
(female)

kjmiller HB User

That is interesting, I was never told to reuse the wafer, and for the life of me I don't remember a time that I think that would of worked. When I had the ileostomy, I also had a hard time staying hydrated but that might have been because I was having chemo or recovering from chemo. Hope you are having better luck staying hydrated. I had to give myself I.V.'s everyday. May is not that far away. Good luck

Old 02-26-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmiller View Post
That is interesting, I was never told to reuse the wafer, and for the life of me I don't remember a time that I think that would of worked. When I had the ileostomy, I also had a hard time staying hydrated but that might have been because I was having chemo or recovering from chemo. Hope you are having better luck staying hydrated. I had to give myself I.V.'s everyday. May is not that far away. Good luck
Hello Kjmiller,
You are right the wafer or flange is NOT re-usable but the pouch is certainly
resuable.Once the adhesive fails on the wafer that's it, you need a new one. My mistake, if I explained it incorrectly.
Hydration is a problem for ileostomists ( i just made a new word). The colon normally extracts the liquid but since it is not part of the equation, the body cannot maintain its hydration capability without you drinking at least 2 litres of liquids each day.
I find this quite challenging. Also you need to replenish salts ...probably linked to dehydration.

Take care
steve

Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
(female)

kjmiller HB User

Yes, I drank a lot of gaterade and took potasium. Now, the thought of gaterade makes me sick. I must of misunderstood you about reusing the wafer. Really couldn't see how that would work. I did not reuse my pouches. They are expensive but my insurance provided me with 20 a month, so I did not feel the need to do so. I am really enjoying us conversing back and forth on these issues and after your reversal, being over a year out from mine, I might be able to brain storm on issues you will run into then.

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmiller For This Useful Post:
stevoramabama (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

Hello,
Yes, thank you very much for your support. I will post more

Steve

Old 03-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
(male)

Mike Phelan HB User
Re: Ostomy Leakages... skin barrier films

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoramabama View Post
I am trying to solve a leakage issue with my ileostomy. The coloplast ( with the rigid flange or wafer) product is not working. The hospital ( using an older less expensive coloplast flange) used a "3M no Sting Barrier Film". It is a one square inch sponge and you rub the skin around the stoma with this ( be careful not to touch the stoma..it will burn). It creates a thin barrier and it allowed the flange to stick for 3 days!! The newer Coloplast flanges, because they are designed with different chemicals do NOT work with this Skin Barrier. I tried it and the adhesive on the flange did not work at all...2 hours later I was back at the beginning.

The coloplast products remind me of Microsoft software. Version 1.0 has these feaures,,,version 2.0 now requires different upgrades and the existing apps no longer work.

Does anyone have any experience with "3M No Sting Barrier Film" or Hollister's equivalent product called "All Kare". These are designed to
provide a barrier film layer on skin under tapes, skin barriers, adhesive and hydrocolloid dressings to help protect against irritation, excoriation and adhesive build-up.

thanks
I've had an ileostomy for over a year and tried a lot of different products. I have settled on Holister "adapt" paste. A thin layer of this paste is applied to the sticker/barrier right around the hole on the inside (sticky part) before pressing it down firmly around the stoma.

I've had my fair share of leaks and burning and have realized the most important thing when replacing your barrier is cutting the hole to the perfect size. You want to cut the hole as close as you can to the exact shape and contour of the stoma radius as possible. Then apply paste to inside sticky part press down firmly and you should be good for 3 to 5 or 6 days depending on activity. I've found that the more physical I am the more I have to change my Barrier.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 03-07-2011 at 10:52 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Phelan For This Useful Post:
stevoramabama (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your reply. You are absolutely on the money. For me it was a combination of the following:
- switched to hollister product ( convex flanges)
- use of aekon paste ( or stoma paste) applied the way you described)
- I also use 3M Skin Barrier...this creates the sticky surface
- The last trick for me is to use a stoma belt..this holds the flange snug to the body.
( be very careful when adjusting this...because it is under tension it can pull the pouch off the flange...BIG MESS)

I am up to 4 days now; working towards 5 days per flange.

steve

Last edited by stevoramabama; 03-07-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
(male)

stevoramabama HB User

Hope you received my reply...struggling with the software...

Closed Thread