It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

Ench HB User
Colonoscopy again!

If anyone can give me a measure of hope believe me it is welcomed.
I had a colonscopy 2 1/2 years ago.
Doctor found precancerous polyps...
Told me to get checked in 2 years. well I am at 2 1/2 years now.
Worried it may have gotten worse and have scheduled anothe colonscopy for this Monday morning. How often does a precancerous polyp turn to cancer? He told me he removed it. but I am very worried now that I recently learned they can come back as cancer. Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User
Re: Colonoscopy again!

First, I am not a doctor. But after I had a precancerous polyp removed, I did some research and found that they express the probabilities of them turning cancerous in terms of probability within 5 years and 10 years. I forget the numbers but it was something like, 10% chances of turning cancerous within 5 years. So, even if there was a fragment of the polyp left (unlikely), chances are tiny that it would have turned cancerous this fast. I had another polyp after one year but it was small and benign. He checked the site of the original one and there was nothing there. (I know; I don't bother with sedation and that's one of the advantages.)

So, you're doing the right thing and in all likelihood the results will be very boring. Good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to AThena53:
Ench (03-19-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to AThena53 For This Useful Post:
Ench (03-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ench View Post
If anyone can give me a measure of hope believe me it is welcomed.
I had a colonscopy 2 1/2 years ago.
Doctor found precancerous polyps...
Told me to get checked in 2 years. well I am at 2 1/2 years now.
Worried it may have gotten worse and have scheduled anothe colonscopy for this Monday morning. How often does a precancerous polyp turn to cancer? He told me he removed it. but I am very worried now that I recently learned they can come back as cancer. Any help is appreciated.
I think they always remove them when they find them, and that once a polyp is removed, it doesn't tend to recur.
However, you might develop other polyps in the future, if you're prone to them.
Which means you need to have regular colonoscopies for the rest of your life, on whatever schedule your doctor advises, and that whenever he finds polyps he'll remove them, and in this way they'll never have a chance to develop into cancer.
I think most middle-aged and older people have to deal with this, actually... even the former president! I remember reading in the news a few years ago about how *more* polyps had been discovered in George W Bush's colon at his latest colonoscopy (he'd had them before, apparently) but had been removed, so there was nothing to worry about.
So I guess it's a pretty common thing to have to deal with.

Best of luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kali333:
Ench (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
(female)

Ench HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThena53 View Post
First, I am not a doctor. But after I had a precancerous polyp removed, I did some research and found that they express the probabilities of them turning cancerous in terms of probability within 5 years and 10 years. I forget the numbers but it was something like, 10% chances of turning cancerous within 5 years. So, even if there was a fragment of the polyp left (unlikely), chances are tiny that it would have turned cancerous this fast. I had another polyp after one year but it was small and benign. He checked the site of the original one and there was nothing there. (I know; I don't bother with sedation and that's one of the advantages.)

So, you're doing the right thing and in all likelihood the results will be very boring. Good luck!
ATHENA..THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY... COLONOSCOPY WENT WONDERFUL THOUGH HARD TO BELIEVE AS i WAS CONVINCED I HAD CANCER....AND THE DOCTOR SAID YOU ARE FREE TO GO HOME AND I WILL SEE YOU IN 5 YEARS! THANK GOD! BUT I WON'T WAIT 5 YEARS FOR THE NEXT ONE...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

Thanks for letting us know! I'm supposed to wait 5 years till the next one, too, and will probably be back in half that time.

Closed Thread