It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
2 questions regarding colon cancer symptoms

Hi -
I'm asking this question for my neighbor. I don't know the answer and don't want to guess.

She has a colonoscopy scheduled for May 11. It was scheduled yesterday. Based on her symptoms it was the soonest she could get with the doctor she wants. If she goes elsewhere she can get sooner. She's debating. Her primary care scheduled this and was sketchy on answers to questions telling her to relax and just get an answer from the test. Of course, she'd like to know if anyone has an idea from their experience.

Her stats: 51 years old, occasionally constipated (not often) and when she is it's very medication related. She takes about 8 to 12 percocets a week due to a foot injury. (I'm telling you this for grins and giggles - her husband ran over her foot with their sleep 8 pop up camper last summer. Yep. ) No one in her immediate family has had colon cancer. (Parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins)

Her question: About 1.5 months ago she had a week where she frequently felt like she still had to have a bowel movement after having one. Pretty much daily. About 3/4 of the time she actually had to go more and would in about 20 minutes. In other words, most of the time when she had the feeling of needing to go more, she actually needed to go more. Then it stopped for several weeks and started again last week. So with that she went to her doctor and got scheduled. Her main question is: If this is a symptom of a problem, would it come and go? And when they say that feeling like you have to have a bowel movement is a symptom of problems, do they mean it's a symptom if you then can't go? Or when then try to go, there are other issues like bleeding, pain, constipation?

Secondly, with this being the only issue she's having, would you recommend she go to another doctor to get a sooner test.

Thanks for any thoughts. Understand you are not a group of doctors but thought you might have had this experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: 2 questions regarding colon cancer symptoms

I suspect she's fine, but at her age she should be having her first colonoscopy anyway, and regular colonoscopies every ten years after that (or more frequently, if her doctor recommends).
I don't see any reason to rush it; whenever her doctor can fit her in should be fine. None of this sounds like an emergency.
Hemorrhoids cause pretty much the same symptoms as colon cancer, and are way, way more common, and tend to first occur in middle age, just like colon cancer (although hemorrhoids can also occur much earlier, especially in pregnant women).
I suspect your neighbor has occasional constipation and possibly an internal hemorrhoid- very typical complaints for a woman her age.

A routine colon screening (colonoscopy) at age 50 is a good idea, however, because doctors often find and remove polyps during these screenings. Colon polyps are common growths that have the potential to turn cancerous if left untreated.

Best of luck to her.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User
Re: 2 questions regarding colon cancer symptoms

Thank you. That's my instinct too. She bought some sort of home test that you toss a paper into the toilet and it didn't work. She then realized she has a bleach cleaner in the toilet tank and it probably wasn't too smart. So she got a laugh out of that and is a little more relaxed today. The doctor put off an emergency vibe by trying to get her to go to a different doctor who isn't even in network on her insurance to get an earlier date and that had her concerned. Considering her situation, I think he was just offering an option in case she wanted a faster date.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread